MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. emppill

emppill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh really?
    Hmm, I just reset the laptop because that was a tip from the support of MSI. How are your temps when playing? Do you get solid 60 in the chaos lake, level when snow is falling and farron swamp as well?

Also switched to SSD before, helped a lot but not to solid 60. Also on sport mode with laptop plugged. Do you use a second screen?

Also! Which version of Nvidia drivers are you on? Also are you using some kind of special settings in the Nvidia control panel?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  2. emppill

Reputations:
    Well, I contacted support because I'm guessing then that something is not perfectly correct with my laptop...

3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure why, but Sport mode doesn't seem to be auto-overclocking the GPU anymore for me, even on the external display. In fact, the GPU core and clock are now each being automatically underclocked by -1 mhz. This happened a few times before occasionally, but now it's always happening. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Any luck with MSI support?

emppill likes this.
  4. emppill

Reputations:
    Hope it works out with the overclocking, will be great if I can do that later as well! Maybe you installed a update to Dragon Center or so?

No not yet, I'm supposed to contact the closest support station since I've tried everything from remote support already, they haven't replied yet so I'm waiting for that!

Prototime likes this.
  5. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would start looking for throttling, I think Afterburner has a throttling measurement

Prototime likes this.
  6. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I experience the same behavior. Not sure if it is related to the latest Windows 10 Anniversary update but I think the auto-overclocking stopped working after that for me. I tried re-installing the Dragon center but no luck still. So I ended up removing it altogether after as it has no more value to me besides the CPU+GPU fan control, which I am comfortable leaving their settings at default without tweaking.

Have you found any other software which can control the CPU+GPU fans? Seems like the Dragon center is the only software that can do that for now.

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  7. Cezary

Cezary Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am owner of GS43VR for about 2,5 weeks. I have problem with audio from jack 3.5 output. I am using Beats Pro professional headphones and this headset works brilliants with my mobile and my old laptop and with other laptops. But sound from Jack output from this laptop is unbeliveable poor, flat and without any low frequencies and after I cross 70% of audio power it's sounds totally ****ty and it's screeching. I try other speakers and headphones bluetooth and usb and it works totally better when I am using bluetooth audio transition or USB port, so there is something with this jack port or this 'brilliant' sabre dac thing. I have Realtek audio driver from 4th october of this year and uninstalled Nahimic software. Does any of you has the same problem with thiers laptop? It is because their is undeveloped adequate drivers for sounds in this laptop yet? Or maybe my device has technical deffect and need to be return to technical service?

Thanks in advance for answers.

8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good idea. My temps have been staying well below their throttle points though, and this auto-underclocking happens when the computer boots up, so I don't think it has to do with throttling.

Yeah, the Dragon Center was recently updated, and I also did just get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, and those are really the only things that have changed recently. I suspect the issue is probably with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, unless MSI screwed up their own tool. Maybe I'll open a support ticket with MSI to alert them to this issue, if they aren't already aware. I doubt they're okay with Windows 10 updates breaking their software.

Fan control is the biggest reason I've had for keeping the Dragon Center. I know of one other tool that allows control over the CPU+GPU fans, and that's a tool developed by Svett, an administrator on the MSI forums. It's called "MSI EC-FW Editor," and it was just updated a couple weeks ago with support for the GS43VR. I haven't used this tool myself (though I might in the future, if the Dragon Center gives me issues), but I've heard great things about it from others, including resellers. I believe Svett asks for a donation before he'll distribute it. Here are the details: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=148273.0 (you'll have to scroll past info on the Vbios Tuner, just Ctrl+F "MSI EC-FW Editor")

Let us know how it works out for you!

Strange; I haven't had this issue with my audio jack. How is the sound when it comes out of the laptop's internal speakers? Does it sound distorted or like it's crackling? I had some issues with this after receiving the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (though in my case, updating the Realtek audio drivers and uninstalling Nahimic fixed this for me, and I was then able to re-install Nahimic without issue).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  9. Fabio Cruz

Fabio Cruz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone!

Hope you are all enjoying your laptops! I have had nothing but bad luck since I got mine but am finally settling down and just enjoying the laptop for what it is...dents and all.

Originally, out of the box I had a dead headphone jack, sent it in for RMA (instead of just returning it like a dummy) and got it back with working jack but a nice little dent on the palm rest (they screwed the hard drive screw WAY too tight) and a small crack on the rear corner (hard to see unless you analyze you new $1500 laptop for any imperfections because you expect it to be spotless just as it was out of the box). After all of this, I just decided to keep it as is instead of wasting another month with the RMA process - I opened up the laptop, replaced the stock 16GB RAM with 32GB of Crucial 2400MHz, replaced the 128GB SATA M.2 with a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro. After I cloned the old drive to the new drive I was off to the races. Had to uninstall the Nahimic software to fix the TERRIBLE sounding speakers and (now working) headphone jack, also disabled a bunch of the MSI stuff except for dragon center, ran all the windows updates and made sure all my drivers were up to date....

Now here's my question: Even before these modifications and even before i removed all the MSI software - I feel like my CPU is ALWAYS at 100% whether i am in the balanced or high performance windows power plan. While windows 10 was installing the anniversary update my laptop sounded like a jet engine. A simple disk cleanup and a game install (at the same time) keep my CPU at 100% which drives the fans crazy as well. I have tried variations of the dragon center set to eco or sport (along with different fan options) and the CPU always gets pinned doing basic stuff. I am coming from an XPS 15 which had the same exact Intel 6700HQ and this was NOT the case. I also have an HP ZBook 15 G3 with the same CPU at work and again, the CPU does not behave like this. I checked if there was a newer version of the BIOS and there is not - I even went as far as removing the CPU and GPU heatsinks, removing the stock thermal paste and applying arctic silver 5. This process has not really changed the performance of the CPU. However, I can say changing the thermal paste made the fans run a bit slower and quieter because the CPU is slightly cooler but the CPU is still getting pinned all the time. I tried to search this thread but didnt find anything exactly like this. Am I the only one experiencing this? Do any of you guys have any tips?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you check task manager to verify if the CPU is running at 100%?
    What if you unload MSI Dragon Center?

Fabio Cruz likes this.