MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rondocap

rondocap Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem came back, it seemed to only not freeze while the nVidia drivers were not yet installed. After those came on, problem returned. I guess it's because now the 2 GPU's could switch.

I am really not sure how to solve this, since you can't just disable the nVidia drivers, and disabling just the intel ones did not seem to help for some reason.

Might it be possible i have a hardware issue with the 1060? Games play fine, it's only this buggy freezing so Im not sure.

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you do a clean install of Nvidia driver 372.70 for notebooks? I just did and my latency readings cut in half. It's still early but that's the first time I've been below 1000us.

3. rondocap

Reputations:
    Yes, I tried that too - still did not work.

Question: I've done a "clean" windows install, and it now looks like I can't do the option while pressing F3 to restore to the MSI factory image, only the clean windows 10 option.

Is that MSI factory image now lost - or is there a way to still access it? Since the clean win 10 install did not fix my issue, I might as well go back to the factory image which already has some of the MSI stuff installed.

4. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me. Usually doing a clean install, the recovery doesn't seem to work EVEN when the recovery partition is untouched.
    Hopefully you've back up a copy before did a fresh one.
    Or ask one of these kind folks to upload a copy if they've done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Akshay Budhiraja

Akshay Budhiraja Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all!

I am a new owner of the MSI GS43VR, and pretty happy so far :)

The laptop is lighter and built better than I expected from MSI. It also runs the games I play (F1 2016, ARMA 3) very well. My only concern so far is that the audio from the internal speakers comes out rather distorted on the higher frequencies. Has anyone else had this experience?

I had a few questions about this laptop:

1. My build only came with a 256GB SSD and no HDD. 256GB is quite small, so I would like to use the HDD slot. I've never replaced a HD in a laptop before, so my question is that will any SATA 2.5" HDD work? Are there any things to look out for? For example, will this HDD work?

2. I would like to use this laptop at work, so are there any recommended Thunderbolt 3 docks that I can use with this? I would like to have a dock which is always connected to external monitors, mouse, keyboard, etc. Can the laptop get power through the TB3 connector (like some laptops can)? How do I figure out if a dock is compatible? For example, would this Dell dock work?

Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to being involved in this community :)

EDIT: Added link to Dell thunderbolt 3 dock that I'm interested in.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    hmscott and Prototime like this.
  6. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That drive should work, but I doubt you'll find a guarantee unless you try it. In my experience, only some manufacturers had limits on what HDDs they would recognize, and that usually pissed all the customers off, so I don't think many/any do that anymore. Notebookcheck's model had a 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD 2.5-inch HDD, but I'm guessing that's too big and expensive vs. what you want.

For the dock, take a look at those Amazon reviews and stay away from it :)

Akshay Budhiraja and hmscott like this.
  7. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update on battery life - With Battery Saver on, the power plan set to Balanced, the screen set to 50% brightness, and the keyboard backlight set to "low", I got almost exactly 4.5 hours of battery life while web browsing with a few tabs open, downloading a few small files, and watching one 8-minute YouTube video. Pretty good.

Next up: CPU undervolting. Thanks for sharing your earlier results on undervolting, @whirledpeas, and for sharing your knowledge of 6700HQ undervolting as well @hmscott

@whirledpeas, were you ever able to figure out how to use Throttlestop to undervolt the iGPU further than -1 mv?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    hmscott, PMF and aban714 like this.
  8. mrtheshaggy

mrtheshaggy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Just got the GS43VR and love it. On paper, the size of the GS43 versus the GS63 doesn't seem big. However, seeing both in real life, I thought the size advantage of the GS43 was huge. The IPS display is VERY crisp. The build quality is awesome ... super sturdy. I don't think I can own a plastic laptop again. Haven't used it enough to comment on battery life. My only two complaints so far are the speakers seem to struggle and I don't like the mousepad being merged with the mouse buttons (The only company I think that has successfully pulled this off is Apple).

This is my first gaming laptop, and I was hoping some experienced MSI users could help with a few questions...

1. I initially noticed the fan got really loud when I first entered Windows. I used the "shift" shortcut to turn on ECO mode and it quieted down. Are the shift profiles good to go, or are there power optimizations I should consider?

2. Are there any advantages to Nvidia drivers from the MSI site versus the nvidia site? I saw the MSI site has significantly older drivers versus Nvidia's site.

3. Can I safely uninstall the Nahimic 2? Or is it somehow linked to the audio driver and needed?

4. Is the Steelseries Engine used for anything other than keyboard illumination?

Thanks!

hmscott likes this.
  9. rondocap

Reputations:
    does this make sense to anyone, it's where I'm at now with research:

1. Pascal had a latency/dpc issue that was issued a hotfix of 398.95 for desktop versions, but not notebook ones.
    2. Newest driver on msi site for gs43 is older than 398.95.
    3. Newest driver on nvidia site is 372.70, but doesn't solve this Optimus issue because of either:
    A. Fix for notebook 1060 latency has not been added yet,

Or

B. If it has been addressed, will only work when msi updates to newer driver on their site because nvidia site says it does not support hybrid power technology, which I believe is what msi uses for Optimus. I may be wrong about this and hybrid power is old tech.

So that would lead me to believe we need a newer driver from msi, after they optimize nvidia drivers.

Does any of this make sense or am I making an incorrect connection?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    hmscott, Derek712 and Prototime like this.
  10. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Prototime, this is a good 6700HQ undervolting guide I found and followed. Check out the screenshots he posted. It's pretty straightforward. If you want Throttlestop to start with Windows, you will need to add it to the task scheduler. I am running my Core+Cache undervolt at -162.5mv without any iGPU undervolt. iGPU undervolt may not be worth it since it has minimal return although I can do -135.7mv on my iGPU without any crashes.

Throttlestop Undervolting Guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/49uma8/guide_y70015isk_i76700hq_throttlestop_undervolt
    Task Scheduler Instruction: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-454#post-10247294

I do have a question for you or anyone who has tried though. Do you get any audio from your external monitor via HDMI or Mini Displayport? I notice that the Nvidia High Definition Audio is set as the default playback device under Sound settings when I connect my external monitor to the laptop via Mini Displayport or HDMI but there's no audio coming out from my monitor's built-in speakers. I can switch the default playback device to Realtek High Definition Audio and audio will come out from my laptop speaker immediately.

I'm on the 369.09 default driver from Windows 10. I'm going to try the 368.79 driver from MSI's website and see if I can make it work. Let me know. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016