MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Tur!

Tur! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking the best choise over gt62vr will be buy GS43VR and razer core and after new generation of nvidia gtx 2000 series show up buy new card.
    Is razor core much bottleneck deskop gpu?

Is much difference between gtx1080 deskop vs gtx1080 in razer core?
    Is much differences in fps?

If i disable nvidia nvidia adapter on gs43vr if using on battery will expand time to discharche battery?

I'm only play on 1920x1080 but newer games will be more demanding and newer egpu will do the work for smooth play in hd on max settings.

2. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can save your time. I tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 and a few weeks ago and the Dragon software still gives me this issue after I installed the latest Windows 10 updates with no other software installed. So, that can pretty much conclude that the latest Windows 10 updates is most likely the cause and I doubt MSI will reach out to Microsoft to get it fixed. Plus, this auto-overclocking feature is probably unintended so they probably won't be interested in getting it fixed in the first place. I tried calling MSI support before and they didn't even know that this behavior exists so don't bother calling them. The real MSI tech/dev team is probably based in Taiwan anyway.

slipoftongue likes this.
  3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for that, @whirledpeas - since you already tried this, if you don't mind I will "borrow" your experience and let MSI know that this approach doesn't work, and see what their response is. Though I'm not holding my breath, especially if you already tried calling MSI Support and they have no clue what you're talking about.

The auto-overclocking feature of Sport mode is definitely intentional, though - MSI talks about it on their website in a couple places:

https://www.msi.com/blog/detail/need-more-fps-try-overclocking - a couple paragraphs in talks about how the MSI Gaming Center automatically overclocks the GPU (though doesn't mention Sport mode by name).

https://gaming.msi.com/article/power-saving-in-msi-notebooks - Actually, it looks like MSI just took this page down recently. It used to describe the different Shift modes (Sport, Comfort, Eco) available in the MSI Dragon Gaming CEnter, and it explicitly said that Sport mode overclocked the GPU. I can't find a cached version of this page that works either. This is pretty frustrating, as this was the only description of the different Shift modes I could find whatsoever. From my memory, the page said that Sport mode overclocks the GPU, Comfort mode doesn't but still allows the CPU to boost, and Eco mode does not allow the CPU to boost. (I've also noticed that at idle, my CPU temps plunge while in Eco mode.)

So if MSI Support isn't familiar with Sport mode... I guess it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Disappointing.

(This really wouldn't bother me so much if the MSI Dragon Center and MSI Afterburner played nicely together, but they don't. I could uninstall the Dragon Center and use Afterburner to overclock, but then I'd lose the ability to control the fans, make quick temperature checks, and quickly shift between power plans. Not ideal, especially the loss of control over the fans.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey!!!

I just picked up one of these bad boys, and I'm debating on weather or not i should upgrade the stock NVMe SSD it came with. Would i see much of an improvement? I figure since it's already an M.2, it might not be worth the investment. Space isn't an issue for me, as i don't use much at all; I'm fine with the stock 128GB. Would the OS run much faster? I already upgraded the 2.5 HD to an SSD, and I'm throwing all my toys in that box.

So far, i love the machine, it's faster than my current desktop, but still small enough to take to classes with me. I've purged all the crap programs out of it (there was an excessive amount IMO), and it's been great.

Cheers!,
    HANA9SO

hmscott likes this.
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Upgrading it may offer more performance but it is not necessary.
    Run benchmark on your existing drive so you will have an idea how it performs. One of the best upgrades available for NVMe SSD is the Samsung 950 Pro.

6. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 5.2.0 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 539.001 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 488.634 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 250.580 MB/s [ 61176.8 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 166.325 MB/s [ 40606.7 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 487.178 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 413.729 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 13.875 MB/s [ 3387.5 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 52.237 MB/s [ 12753.2 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 47.0% (55.4/117.9 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=5 sec]
    Date : 2016/10/17 19:33:14

These are the results from CrystalDiskMark, with the stock M.2. From what I'm researching, those results don't seem that great.

I checked the price on the 950 EVO, and i can't justify that price, unless it'll be a huge difference

7. Cannit

Cannit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I have just recently received my GS43VR. Its my first gaming laptop - not even had a gaming PC before and have come over from a history of consoles (sega master system, playstations, xb1)

I did quite a bit of research and this laptop ticked all my boxes.. Is there anything i need to do? I have removed Norton but installed McAfee as i use it on all my other laptops / devices. I have removed the Magix software and uninstalled a couple of other programs i dont need. I have got the latest version of windows 10 installed.

I mainly use it for VR as i have the Oculus Rift CV1 and it works great, able to play most games in high - ultra settings. I have Eve Valkyrie, Elite D, Project cars, Luckys tail, Gears of War and all look great. I am in sport mode in the dragon centre, have downloaded afterburner and rivatuner but not touched yet. I have also got Steam and have downloaded a cinema app from that which works great in VR.

I am looking to get a cooling pad just for when i use it the odd time on my lap and am looking at this;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-La...1476774274&sr=8-6&keywords=laptop+cooling+pad
    Cheap but looks like it will do the job...

Future wise i guess it has scope to upgrade RAM to 32GB and swap out HDD for SSD, been looking towards a Samsung 850 pro but thats in the future...

Anyways, Hi all, i will keep an eye on the thread...

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  8. Cannit

Cannit Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for this :)

I have done the same now and it worked for me also. One thing though... The audio driver that it downloads, do i need to do anything with that as after running the Nahimic exe file all works fine, i have extracted the audio driver but am unsure if i need to actually need to use this anywhere or does the exe file find and extract this itself once executed?

Prototime likes this.
  9. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As far as I know, the X3 is actually quiet, and quieter than the GS43 on average (and the Blade obviously). I am basing that off the last version of the X3, and I can't do the same for the AW13 since it's an all-new machine and has gone through a massive change in terms of what TDP it can handle.

Keep in mind that the Core has a whole range of problems associated with it other than the crazy cost. For one, you have no guarantee it will even work with the GS43 unless someone has already tried and confirmed they can get it to work. Two, using TB3 adds latency on the order of 30ms, so if you enjoy fast-paced gaming like shooters, or VR, this is bad. There is some debate on whether this latency is only added when using the internal screen or not (i.e. when the display signal also has to travel back) but still, this is far from the hassle-free solution that I would consider investing another $1000 into. If you're set on the Core, I would get the Blade, since a) hopefully that is the combination they test thoroughly anyway and b) you would at least have some leverage over Razer in terms of making sure it works.

This was already mentioned as well but these two machines are nowhere near each other in terms of portability. The 502VM weights 5.5 lbs vs. 4 lbs for the GS43, and try to see it in-store (or the same body older GL502VT) because honestly when I saw it I realized just how huge it is. Because of G-sync, the battery life is also terrible.

Exactly. No one managed to squeeze a 980M into a 14", so it should be no surprise that no one managed with the 1070, its successor. The other options are the MSI GS30/32 (fingers crossed for new version soon, maybe with 1050 launch) with the x16 PCIe dock, and an Alienware with the graphics amplifier.

whirledpeas and Prototime like this.
  10. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any updates on the microstuttering situation? Are people still experiencing it and just dealing with it or is there a guaranteed fix aside from forcing the 1060 to run 24/7? Saw someone on the Razer sub reddit who mentioned having some lag in Windows 10 and wondering if it's an across the board GTX 1060/Windows 10 issue or what.