MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replay @Prototime! Yeah I have switched out screens before but I think the main question is has someone done this already and if so, where to find a screen? Does anyone know of a good web site that would sell a 120mhz/144mhz 14' equivalent for this? I tried to look (albeit quick look) with no success so far

2. Netroxen

Netroxen Newbie

Reputations:
    First question is how many pins the GS43 uses for the display connector, is it a 30-pin or 40-pin eDP cable..? I may be wrong, but on my 7RE it's a 30-pin connector.

So I did a little digging around and I'm from Europe, though I did find these results: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100251031&srchInDesc=120Hz&ActiveSearchResult=True&hisInDesc=14"
    Specifically the HP EliteBook 840 uses a 14" 120Hz panel with a 40-pin eDP connector. I wonder if something like this could be retro-fitted..?

Here is an eBay ad for the panel as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/120HZ-IPS-...246175&hash=item4b4d66fdf4:g:SB4AAOSwxKNbh8PZ
    It's important to have the Sure View models as they have a privacy feature which when disabled, uses the full 120Hz of the display.

It seems like there's a plethora of > 15,6" 120Hz/144Hz panels but none for 14" laptops, I guess the demand just isn't there to manufacture them...
    Final option is to find a Chinesium display that overclocks well, it's possible 100Hz or so could be relatively easily achieved.

All I have so far :(

Edit 1: So it seems it's possible to buy converter / adapter cables for 40-pin -> 30-pin LCD connections, though I don't know if this is a viable option.

Edit 2: So did some more digging around and I came across this image: https://picclick.com/GENUINE-MSI-GS43VR-7RE-Phantom-Pro-14-LCD-183856224894.html
    Do you notice anything strange here..? Well, the two ends have different amounts of pins. The 40-pin eDP is a 4-lane connection, and the FHD 30-pin eDP is only 2-lanes. So I could be wrong, but it seems they could be using a type of adapter cable that only uses the 2-lanes required for a FHD display.

What does that mean? Well, it may be possible to buy a 40-pin to 40-pin eDP cable and then upgrade to either QHD display or 120Hz one... See where this is going?

I also found this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/aw15r1-upgrading-fhd-to-uhd-edp-30-pin-vs-40-pin.784791/
    Here the Alienware laptop uses a 40-pin eDP on the motherboard and a 30-pin cable to the display... Could this laptop support higher res displays..?

Can someone verify the pin count on the display and motherboard connection..?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC and Prototime like this.
  3. unit719

unit719 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I must advise caution on messing with that screen connector! Ours was slightly loose on arrival and it took nearly a dang year to figure out what was wrong with the screen!
    Related: Anyone know where I might find advanced repair document for this machine? Is the battery easily replaced?

4. Netroxen

Netroxen Newbie

Reputations:
    Battery is easily replaced, just remove the bottom cover, unplug it from the main board and then gently, but firmly, pry the battery up (it's stuck to the tray).

I just checked today and my battery is puffy on one side, seems to be a common issue...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The battery is very easy to replace. I just bought a new battery about two months ago to replace my bloated battery. I bought it from this seller and got a legit battery for US $66: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZQFVB9/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. Sainho

Sainho Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I've had this laptop for a bit more tan two years and lately I've been having issues (rattling and so on) with the GPU fan until a blade finally broke down when I was trying to check it out. I ordered a replacement from eBay (quite expensive for a fan and in principle original) and what arrived seems to be original, but I'm afraid is not. I remember the original one spinning at max rpm close to 7000, as the CPU, is that right or I am inventing it? The "new" one tops up at 6000rpm.

Besides, It's been two years since I repasted both CPU and GPU with Gelic GC Extreme. I'm thinking about repasting again and I'm wondering if someone has used Grizzly Kryonaut, or if you would recommend something different.

Thanks for reading!

7. hussa

hussa Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear owners, I've had a very happy life with my little beast, the gs43vr 6re, until a moth ago when I had a BSOD after a clean reinstall of windows. I tried everything to identify the source and it seems that as long as I have the gpu disabled from the windows hardware section, the laptop runs fine. When I enable it, 99% of the time I get a BSOD. From my local service they gave me an uninterested diagnosis "exchange of motherboard" :|.

To make matters worse I downloaded a bad vBIOS from techpowerup and now windows cant identify my GPU anymore. Can someone please give me a vBios from you gs43vr 6re model because it is not available anywhere and msi is not providing me with it.

Thank all

8. Sainho

Sainho Newbie

Reputations:
    I could try and send you vBIOS for GS43VR 7RE. Don't know if that will work for you though.

9. hussa

hussa Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Sainho. I would try, it cant do more damage :). Please send if you can.

10. Sainho

Sainho Newbie

Reputations:
    Here it is, hope it helps: [Link no longer working]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019