MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New NVidia drivers are out, 372.90, but they don't seem to have fixed my micro stutter issues.

I am not so sure this issue will be fixed, and it's really unfortunate because I like the laptop aside from this. Am strongly considering returning it for a new Alienware 15 or something else with a 1060.

hmscott likes this.
  2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AFAIK the only 100% sure solution to Micro-Stuttering is getting a laptop with a G-Sync certified panel, MUX switch (unfortunately a lot more expensive) or both. Unless it is an actual software defect, probably resulting from driver conflicts or Optimus not switching graphics the way it should, then all the other Pascal laptops with Optimus will have the same issue. Hopefully a workaround can be found later and my statement stands correct.

hmscott likes this.
  3. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Removing Nahimic and setting the GTX 1060 to the "preferred graphics processor" in Nvidia has reduced microstuttering to an unnoticeable to nonexistent level for me on the GS73. Someone else has recommended removing Intel Rapid Storage.

hmscott likes this.
  4. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That stuttering you are referring to is on Windows or while playing games?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. montobrah

Reputations:
    In Windows. It seems to have something to do with switching from Intel HD 530 graphics to the GTX 1060 and vice-versa.

hmscott likes this.
  6. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have seen many "workarounds" on the internet but none have entirely fixed the micro-stuttering as it comes back the next day. Some claimed to have fixed it by removing the touchpad driver, some by simply updating some drivers, and some by deleting the bloatware and some programs.
    It's very hard for me to believe the entire OS is freezing for 1 to 2 seconds due to some simple software problem. This is something else, and at the moment, it has not yet been discovered.

Or simply put, Craptimus. :D
    Okay I'm just kidding.

hmscott likes this.
  7. montobrah

Reputations:
    Currently, the microstutters only last for a fraction of a second and occur rarely. The SSD is really slow though. Sometimes there is a serious 1-2 second delay when the SSD is under 100% usage and I'm doing something else demanding with it, but that was mostly at the beginning when I first got the laptop and all the annoying Windows updates were installing and the bloatware was still dragging everything down. My GS73 does have different hardware so that may make a difference.

hmscott likes this.
  8. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try turning off Link State Management in Intel Rapid Storage under Performance. It helps me reduce the micro-stuttering on Windows 10 GUI. There's no micro-stuttering at all if I hook it up with an external monitor via HDMI or Mini-DP since the dGPU solely drives the display. It's like turning Optimus off.

Also, the Killer 1535 Wifi card connection issue is most likely software related. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and let it run with the Windows stock driver without any Killer software and I had no issue with the card ever since. I was gonna replace it with an Intel card that I bought initially but ended up returning the Intel card as the Killer card has been solid ever since.

hmscott likes this.
  9. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The multiple mentions of Link State Management / Intel Rapid Storage and the slow SSD have made me think - could it be that the SSD is at fault? I remember when early SSDs came out, stuttering was a big issue.

@Prototime are you using the standard 128GB like everyone else? Maybe you all can compare models.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can't make it any worse than "Optimus", even adding Crap makes it better ;)

SkidrowSKT and montobrah like this.