MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. emppill

emppill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey! So before people reported always getting 60fps in DS 3, what do you have on avarage?
    In the lava area in perticular, what FPS do you get?
    This would be a huge help since I send my GS43VR in for performance issues, due to the fact that on avarage I got 58fps and especially in the lava area (old demon king) I got around 44-50 only. (maximum graphics settings).
    During my own testing and benching I couldnt find any problems and the other day I got a reply were they said they couldnt either, and I replied that only in dark souls 3 I could see the issues, after that they havent replied yet but it would still be very nice to know if there actually is something wrong or if Im just wasting their time.
    best regards!

2. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi @emppill , I tried walking around the Old Demon King boss area and outside the smouldering lake and I would get a solid 55-58 everything maxed out. (I lose some fps because I have to keep the laptop screen while gaming in an external screen). I put my laptop on a laptop stand, in sport mode and autofans. Maybe you can game in cooler boost to check if overheating is causing the lower fps. Mine seem to be working fine... except the excessive noise, which is to be expected in this laptop.

Ah and don't forget to game from the SSD, and in the NVIDIA options, put let the 3d application decide option (if not I was getting lower fps).

3. emppill

emppill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay cool!
    Well then I guess there was something wrong after all.
    Already tried these options and I couldnt get over 52 when walking around in the lake, temps was more then fine (under 80). Was gaming on the original monitor!

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has everyone updated their bios? A new one was released a couple days ago.

5. Italia_NYC

Italia_NYC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am going to be picking up this laptop this evening at my local MicroCenter. I am going to buy a 1TB M.2 SSD while I'm there to replace the 128GB one that is installed. One question, does anyone know what tool is required to take off the underside of the unit? Is it a regular phillips or is it a torx? And just to confirm; immediately upon removal of said underside, I should be greeted with the M.2 drive yes? I don't have to take apart the entire unit or circuitry?

Prototime likes this.
  6. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should be about 10 philips screws and comes off easily. The drive will be right there staring at you in the lower left with the battery closest to you. You'll need to apply a little extra pressure on the battery side when replacing the back panel though as there is a little resistance from the foam to reduce vibration.

7. Italia_NYC

Italia_NYC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Excellent. Thank you kindly for the information. Appreciate it!

8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @alejo099 - Have you tried everything is the quoted post below (minus maybe going back to Win 7)? If so, and you're still experiencing micro-stuttering when plugged into an external display, your guess is as good as mine. Have you tried different external displays to see if that makes a difference? Tried plugging into the HDMI vs Mini DisplayPort to see if that makes a difference? What about using different cables to conect to the external display? Maybe updating the bios?

Anyway, quoted below is a list of some earlier suggestions:

Sorry if none of this helps or you've already tried it all. It's quite bizarre that your stuttering issues only come up when you use the external display, and it suggests that Optimus really isn't the culprit here, at least not in your case.

@whirledpeas - I assume not, but any luck with fixing the stutter on your end by messing around with the keyboard drivers?

@8x8johan - I don't have any info on this personally, but you might want to search for info on how to fix the chassis of the MSI GS40. The GS43VR uses the same body as the GS40, so the same principles should apply, and there's likely more info out there on the GS40 since it's been out longer.

Thanks for pointing this out! I don't plan on updating the BIOS personally because I haven't had any problems with the current version and would rather not risk creating any.

But maybe owners here who are suffering from the micro-stutter issue can try out updating their BIOS now, and see if it helps resolve that? Worth a shot!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  9. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Prototime, the micro-stuttering still exists even after I updated the keyboard driver so the keyboard driver wasn't the root cause after all. I still think that the issue/root cause is the way optimus is implemented on MSI's Pascal line-up laptops.

We should push MSI to release a fix to resolve this issue (most likely via a BIOS update) since it is affecting many laptop models in MSI's Pascal line-up (e.g. GS43VR, GS63VR, GS73VR, etc.). I have not heard any micro-stuttering issue in MSI's Maxwell or Kepler laptop line-ups or any other brand's Pascal line-up models having this issue so MSI's reputation is on the line here.

slipoftongue likes this.
  10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I completely agree. Perhaps we should start a new thread for GxxxVR owners who are experiencing this issue to participate in the discussion of how best to push MSI on this issue.

Have you tried using out the new BIOS that was released on October 26th to see if that helps? (Since I barely experience any stutter, I haven't downloaded the new BIOS for fear of it introducing new problems, but I wonder if it might actually help address the problem.)

slipoftongue likes this.