MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) Your warranty will be voided
    2) You have to unscrew all of the screws at the bottom and lift the back cover, there you'll see the ram sticks. Installation is simple
    3) Any SODIMM DDR4 2133 mhz memory stick will do the trick, despite the brand

2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, the warranty won't be voided if you live in the US and, I believe, Canada and possibly elsewhere. These "warranty void if removed" stickers are illegal to enforce at least in the US. See here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal

Also, I've heard from multiple MSI owners that MSI does not mind if you open an MSI laptop to make upgrades or clean it, so long as you don't damage the laptop in the process. See here for a reddit user who received confirmation of this from MSI support: https://m.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3udzsu/msi_laptop_has_a_sticker_that_states_void_if

Plus, since I bought my GS43VR through a boutique reseller in the US that I paid to make some upgrades for me (swapping out the Killer Wireless for Intel Wireless 8260, plus repasting the CPU and GPU with IC Diamond), mine didn't even come to me with a warranty sticker on it :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Paull and hmscott like this.
  3. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I got my GT70 years ago I sent an email to MSI asking about the sticker and they said if all I was doing was putting in a SSD then that would not void the warranty.

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  4. GhostWhisprer

GhostWhisprer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, can you try overclocking the display?
    @Prototime?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not possible with optimus

6. GhostWhisprer

GhostWhisprer Newbie

Reputations:
    That just makes me think even more about a GL502VM.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you mean overclocking the pixel clock/refresh rate of the internal screen above 60Hz?

The only thing that prevents us from doing so right now is the Intel HD Graphics driver. You will get an error if you try to set it pass 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz and many have complained to Intel about this here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/78158

Looks like one user tested the beta driver Intel gave him and confirmed that it worked properly. However, there's no ETA from Intel on when this driver will be released officially. Let's hope that it will arrive soon. Feel free to ask them for an update though.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah for Optimus!!, Optimus Triumph's Again!! o_O:rolleyes:

Intel is working on adding a better Custom Profile section in their Control Panel, you might check it out. All you need to do, essentially, is duplicate the current settings but change 60hz to xxhz to do a Custom Refresh.

It looks like it's still coming and going:

Why are custom resolutions are removed from latest Intel graphics control panel?
    http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/633846/EN

9. SirGadden

SirGadden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got my GS43 yesterday and as much as I didn't want to like it (because of what I'd heard previously) I fell in love with it at first sight... :D
    The screen is really nice, no bleeding at all, no dead pixels and calibrated it at 92% sRGB :)
    No RGB keyboard lighting don't bother me, I like red the most anyway, and atleast the GS43 has the Windows key in the right position (unlike the GS63).
    Getting a 1060 in this small package along with a 6700HQ, 16GB of 2400MHz RAM and a fast PCIe SSD (a Toshiba one btw) is really mindblowing!

However, I've had a few problems:
    1. Microstutter when switching between the iGPU and dGPU as described earlier in this thread, I guess we'll have to wait this one out...
    2. I have a weird sound coming from below the GPU area (between the GPU and the HDD I guess). I can see the GPU fan is idling and the CPU fan just makes a quiet woosh sound so it's neither of those... Anyone have any ideas? It sound just like a fan at semihigh RPM but afaik there's only 2 fans in this notebook? (I'd love to open it up but that would prevent me from sending it back so can't do that)
    3. I have constant 100% CPU usage in Windows, never noticed this in any previous notebooks, is this normal with a fresh Win 10 install? Tried removing all bloatware but still constant 100% workload from boot 'till I shut it down... Seems like it's always different processes that's hogging the CPU so can't pinpoint any particular one :(

Previously tested and sent back both the GS63 and the Asus GL502VT (and will be trying the GL502VM when it starts shiping in Sweden) but discarded them both:
    The GS63 had that awful high pitched fan noise :(
    The GL502vt suffred from so loud coil whine that it even owerpowered the fans at idle :( and ofc that 970m won't cut it nowadays...

steberg likes this.
  10. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm just passing by this thread and I ended up reading many things which totally let me down. I want to thank all the lads taking their time and providing a handful amount of valuable information. Without your effort I wouldn't have had second thoughts about buying the GS43VR!

It seems like micro-stuttering probably caused by Optimus is a serious issue I don't want to deal with once I happen to buy a laptop. While my current 5 YO is an iGPU only, I can't seem to have ever experienced what it feels like. But I'm pretty sure it's frustrating! With this being said, and because I prefer 14" or 15" over 17 inches and above, I'll exclude all the MSI laptops with Optimus built in. No more GE or GS series! :(
    I'm currently eyeing the GT62VR, since it comes with no DVD drive, and has G-Sync which means the monitor can be OC.

hmscott likes this.