MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ran Furmark for about 30 minutes for the stress test. What's your best combined undervolting result so far?

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just a heads up that undervolting the CPU and CPU Cache is one thing - directly CPU related - but undervolting the iGPU on the CPU die I haven't played with much - distant memory from 5 minutes of playing around with OC'ing the iGPU.

What I found from OC'ing the iGPU was that it cut way into the CPU budget for power and power throttled the CPU under load, so it was 2 steps forward and 1 step back - the iGPU would run a little faster in benchmarks but the CPU power throttling held the CPU back in the same benchmarks.

I don't recall there being a specific undervolt option for the iGPU specifically.

Please let me know what you find. :)

3. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seriously... Optimus is s***! I feel like its an imperfect technology. Up until recently, i was all for optimus. More battery life yay! But, nooooo! When i bought my first real gaming laptop, the GT60 770m back in 2013 i think it was, i had so so so many problems. With running everyday apps, to the most frequent games i play. But the experience while no perfect, i got by just fine. At that point i was aware of optimus, but not really against it, as i thought that was the only minor hiccups in an otherwise a great technology. After i sold the GT60, and bought an asus laptop, because i needed the battery life and lightweight at the time, only then did i realize what optimus really can do lol! At the time of writing, even after trying everything i can, i cant run 3 of the 5 games i most often play, because of f*****g optimus! The micro stutters annoy me so much that i just stopped doing everything on that laptop anymore...

Im grateful for the great community here at NBR, which has helped me alot in making a much informed decision, and troubleshooting, and vital info about the technology i buy. These days, im learning quite a lot about BGA. Over at the pascal thread, right @hmscott

While the bashing is quite funny imo, i think its a bit excessive... True that both have pro and cons in every situation. I mean, as for me, i just want to play my games and do some docs and spreadsheet. Me buying BGA i dont think will mean i bought trash... Its quite sufficient for me... While LGA definitely has much going for it too. People just need to chill. Imo.

Anyways. The micro stutter on these machines. Thats just sad... but then again, did the previous GS60s had these kind of issues? I still dont think its a hardware issue though... Anyone tried contacting MSi?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Welcome to the "Optimus Sucks, Avoid it at all costs!!" club :D

aban714 likes this.
  5. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Friends do not let friends buy laptops with optimus!"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, "Friends don't let Friends buy Optimus Laptops" is the Motto / Credo of the "Optimus Sucks, Avoid it at all costs!!" Club :D

aban714 likes this.
  7. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did contact MSI multiple times, but aside from the usual steps like drivers and standard procedures, they had no idea. Best option I got was to RMA it. But I'd bet it'd come back the same way.

I have read numerous other people with this issue - it's very annoying frankly. A laptop this powerful should not have these micro stutters.

It's so confusing because windows 10 can have these issues dating back a long time, so you never really know if it's windows, NVidia, or the MSI setup that's causing it. I guess the on hope is some kind of driver update that fixes this.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Have you guys tried this fix ? It has to do with the harddrive power mode being to agressive . This happened on my GS60 Ghost Pro and it was the only fix for non stop stuttering.

Ill be shocked if this is still an issue but its been going on for a couple generations of MSI laptops...

Here is the link you just have to download crystal disk info and change a setting.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?...fjif32qps2&topic=250280.msg1439027#msg1439027

Also have you guys disabled drive indexing? Right click on c: disable indexing and click ignore all when it pops up. Also disable windows search in services and super fetch.

Those things can cause some drive thrashing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    hmscott and Prototime like this.
  9. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update on FPS and temps - I just played about 4.5 hours of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (big mistake on a Monday night, so gonna regret it when I wake up :eek:o_O:confused:). The good news, I got Fraps to play nice with HWinfo64 this time around. So here is some data for you all.

First, some caveats:
    • The ambient temperature is ~25.5 C
    • IC Diamond Thermal Compound has been applied to the CPU + GPU
    • The laptop is elevated on a metal mesh laptop stand
    • The GPU core has been overclocked +100 MHz, and the GPU memory has been overclocked +200 MHz. (This mirrors MSI Sport mode)
    • The CPU core and CPU cache have both been undervolted by -170.9 mV
    • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is very GPU and CPU intensive. I play at 1080p with all the settings set to max, except that Depth of Field is set to "on", and the following settings are turned off: MSAA, Vsync, Stereoscopic 3D, Contact Hardening Shadows, Cloth Physics, and Subsurface Scattering. (I'm not running the beta DX12 support either.)
    • There is no set FPS limit.
    So without further ado, here are some key results from my 4.5-hour playthrough of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
    1. FPS
      1. Average: 66.4 FPS
    2. GPU temperature
      • Average: 74.1 C
      • Maximum: 76 C
    3. GPU Core Usage
      • Average: 93.7% (it usually stayed at or near 99%, but there are a few statistical outliers when it dropped down significantly, I imagine during pre-rendered cutscenes and such)
    4. GPU Memory Usage
      1. Average: 82.4% (it usually stayed in the mid-to-high 80s)
    5. CPU Temperature
      1. Average: 65.5 C
      2. Maximum: 71 C
    6. CPU Usage
      1. Average: 42.9%
      2. Maximum: 87.8%
    I'm kinda amazed by these results. This is the second time I've played it OCed, though the first time to get the FPS logged correctly, and the first time I've played since undervolting the CPU. Last time I played the temps were a few degrees hotter - I imagine the difference here is because the ambient temperature is a couple degrees lower than the last time I played and because of the CPU undervolt. Regardless, I'm pretty happy it's cooling and performing so well :D

So far I've gotten the Core and Cache down -170.9 mV each. I still plan to play around with it some more. :)

Thanks, will do!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    steberg and hmscott like this.
  10. cdropbox

cdropbox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I'm just about to buy one with a 1x16gb RAM configuration - cant afford 32gb RAM right now.

I'm curious to know if I open it up, will I be voiding the warranty?

Also, is there a list of approved ram sticks that the laptop will take?

It looks like it needs a DDR4L 2133MHz SO-DIMM but which one exactly?

Lastly, is the process to install RAM hard? Is opening up the laptop difficult?

Has anyone seen a tear down guide for this laptop? I'll be a bit concerned if the ram is in some obscure location (under heatpipes). Sadly, the manual on the site doesnt give instruction on ram installation.

Thanks