MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "good to go" but the shift profiles are indeed useful and intended to help reduce heat and fan noise, so I think you're fine using them :)

2. Yeah, you should get the latest GPU drivers from nvidia's website. Manufacturers like MSI tend to be too slow in putting drivers up on their own websites.

3. I haven't uninstalled Nahimic, but I've heard from others that there's no need to have it. But I do see on MSI's website that Nahimic is bundled with the audio driver. I imagine you should be able to uninstall Nahimic without it removing the audio driver, but you can always experiment and redownload it if needed :vbsmile:

4. I'm pretty sure that all Steelseries Engine does is influence the backlight. On other MSI notebooks it can be used to change the color of the backlight but that's not an option here of course.

Hybrid power technology is old tech, not Optimus. I really suggest you contact MSI support about this issue, and possibly RMA your notebook. I have the latest nvidia driver and Windows 10 updates, and I don't experience anything like what you're experiencing.

Thanks! I undervolted the CPU core and cache by 160.2 mV last night and ran Prime95 for two hours, no instability so far and my CPU temps while running Prime95 dropped 10 C after undervolting :vbthumbsup: I may try to push the undervolt even further today. Thanks for the info on the iGPU! Did you use Furmark to test its stability after undervolting like the person in the guide did? And how long have you run stress tests after undervolting?

As for HDMI, I actually did experience an issue once where the sound was coming out of the laptop's speakers instead of the external display's speakers. I unplugged and replugged the HDMI cable, and that fixed it. That only happened once though, and it's never been the case for me that the sound didn't come out of either the laptop's speakers or the external display's speakers. Also though, I thought you had already grabbed the latest driver from nvidia's website, 372.70 - did you roll back to the default Windows 10 driver?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    mrtheshaggy likes this.
  2. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Congrats on the undervolting. Yes, I did use Furmark for the stability test on the CPU + iGPU/dGPU. I also used AIDA64's system stability test to stress test the FPU, Cache and GPUs. I'm happy with my result.

I resolved my audio issue. Looks like my monitor doesn't get enough power from the wall so the speakers started to act weird (got a bunch of stuff plugged into the wall). I switched it to another wall jack and it started working again. Nothing to do with the Nvidia driver at all so I upgraded it back to 327.70 (downgraded previously for troubleshooting).

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  3. Prototime

Reputations:
    Update on temps - I posted this summary earlier in the Pascal thread, and I thought I'd post it here too (with some slight edits), in case it's helpful for anyone. Overall, my GS43VR is really handling temps well. See below.

---
    My MSI GS43VR has had IC Diamond Thermal Compound applied to the CPU + GPU, and I game on it while having it placed on a metal mesh laptop stand. I overclocked the GPU core clock by +100 MHz and the GPU memory clock by +200 MHz (which matches what Sport mode auto-overclocks the GPU to when the laptop is connected to an external display after rebooting). I've been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which is highly GPU-intensive and a CPU hog (it's a crushing, poorly optimized AAA game), at 1080p with all the settings set to max, except that Depth of Field is set to "on", and the following settings are turned off: MSAA, Vsync, Stereoscopic 3D, Contact Hardening Shadows, Cloth Physics, and Subsurface Scattering. There is no set FPS limit.

My GPU usage is consistently near 99%, while the CPU usage is more variable, between 45% and 65%. I keep the fans set to auto. After my last two-hour gaming session, HWinfo64 recorded an average GPU temp of 79.6 C, and a max temp of 83 C. (FPS is usually in the 50s.)

I should add that gaming while the laptop is on elevated on a metal mesh laptop stand seems to help quite a bit. One time I ran Unigine Valley while the laptop was on a flat wood table, and the temps dropped 5 C after I lifted it up into the air.
    ---

Cool, glad you got that fixed! :vbsmile: I'm going to be undervolting the iGPU soon, probably starting at -130 mV based on your mileage. How long did you run Furmark for on the iGPU to test stability?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    hmscott and Paull like this.
  4. Prototime

Reputations:
    Also, MSI itself just released a new video review of the GS43VR:

Nothing mind-blowing, though MSI outdid themselves on the sloppy weight measurements and said that this laptop weighs 3.6 pounds :rolleyes: Right, it's probably a good idea to at least be consistent with your inaccurate info...

Also I don't know what country's model they're reviewing, but the US model definitely comes with a SATA SSD, not a PCIe SSD as is claimed here.

5. Akshay Budhiraja

Akshay Budhiraja Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, PMF!

I was thinking, I might as well install an SSD in the SATA slot instead of a HDD? Something like this Crucial MX300 drive. Might as well keep it clean and SSD-only. My guess is that this will also drain less power so beneficial for battery life. Any thoughts on this?

I'm fairly disappointed to read about the reviews for the Dell dock. Looks like there aren't any good TB3 docks out yet. Do you know if this laptop can support being charged over TB3? Either using the USB IF power delivery specification over USB-C or TB3? For example, this Plugable USB-C (not TB3) dock apparently supports charging the host computer through the USB PD specification. Do you guys think this laptop supports that?

Thanks!

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  7. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I have not been able to solve my freeze/ lag issue, and I tried many combinations of drivers and clean installs. It may possibly be my hardware. Interesting enough, I did go by a best buy to test a GS63 and it exhibited the same issues I am having.

Where it always happens: If I click on the battery icon on the lower right or into windows settings, apps page, etc. Geforce experience always freezes on startup too and when switching windows.

If the best buy GS63 did the same thing, I had though it may be a driver issue.

But if some of you with the GS43 aren't having this issue, then now I am not sure.

8. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have the gs63 and gs73 right in front of me and both behave just as you described. I really doubt it's hardware. It seems to only be during gpu switching. If you turn on something like fraps which leaves the gpu on, there is no stutter.

rondocap likes this.
  9. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for that information, at least now I know that exchanging the laptop most likely won't solve my problems because many of them seem to have it. There's even a review on Amazon that mentions these micro stutters.

It wouldn't bother me as much, but once in a while the freezing and lag to get considerably worse where the system becomes unstable. Could also be a result of different drivers I have tried.

Do you feel that this is an Nvidia driver issue or Windows 10 issue that may have an update which will fix it? Or is it how MSI builds the systems and it's an inherent problem that will never be fixed?

10. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you notice that your power button's LED toggles between red (iGPU) and amber (dGPU) when the stutter happens? If so, then it is most likely related to Optimus. Try plugging your laptop into an external monitor via DP or HDMI and turn off the internal screen to see if this behavior goes away (iGPU will stay inactive in this case). If so, then you know it's Optimus's fault and you can try to move your apps to use only one GPU in Nvidia's control panel. Reducing the number of apps you have installed could help ease this issue too.

For me this behavior doesn't happen when I'm using my external monitor only. It happens from time to time when I use the internal screen and it toggles between iGPU and dGPU.