MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. SirSaltsAlot

SirSaltsAlot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Enjoy it while you can. With kaby lake comes the death of win7.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. SirSaltsAlot

Reputations:
    That happened on an ultra book from Samsung that I used to own. It went away when I uninstalled the custom drivers that Samsung had put on the machine for the audio and went with stock drivers from realtek.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  3. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The pop-up is controlled by the Realtek HD Audio Manager upon startup.

Go to Task Manger and disable Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Startup tab and then reboot. You shouldn't be prompted again.

hmscott likes this.
  4. slipoftongue

slipoftongue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so much for windows 7. stuttering returns.

hmscott likes this.
  5. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the weight comparison. If that's the case, I will compromise G-Sync for better portability and battery life since I have gotten close to G-Sync experience with RadeonPro already. Still, I will check it out in store just to see how G-Sync performs on the laptop.

I think G-Sync works better in panels with higher refresh rate (like 100Hz, 120Hz, etc.). For 60Hz panels like the one in GL502VM, G-Sync can only shows its tear-free/minimal input lag magic when FPS is below 60 (30 FPS - 60 FPS). As soon as the FPS tries to go above 60 and if V-Sync is set to On in Nvidia control panel, G-Sync's magic is gone and V-Sync will take over to lock the FPS to 60 to prevent tearing. However, input lag will return at the same time. Although of course, one can use frame limiter to lock the FPS to 59 to prevent V-Sync from kicking in.

If V-Sync is set to Off in the control panel and it tries to go above 60 FPS, G-Sync's magic is still gone but it will allow FPS to exceed 60 and input lag will be minimal. However, tearing will return.

Therefore, having a higher refresh rate G-Sync panel is better since a GTX 1060 can easily push FPS above 60 on most games at 1920 x 1080. It allows more room for G-Sync to show its magic before V-Sync kicks in or at least you can use frame limiter to limit to a higher FPS to prevent V-Sync from kicking in.

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  6. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with what your saying. It's just that I like win 10 better. There's more pros to it than to stick with 7 or 8.1 especially with the non support. It finds drivers better etc and better gaming performance. UI is cleaner and better than 8.1 though. I wouldn't write off hardware because of software. But I wouldn't want to go backwards to go forward cos I'll feel like a step behind if you know what I mean running an older os.
    But ultimately I'd live with it as it is if it wasn't for the fact that I'm paying a 1080p screen at £1500. Qhd or 4K would of defo interested me. Aorus x3 is still too pricey despite all the things given at £1800. The AW13 should cost me about £1300 with qhd with or without discount I'm hoping and it shouldn't have stuttering forcing to downgrade os whilst waiting for a solution to remedy it. Part of the reason for upgrade IS to play games like gow4 properly. I bought it. I'm committed now, no going back from win 10 also on the verge of forms horizon 3 and future games that are all windows 10.
    Sorry Windows 10 and Xbox together sold me. I'm selling out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If it happens, too bad for Kaby Lake, not Windows 7/8.1 :D

Windows 7/8.1 are valid, supposedly fully supported through 2020 / 2023.

Windows 10 only gets support for 2 years past Windows 8, support expires in 2025:

Windows lifecycle fact sheet
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

MS better not renege on their original support commitments for Windows 7/8.1.

Kaby Lake better work with Windows 7/8.1, or they are going to have legal challenges to deal with along with lost reputation.

Microsoft has already fully extended support for Windows 7/8.1 for Skylake hardware.

After previously saying they weren't supporting Skylake on Windows 7/8.1, MS committed to fully support Skylake hardware, so I am hopeful MS and / or Intel will wake up in time.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The micro stuttering, how do you recognize it? By feel during game play? Or do you monitor for frame response times and note drops that way? What game(s) do you see this in?

Micro stuttering isn't simple frame drops, it's a specificly detectable occurence of response time drops.

It's there all the time for many games anyway no matter the OS, GPU or CPU, and I think many are too sensitive to this measurement.

I see micro-stuttering registering in games on youtube videos that aren't evident in the view of the game, and certainly not affecting gameplay.

It's nice to get rid of them I suppose, but it may be a bit OCD to chase the tail of that problem - enjoy the game :)

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    A single game is an odd way to decide to give in to tyranny at the mercy of a vendor that clearly has lost their way.

What non-support? MS fully support both Windows 7/8.1 through 2020/2023 up through Skylake, and after enough pressure is applied through the end of OS developments in those end years.

Windows 10 is a horrible buggy ever changing mess that forces updates on you whether they help or hurt your stability. You have no control, and that is no way to have a stable environment to work with.

But, if you want to fight with Windows 10 for control and stability, have fun :)

10. SirSaltsAlot

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure I heard this fact on npr. I haven't checked the internet though. But I'm fairly sure ms is trying to kill win7. Now I have to go look it up....