MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also tried to uninstall the touchpad drivers, but no luck, the micro stutters in windows is still there.

It's funny, because when the GPU is activated while the game is going on or something requiring the Nvidia graphics card, I will not get that stutter because the computer does not have to switch between GPUs.

I really hope a Driver fixes this issue, it's the only thing bad about this particular laptop I feel.

2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome find! I'd give you +rep if I could, but the forum isn't letting me because I already did that too recently! I can't wait to try this out.

I think I mentioned earlier that I got tired of Sport mode not auto-overclocking when using the internal screen, so I used MSI Afterburner to manually add +100 MHz to the core clock and +200 MHz to the memory clock. This had been working well for me - I had played several gaming sessions for several hours each, and there was no instability. But I always manually activated the overclock profile in MSI Afterburner after I turned on the computer. Just recently, I decided to click the setting in MSI Afterburner to automatically apply the overclock on boot. The next time I started the computer, I got a BSOD with the error message system_thread_exception_not_handled (nvlddmkm.sys) within a few seconds of the desktop loading. This kept happening every single time I restarted the computer until I booted into safe mode and uninstalled MSI Afterburner. What's weird is that the same +100 MHz core/+200 MHz memory overclock is stable enough when either (1) automatically set at boot by Sport mode, or (2) manually set by MSI Afterburner after booting. If changing the Optimus settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector will allow Sport mode to auto-overclock on boot when using the internal display and without causing the driver to crash, that's fantastic. Though I can't help but wonder why setting the same overclock to apply on startup through MSI Afterburner causes a driver crash...

BTW, @rondocap - have you tried @whirledpeas above suggestion of changing the Optimus settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector to run the computer mostly off the dGPU? Perhaps that will help with your micro-stuttering.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    whirledpeas and hmscott like this.
  3. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update: it turns out that forcing V-Sync or Adaptive V-Sync ON in Nvidia Profile Inspector still has no effect in-game (still getting tearing in-game). The only working settings are the Frame rate limiter and Triple buffering. I should report this bug to Nvidia.

Also, looks like setting only Enable application for Optimus: SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLE is enough to make Dragon Center overclock the GPU upon reboot.

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good review, sounds like a pretty solid laptop! What clocks does the GPU stabalise at over long gaming sessions when no fps limit is set? You could use GPUz to view a 'graph' of the sensor readings so you can see the history of the actual core & memory clocks over time - you can expand the size of the Sensors window and also change sensor refresh rate to something longer like 2.5sec which will allow you to see a history of the readings over a longer period of time (longer period of history). GPUz also tells you why clocks were limited (temperature or power or voltage reasons for instance) - the PerfCap Reason variable on the sensor screen.

5. SirGadden

SirGadden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did a full restore today and wiped everything and the CPU usage bug is now gone :D

Regarding the micro stutter issue:
    Turns out Win 10 automatically reinstalls the Elan trackpad driver so still got microstutters :(
    Optimus ftw! :/

hmscott likes this.
  6. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was going to suggest that it may be reinstalling it in your case. See if you can either a) find a different driver version out there or b) find the driver files on your machine and move them so that Windows no longer knows where to go for the reinstall. On that note, if Prototime can tell you his driver version, it might help diagnose and/or fix the issue.

SirGadden and hmscott like this.
  7. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe someone already told you, but my 2 cents:

Open the start menu --> Type "System" and open it --> "Advanced system settings" --> "Hardware" tab --> Click "Device installation settings" --> There you can disable automatic drivers download/install in Windows 10

SirGadden and hmscott like this.
  8. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Its been a journey to find the right laptop for me. I've been using a Zenbook UX32VD for over four years. Love the laptop. And I wanted a new laptop with a quad-core processor because I can actually use software for work that uses the extra cores. I also game sometimes on the side.

I tried the GS63VR from amazon, but once I received it, it was advertised as having an 1TB HDD and it didn't. I was a bit upset. Also preferred something more small factor, and with less weight for my back since I travel a lot. It got sent back.

Then I looked around for the lightest laptops that had a quad core processor, and found the VAIO canvas.... which was a laptop/tablet hybrid. It was pretty nice, but my unit came with really bad black-light, tried using it for some days and the screen quality was much less than expected due to the defect. It got sent back.

Finally decided to get the GS43VR (XOTIC PC SSD upgraded), its been on my eye for a while. Once I ordered looked at this forum, and there was the reported micro-stutter from hell.

Just opened my GS43VR and guess what?

The microstutter from hell came on as soon as I clicked the battery indicator! As soon as I could uninstalled the touchpad drivers.... No luck.

Then installed FRAPS and let it on, so there would be no switch between GPU and integrated GPU. No luck either. So now what?

Then I think I found a partial solution to the problem. I opened the Nvidia Control Panel, clicked on 3D settings> Adjunt image settings with preview, and left the nvidia logo rolling.

This remains the gpu on, so ther is no switching and once I click on the battery indicator the microstuttering disappears. Leaving this on is not a feasible solution, but might work while MSI comes with a solution to the bug.

Then tried using the laptop without my solution and turns out that the microstutter has not been present at all, unless I click on the battery indicator. Not bad.

I am just going to keep this laptop, tired of finding out the right one for me and this has been doing good so far.

Now to actual first impressions.

Positive:

- They keyboard is actually pretty good. Much better than my zenbook, much better key travel.
    - The screen is pretty bright and has good colors no complains here.
    - The laptop feels super fast. The SSD (Sandisk X400) that Xotic is good. Not sure if an NVME would speed normal use even faster.

Negative (mostly minor annoyances):

- The AC adapter. Honestly this is huge, what is the point of making a light laptop if you end up carrying such a huge AC around. Any idea if they sell a smaller replacement?
    - The fan is on the right-side and is exhausting hot air where I use the mouse. So my hand receives all the heat.
    - The screen is wobbly so as I type this the screen is moving back and forth (a bit).
    - Red keyboard back-light... really tacky for my liking.
    - There is no right-click keyboard button. Any idea how can I program it on alt gr?
    - Norton antivirus and some other nonsence bloatware.

So far I am pleased with this laptop. Guess if I want quadcore, this is as good as it gets in terms of lightweight and portability. I was going to wait for razer blade gtx 1060, but I looked at amazon reviews and there are plenty of complains on the construction quality of the laptop, plus it does not have the international warranty that I like since I travel a lot. 1 year is pretty good.

9. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I actually thought the brick was pretty small for a 180w. My 150w from my gs60 and the 180w from my AW were a lot bigger.

Doubtful that there will be a smaller replacement readily available. Maybe, just maybe, razer will release a portable 180w version, but it'll probably cost you $100-150. They just released a 165w version earlier this year, so I'm not sure what they'll be doing with the new model.

hmscott likes this.
  10. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

It's funny, I came up with a similar temporary solution for the micro stutters. I open up GeForce experience, and I leave it open in the background. That way the GPU is always on and stutters are gone.

what's more frustrating is that when I call MSI tech-support, they have no idea about this problem. But it's obvious that a considerable amount of people are having this issue.

DukeCLR and hmscott like this.