MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've heard of the silicon lottery, but is there also an "Optimus lottery"? I'm just surprised that I haven't really had issues with micro-stuttering (yet, at least?) given so many others here have, and I wonder if there's some setting that I (or my reseller?) inadvertently activated or deactivated that has helped with it for me... :vbconfused:

I will say that my dGPU doesn't really come on much... usually just when I'm gaming or have a benchmarking or monitoring program open... otherwise my iGPU is doing all the work, there doesn't seem to be much unexpected switching between the two GPUs.

I have no idea about #2... doesn't sound right though :confused: Does it only happen when the dGPU is on and/or the dGPU fan is on?

As for #3, that's definitely not right... I have to run a CPU stress test like Prime95 to get my CPU to be consistently at 100%. Sorry I didn't quite catch what you meant about a Win10 fresh install - have you already tried a Win10 fresh install and you're having this problem, or is a Win10 fresh install something you're considering to help fix it?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    SirGadden likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Read back in this thread, a couple of people discovered that high interrupt system process activity went away when they did a complete restore - make sure you back up your stuff first.

It may be a Windows 10 bug that came through an update after the recovery partition was made, so the recovery partition has a better starting image to go from than the booting image - kinda weird since they are supposed to be identical.

They also did full Windows 10 updates on the original install and the recovery restore, and only the Recovery Restore didn't have the problem.

I would also consider running Windows 8.1/7 as they are far more stable and have fewer Microsoft Windows update induced glitches.

Microsoft is still using Windows 10 as the experimental channel for trying out new crazy sh!t that messes with peoples stable computer operation. It's happened constantly over the last year.

Windows 10 updates don't mess up everyone, just a few million at a time :)

SirGadden likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Optimus problems are specifically application dependent, and it can also be a problem with Windows system, driver, and app update levels.

It can also be tuning dependent. Did you disable pagefile and hibernation? Did you tune out the MS telemetry and background services, disable indexing. Did you get OEM drivers for devices instead of relying on MS Generic drivers? Are you using ethernet instead of Wifi? Your router could be more compatible than theirs.

Did you install Nvidia GFE? Or, did you just install the 3 primary Nvidia drivers necessary for supporting the dGPU - video driver, physx driver, HD Audio driver.

I did you then install the latest Intel driver for your CPU/iGPU?

There are so many contributory factors, it's hard to debug, I just sit down and do all the tuning I usually do as above and more and things work as they are supposed to.

Maybe you can go through exactly what you did from the stock out of the box install till now, that way someone else can try it and see if it works for them too.

They would need to restore to the out of the box configuration to have the same starting points as you, but that would also get rid of the System Interrupt process problem. :)

Prototime likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    For whatever reason, none of the 15.6" 1080p panels want to OC past 63hz, it's only the 17.3" and 18.4" panels that have been able to OC to 100hz+

5. SirGadden

SirGadden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The sound is always there regardless of dGPU fan beeing on or off. I wonder if it might be the HDD but I've never previously owned a HDD that sounds like a fan :/

I did try a full reset via the windows settings but to no help :(
    If I want to do a complete fresh install without all the msi bloat I guess I need to download an image from Microsoft and put it on a USB-drive? Would that erase the MSI backup?
    Btw, never updated to Anniversary Update, I guess I'll try that tonight...

Edit: Here's some pictures showing the 100% cpu bug (didn't uninstall all bloatware here btw but have tried that aswell):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ill just add something here. Dont know if itll help or not. Ive got an Asus 550j with 850M. A few weeks back i completely wiped it, and installed windows 10. Right off the bat i did notice the laptop was lagging. A quick look at the task manager and the "system idle process" was taking 100% cpu almost always. I was quite baffled as this was all new with no software or anything installed. I updated Windows defender and Malwarebytes (as these two are the ones i use on my laptop before, not that i was expecting this to help, just the regular stuff being installed). After a few scans from both softwares, it did find one or two things which it quarantined. And after a few restarts, the cpu spike was all gone. Haven't had that repeat again after that. I still dont know what it did or how it fixed it or what happened even.

Just thought it might be similar to what you guys are having. But then again, i cant seem to find a logical explanation to what happened with mine lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well well, "system idle process" is really 100% when system is doing nothing (about) - for example when just browsing it hovers around 98 - 99%.

hmscott likes this.
  8. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can the panel in the GT72VR OC past 75Hz at least? If it does, I might flip the switch and get it.

hmscott likes this.
  9. ekkolp

ekkolp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it can.

The GT72VR panel has 75hz and I can easily OC to 100hz.

hmscott and SkidrowSKT like this.
  10. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if any of you notice this yet. Turning on V-Sync from the Nvidia Control Panel has no effect in games (I still had to manually turn on the in-game V-Sync option to have V-Sync). This seems to be a bug on the driver and I do run the latest version. Also, apparently there's no more Adaptive V-Sync option anymore. Is Adaptive V-Sync not supported on the mobile 1060 anymore?

The driver level V-Sync has less input lag than in-game V-Sync so I always prefer it and unfortunately D3DOverrider does not support 64-bit apps/games so I cannot run it along with most of the modern games. But now it seems like I'm out of luck even on the driver level V-Sync. Does anyone have any other suggestion on another way to force triple buffering and V-Sync? I run V-Sync because I don't want to see tearing and want a cooler laptop. I can use RTSS to cap the framerate to 60 but not sure if it would give me the same experience as V-Sync.

hmscott likes this.