MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Razer Core bottlenecked Maxwell GPUs by 5-10%. I'm not sure what the bottleneck is for Pascal GPUs, but it will only increase with every new GPU generation. I don't know the answers to your other questions. As @PMF said, you'll also have to make sure the Razer Core works with the GS43VR - it worked with the GS40, so I'm sure it can work with the GS43VR, but you may have to play around with it a bit. Search through the GS40 thread for posts on the Razer Core for ideas on how to set that up if you're going to buy a Razer Core. (But between the insane cost of buying the GS43VR + Razer Core + desktop GPU, the bottlenecking, the input lag/latency that's present at least when gaming on the internal screen, and the hassle of setting a Razer Core up on a non-Razer laptop, I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a Razer Core and going this route - especially since your budget is limited.)

Welcome to the club! I upgraded my SSD to a 500GB 850 Evo (there's actually no SSD called the the "950 Evo", but there is a 950 Pro). I'll run a benchmark on it when I'm at home and let you know how it compares to your scores. What I can say for now is that the 850 Evo's performance is definitely a step up from the stock SSD, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in startup or load times compared to the stock SSD, so if you're primarily concerned with performance I'm not sure upgrading would be worth it. But I'll post benchmark results here for you to see.

Also, I must respectfully disagree with Kevin on getting a 950 Pro. The 850 Evo is cheaper, and in most real-world applications like gaming, there really isn't a performance difference between PCIe SSDs like the 950 Pro and top-model SATA SSDs like the 850 Evo. Here's a pretty good guide comparing the two types of SSDs: http://techreport.com/review/28032/a-fresh-look-at-storage-performance-with-pcie-ssds

Welcome to the lounge! Glad to hear the GS43VR is living up to its name and offering a decent VR experience. :) One thing I'd do is go into the MSI Dragon Center, and on the "System Tuner" tab, then uncheck the boxes under "Xboost." Those options trick the CPU into unnecessarily high usage states all the time and have been responsible for many owners who reporting having their CPU load at 100% even on idle. Other than that, it sounds like you get rid of the bloatware, so you should be good to go!

Not sure if you've seen this quoted post below, but it contains a number of methods that owners have used to get rid of micro-stuttering with various degrees of success. I'm not aware of any updates besides what's on this list.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    PMF likes this.
  2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So since I now have a decently-sized 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD, I took out the 1TB HDD for the time being and plan to put it in an enclosure for use as an external HDD for now. And wow, this machine is noticeably quieter now at idle (dead silent), it's a big contrast. I never fully appreciated how loud the HDD was until after I took it out.

Anyway, @Hana9so - here are the benchmark results of my 850 Evo, as promised. I used the default settings on CrystalDiskMark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 5.2.0 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 548.739 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 519.576 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 188.571 MB/s [ 46037.8 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 157.721 MB/s [ 38506.1 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 508.333 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 497.464 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 27.609 MB/s [ 6740.5 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 56.336 MB/s [ 13753.9 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 41.5% (192.6/464.5 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
    Date : 2016/10/20 0:18:34
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's yours again:
    So my 850 Evo outperforms the stock SSD in most categories, but not by anything drastic.

BTW here's a comparison of CrystalDiskMark scores for various SSDs that I came across, in case that's helpful to you: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-850-evo-ssd-review,13.html

3. slipoftongue

slipoftongue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally installed windows 7 and the stuttering is gone. Hopefully I wont be missing any major features available only for Windows 10!

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yay!! for leaving Windows 10, Congratulations!! :vbthumbsup::hi: +rep!!

slipoftongue likes this.
  5. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, THANKS for the info!!! Yeah, i just don't see enough of a difference to justify the price if i don't need the space.

Hmm, that windows 7 idea about getting rid of the micro stutter issue is tempting. I mean, i like W10 (more than i thought i would); but that stutter is annoying. I'm hoping Nvidia comes out with a driver fix soon, as i'm seeing many others with the 1060 in laptops having the issue. (is there a possibility that optimus isn't even working on W7? as battery life is a concern to me; i need to take this thing to class with me)

6. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only feature I'd miss is games for windows. I just bought gow4 and it doesn't run nice at all. It's like the game know my hardware and won't change no matter what setting I change. I put it on ultra and it didn't change so I won't play it till it looks as it should rather than on low with some medium settings by default on my 960m, plus I have a Xbox elite controller to take advantage of customise able profiles. Been gone from my box friends since 2013. If it can be done on windows. This laptop would be more tempting. The only reason that's stop me purchasing this is price and these issues of stuttering and just 1080p otherwise I'd be all over this. I was going to get the gs40...then news got it pascal was coming in a month. So didn't bother...still pascal-less 3 months on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can "always" find something a particular computer hardware/software combination can't do. Instead of fighting against it's strength's, play to them instead :D

Many Windows Store games are going to be available off the Windows Store, GoW4 is likely not one of them, but that single failure isn't a good judge of a system / solution, it's an exception so it could be treated as an exception.

Run everything else the way you want to, instead of the way MS wants you to :cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    sisqo_uk likes this.
  8. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know a way to get rid of that pop-up every time you plug in headphones? Or is that just built into the system?

9. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi @Prototime, you're welcome. To clarify, when I mentioned "unintended" I meant that the auto-overclocking feature was probably designed to work on other laptop models (specially laptops with "HK" CPUs) to overclock the CPU and GPU and not on our model GS43VR in the first place. I didn't mean that the auto-overclocking feature is unintended. And the fact that we have to change settings in Nvidia control panel or hooking up an external monitor for it to work further shows that this is a surprising discovery rather than a feature designed for our laptop model. If it was the latter, I bet MSI would have advertised it. Therefore, I wouldn't count on that MSI would spend too much effort in fixing it after the latest Windows 10 update broke it.

To answer your frustration about using the Dragon Center and Afterburner together, I just found that MSI has a fan control software called Silent Option where you can monitor and control the CPU and GPU fans and their temperatures. Download the V1.0.1603.3101 version for Skylake CPU here: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=255972.0

Although it wasn't advertised to work on the GS43VR, I have tested it and can confirm that its Advanced mode works on the GS43VR and its interface is exactly the same as the fan control interface on the Dragon Center. The Basic mode doesn't work. The Auto mode allows the laptop to controls the fans automatically based on temperature like the behavior you see when you don't have this software installed. So there you go, you can now safely uninstall Dragon Center and use this software to control the fans instead and use other software (Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, etc) to overclock the GPU. This is the only MSI software I have installed on my laptop now.

hmscott likes this.
  10. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since this micro-stutter issue doesn't repeat itself on Windows 7, I think we can all agree that this issue is software related and not hardware related. So, the logical step to resolve this issue is to find a fix within Windows 10.

Someone online mentioned that micro-stutter issue could be related to a keyboard driver issue on Windows 10. I am following what he suggested and installed a tool to fix this issue. Will post again if this works.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    hmscott likes this.