MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, no problem, it's fun to provide advice for new builds and things like that. Start a new thread maybe in the desktop forum to get advice on your build, and drop a quick post in the desktop overclocker thread that you're after some advice too and provide a link there to your new thread - there's some real hardware enthusiasts that look at that thread, so they'd probably provide a reply or two to your new thread. Here's the link to the overclockers thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ers-welcome-too.810490/page-643#post-10946519.

Prototime likes this.
  2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. unit719

unit719 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MSI GS43VR reseller nightmare:
    Hey everyone, been a fan of customized high-end tiny laptops for awhile now. have built my own desktops for a few years now (big MSI fanboy) and I ordered this little monster with some key upgrades from a well-known reseller / customizing service. Long story short, day one problems with the laptop have been
    • A 'glitchy' screen which I figured could be software/ driver issues, turns out the cable connecting to the screen either has no clips to secure it, or are broken (reseller logo was applied to bezel directly above connection)
    • Battery would not charge past 70%, has 'puffed'
    • Numerous light bleeds from screen surrounds
    • Too-tall heatsinks intalled on cpu and gpu heat pipes, causing bottom cover flex/ warping
    • MSI dragon logo fell off the lid (light modification behind logo performed without asking)
    I recently received a bill after a RMA (to MSI, despite website claims of covering parts and labor) for $500 in addition to the $1700 paid for the initial order. During this process I have collected statements from PC repair and customization shops across the country, outlining that many of these issues were caused by poor installation of upgrades, and poor quality control. I have carefully documented every issue, sent pictures and video to the reseller of the malfunctions and defects, as the issue has matured they have been harder and harder to reach (I am on hold with their 'tech support' line while I type this, and have been for over 20 minutes now, in addition to being placed on hold with their customer service line for 12 minutes prior).

I would love for this to turn into a 'feel good' story for the company, but it seems it simply wont happen that way.
    Has anyone here sued a reseller? Did you utilize consumer law, or small claims?
    Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  4. Prototime

Reputations:

Reports of my GS43VR's death have been greatly exaggerated... my GS43VR is alive! After hunting around for information to prepare for building a gaming desktop, I came across an article on why computers don't POST - one reason of which could be defective RAM. Well, wouldn't you know it - if I leave out just one of my two 8GB sticks of RAM, the GS43VR is suddenly back to normal. Both sticks out, the notebook display never powers on; both sticks in, same issue. And if I put one of the two sticks in and leave the other out... it works. One of the sticks is clearly defective, as the computer is working fine now that it's out and the other stick is in. Fortunately, that other stick is working fine - and now, so in my laptop :vbbiggrin:

I got so excited to build a desktop, I might still just do it. But regardless, I am so glad to have my little juggernaught back in action. Just need to order another 8GB RAM stick, and I plan to be back to gaming on it. :vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. unit719

Reputations:
    Congrats! I still high recommend building a desktop for fun LoL, so many color and light options!

Prototime and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Me too, since desktop has lesser limitation compared to notebook. :)

7. unit719

Reputations:
    I adore little power houses like the GS43VR (granted, mine has been an absolute nightmare, but I don't fault MSI for that) but the ease of desktops is the bees knees! I've got a MSI themed build, all red fans (air cooled) paired with a MSI 1070ti, and MSI CPU cooler looks like optimus prime's face LoL
    MSI Z370M Pro Gaming AC
    Intel i7 8700k
    MSI Core Frozr L CPU cooler
    MSI GTX 1070ti Titanium Edition
    XPG by ADATA 32GB DDR RAM (16GBx2)
    SanDisk 256GB SSD (OS)
    SanDisk 1TB SSD (Data)

8. Netroxen

Netroxen Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd be interested to know if it's possible to upgrade the display in the GS43VR, like can it be upgraded to a 120Hz panel?

captaincranium likes this.
  9. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i would like to know that too...is there anyway to upgrade these screens to not only higher refresh rate but also possible Gsync?

10. Prototime

Reputations:
    I don't know what technical limitations there might be on a screen upgrade. I do know that it's relatively easy to physically remove the screen from the GS43VR to try, though. You'll have to pry up the plastic bezel and severe the glue that sticks the screen to the bezel (it will restick when reassembling, at least when putting back in the same screen--not sure about putting in a new screen, but I'd imagine there's enough glue on the bezel itself to stick it to the new screen). There are a couple of screws on the bottom you'll have to take out too (and good luck getting them back in, but they don't really need to be there). Once that's done, it's just a matter of unhooking the eDP cable, and the screen comes free.

unit719 and captaincranium like this.