MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Tur!

Tur! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    I've got GS40 6QD and i'm very proud of this machine.
    Unfortenly in Mafia III on 1600x900 on low i've got 35-45FPS it's time for change.

I'm thinking about buying GS43VR and razer core I'm thinking it should be enought to half next year.
    Then i will buy new generation descop card and connetct with razer core this with 6700hq and 32gb dd4 should be enought for next 2 years what do You thinking?

Or i can buy GT62VR with 1070 but for how long it fill be fine in fhd (1080p)? For year or two?
    More futer is in gs43vr + blast core
    I've must change my gs40 its already sold.
    14 inch is the best for me.. this mobility is great.
    I can buy a 15 inch laptop but.. GT62VR don't have tb3. So i see less future in him.

hmscott likes this.
  2. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look at the Eurocom Tornado F5 (MSI 16L13) - it is a barebones based on the MSI GT62VR, and has a desktop socketed processor, a 1070, TB3. Ask @Diversion and @Talon about it - they own it. Also ask @hmscott - he is very knowledgeable, very nice and very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Jorcans

Jorcans Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I've decided to buy the MSI GS43VR because of it's size (very light and portable) and it's components.
    However I have a couple of questions about the laptop:

1- Any of you guys uses the laptop as a desktop? Plugged to a monitor, keyboard and mouse? I want a gaming laptop because I travel for work, but when I will be home I want it to use it as a desktop replacement, using a 22-24 inches screen. Will it be any issue for long gaming sessions? What about the screen resolution?

2- I don't have any rush for buying it, do you think there would be a good deal for buying it? Right now it is 10% off at cukusa. What about Black Friday/Cyber Monday? or do you think there would be a better deal at Christmas?

Thank you guys!

4. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I heard back from MSI support on the issue of Sport mode in the Dragon Center no longer auto-overclocking, and they said to uninstall the Dragon Center, restart, and reinstall the Dragon Center. Unsurprisingly, this did not fix the issue, and I'm waiting to hear their next response. I'll keep everyone posted.

When I'm at my desk, I have my GS43VR propped up on a laptop stand and use a wireless keyboard and mouse, and it works great. I also regularly plug my GS43VR into my television to game on it, and that's enjoyable as well. I don't see any reason why it'd be a problem for you to use a GS43VR external monitor/keyboard/mouse while at home. In fact, gaming on an external display might even be preferable. One of the nice perks of the GS43VR is that its HDMI and Mini DisplayPort ports are connected directly to the GTX 1060, meaning that you can connect an external display that supports Gysnc (the internal display doesn't support Gysnc) so you don't have to worry about screen tearing, and that you're less likely to have micro-stuttering issues while gaming. Be warned though that the HDMI port supports only HDMI 1.4, not HDMI 2.0. So if you want to take advantage of a monitor that supports 4K resolution at 60hz, either connect the GS43VR to it using a Mini DisplayPort 1.2 cable, or connect it using both a High-Speed HDMI 2.0 cable and also an Active Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapter. The adapter is relatively inexpensive: https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQCUGW?th=1

That said, I wouldn't recommend gaming at 4K resolution - the GTX 1060 can't handle that resolution well at all. I game at 1080p, which allows me to max out almost all settings on modern games, and I'm pleased with it both when gaming on the internal display and an external display. As I mentioned, I often game on my 4K television, but I do so at 1080p resolution. The results are still fantastic; since the number of pixels in a 4K resolution is evenly divisible by the number of pixels in a 1080p resolution, there's no detail that's really lost. The GTX 1060 should also be able to support gaming at 1440p resolution so long as you don't max out all of the settings, but I don't have any personal experience gaming at that resolution.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  5. Jorcans

Jorcans Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your quick response! I'm not planning to game at 4K, I was just wondering if playing at 1080p would look good in an external monitor or TV.

If you don't mind asking you a couple more questions... I've read the laptop can be very noise, that is fine with me because most of the time I'm wearing a headset so I guess I won't even notice. But I'm more concerned about the heat issues, I usually use a standard laptop stand cooler, will that be enough? Can it get very hot if I game when on my lap?

Thanks again! :)

6. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi @Prototime,

No, I haven't had much time to research for another program to control the fans yet. Would be nice to have a simple program which can probe the temperature and control the GS43VR fans though. But I have been playing with another tool called RadeonPro to ease my frustration of not having a G-Sync internal display. On contrary to what the name may suggest, it DOES support Nvidia GPUs to a great extend (90% of its features work in my experience).

Having a G-Sync display makes a difference when gaming, specially when the FPS is below your display's refresh rate (e.g. 60 FPS). It removes tearing and stuttering with minimal input lag. I have to use RadeonPro with V-Sync Always On (to get rid of tearing at any FPS), Triple-Buffering On (to prevent harsh V-Sync FPS drop/stutter when FPS can't reach 60), and set Dynamic Frame Control (DFC) to 60 FPS (to minimize input lag) to get close to the G-Sync experience. It's still not the same experience since V-Sync introduces some input lag although RadeonPro's DFC feature can suppress it.

One other benefit of running RadeonPro is Dynamic V-Sync, which is like Nvidia's Adaptive V-Sync that turns V-Sync On when the FPS goes above the display's refresh rate and turns V-Sync Off when FPS goes below the refresh rate. Nvidia fails to make Adaptive V-Sync work on mobile Pascal GPUs (it's not even an option from its control panel) so this is the only tool I find which can bring this feature back. However, Dynamic V-Sync doesn't prevent tearing when it turns V-Sync Off when the FPS is below 60 so I prefer the method above as it prevents tearing at any FPS. However, with V-Sync Off, you do get the least amount of input lag.

However, RadeonPro doesn't work on the new DX12 or Vulkan games and the developer has cease its development since November 2013. So having a G-Sync display is still better and more future proof.

Have you or anyone else researched about the Asus ROG GL502VM? Looks like it's very similar to the GS43VR on pretty much all aspects but it has a G-Sync display. Does it have any cons comparing to the GS43VR? Would be nice to hear the experience from someone who owns it or have played with it.

7. Prototime

Reputations:
    No problem. The laptop cools well even without a cooler. During heavy gaming sessions my GPU temps are in the 70s and CPU temps are in the 60s, and I don't use a cooler, just a metal mesh laptop stand (and that definitely does help -- I've noticed a 5 C difference when gaming on a flat wooden desk). I did have my reseller apply IC Diamond Thermal Compound to the CPU and GPU which helps, and you might want to consider that. (I also undervolted the CPU by a fair amount to lower temps, but the undervolt didn't change the temps much.) But even without that, these temps are similar to what other GS43VR owners have reporter. If you have a laptop cooler, I'm sure your GS43VR temps will be just fine. I don't have any experience gaming with the GS43VR on my lap, though, so I'm not sure how comfortable that is. (Non-gaming usage on the lap is fine.)

That's interesting about RadeonPro, I hadn't heard of it before - I may have to check it out. Bummer that it doesn't support DX12 though.

On my end, I haven't touched Dynamic Frame Control, but I've definitely been using Vsync to prevent screen tearing. I've read an article claiming that setting an FPS limit of Refresh Rate -1 will prevent the input lag issues associated with Vsync: http://mystrd.at/articles/v-sync-mouse-lag-how-to-fix-it/

I have no way to measure this precisely to confirm if it's true (and I'm a bit suspicious), but I've used MSI Rivatuner to limit the FSP to 59 while Vsync is on, and I haven't seen any screen tearing nor have I noticed any bothersome input lag. I also game with a controller though, and I've heard anecdotally from a couple people that input lag is lower when using a controller than when using a mouse - not sure how true this is either though, or why controller vs. mouse would make a difference.

But regardless, I feel your pain on the lack of G-sync - I'd rather not have scour the internet to find tricks or programs like RadeonPro just to try to mimic it. It'd be nice if nvidia could figure out a way to make Gsync and Optimus play nice together.

On your last question, are you already looking to replace your GS43VR? ;) I haven't done too much research into the Asus ROG GL502VM because it's a bit big for my tastes (15.6") and heavier than ideal. And this isn't a deal breaker, but I also noticed that the RAM is upgradeable only to 24GB (vs. 32GB for GS43VR), so it's less future-proof. Still, overall the specs look really similar, and that G-sync display looks great! Would be curious to see how it handles battery life, and whether it has a MUX switch or not.

8. Prototime

Reputations:
    Update from MSI on the auto-overclocking malfunction with Sport mode in the MSI Dragon Center. They want me to wipe everything on my drives and perform a factory reset, and then perform Windows updates before installing anything, and then see if the issue is resolved. Yeah, no thanks. I have better things to do than backup and restore all of my data when I'm certain that the issue will persist. It's clearly a software bug with the Dragon Center that isn't unique to my system - I've told MSI Support repeatedly that I've talked to other GS43VR owners who have this same issue. Even if factory resetting would actually fix it (and I highly doubt it will), do they really expect all GS43VR owners to factory reset their computers just to get MSI's own software to work properly? No, they need to release a fix for this. Count me as pretty disappointed with MSI Support right now.

9. Tur!

Tur! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Eurocom Tornado f5 is noy possible for me.. I'm from poland and my budget is limited.

Only positions for me is:
    GS43VR + razer core or
    GT62VR also I'm consider Clevo SI 16L13

GS40 is perfect for me.. Keybord, Screen i love it.. only speakers.. but nobody is perfect.
    Why they don't put gtx1070 to gs43vr .. it will be then perfect laptop.

10. Prototime

Reputations:
    Probably because the GTX 1070 will overheat in a 14" laptop. If you want a 14" laptop and the power of a GTX 1070, then your best option right now is to get a GS43VR or Aorus X3 or New Razer Blade 14 + Razer Core + GTX 1070 desktop GPU. These are all very expensive set ups, but it'll give you the power you want and the ability to upgrade GPUs in the future.