MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for this info! Unfortunately I bought the unit back in August 2016, so it's been a while.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I see, so it's best to check with MSI directly to see if you can purchase a replacement battery, and if yes then buy it from MSI so you can replace it yourself. Or you can look for it on eBay.

Prototime likes this.
  3. Prototime

Reputations:
    To update, I called MSI and they unsurprisingly wouldn't sell me a battery; they said I would need to ship them the laptop and pay for shipping both ways, the battery, and labor (all of that would presumably be covered if the laptop were in warranty). I instead poked around the internet for a battery, and found a listing on Amazon with reviews indicating that it was legit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZQFVB9/

I ordered it from here for $66 US, and I can confirm that it's legit. Installing it was easy and it works great. I obviously would have preferred that the original battery stayed in working order, but the price wasn't too bad and now I have the advantages of a new battery, so I can't complain too much. Hopefully this will hold me over a few more years!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well done. At least you've checked and then was able to find it.

Prototime likes this.
  5. Prototime

Reputations:
    My (almost exactly) 3-year-old MSI GS43VR with a GTX 1060 6GB GPU and a i7-6700HQ CPU with optimus is... I hope not done for? I haven't used it in a few days because I've been giving my new daily driver, the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15", a spin. My plan has been to keep the GS43VR for gaming. But then this happens.

Last night, I turned my GS43VR on and everything seemed to work fine at first--but I don't think it made it past the MSI logo before the screen went totally dark, and it's stayed that way ever since. I tried plugging it into my external display, and I do hear the usual brief "ding" from the display that recognizes that something has just been plugged into it, but nothing shows up on it. I've restarted my notebook multiple times by holding down the power button to shut down. But every time it starts, I get no image at all, whether on the internal screen or an external display.

To be clear, the laptop itself still turns on--the backlit keyboard comes on, and the MSI power button with its indicator light turns on (the indicator changes color depending on whether the iGPU or dGPU is working). I know from the indicator light that for the first split 0.1 seconds after turning it on, the laptop's iGPU is running, but then it immediately switches over to the dGPU. If I leave the laptop on long enough, the dGPU fans will eventually kick on too (the CPU fans stay off).

So what's the diagnosis? Is my dGPU fried :confused:? If so, is there a way I can brute force the iGPU to keep working throughout the boot process so I can at least still get some use out of this laptop? Is there anything else that might be wrong and that could be solved?

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't know, but the first thing I thought of I wonder if the display cable has become disconnected or not making good contact.

7. Prototime

Reputations:
    Thanks. I took everything apart, and the eDP cable is tightly attached on both ends. Still no luck.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  8. Prototime

Reputations:
    Well guys... after searching all around the web for advice and tinkering as much as I can with the laptop, I think I can safely conclude that my GS43VR is dead. The culprit appears to be a broken nvidia graphics card. And because it's sautered to the motherboard, there's no way to fix it. I may continue to see if there's a way I can get the laptop to boot using the iGPU only so that I can at least get some use out of the computer. But that's not guaranteed to work out, and either way, its days as a gaming laptop are over.

I really enjoyed my (almost exactly) three years of gaming on my GS43VR. Sure, it may have been a 14" "light" notebook with a "mere" 1060 6GB GPU, but it was my first gaming computer and I got so much enjoyment out of it. And I liked using it for productivity too; it was my daily driver up until, coincidentally, just a few days ago (even though it was more than I ever needed, and it definitely spoiled me). I'm glad it held out for me just long enough for me receive my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" last week on August 22. Though I wish I hadn't also just bought a new battery for my GS43VR a few weeks ago... ah well.

Of course, my new Notebook 9 Pro isn't nearly as powerful of a gaming laptop with its Radeon 540, and I didn't buy it for gaming. It's certainly capable of some gaming and it's better than an iGPU-only device, but it's not anywhere near the performance of the GS43VR. For gaming purposes, I was really hoping my GS43VR would last me until nvidia's Ampere GPUs came out. And I don't think I can settle for a Radeon 540 until that happens.

So screw it, I think I'm going to build a gaming desktop. Cheaper, better performance, and if a GPU dies I can just replace it. I barely gamed "on the go" with my GS43VR anyway. I'll salvage what few parts I can from it for the new rig.

As one of (the only?) member of this owners' lounge that's been here since it began, I have to say I really enjoyed the little community we've had here, even if it mostly fizzled out long ago. To those of you who still have your GS43VR, I hope you continue to enjoy your little juggernaut for years to come. And I'm happy for the time I had with mine.

RIP GS43VR | September 1, 2016 - August 30, 2019

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, I went from gaming laptop to gaming desktop - a good decision! Only downside at the moment is that we're currently on the back end of life of the current RTX 2xxx GPUs from NVidia - ie 7nm RTX 3xxx GPUs are likely to be released next year, which will be a lot more capable in both ray tracing and general render performance. The upside of building now (in comparison to a year or two ago) is that RAM price and SSD price has fallen. I'd be a little bit unwilling to spend a lot of money on a GPU given that NVidia should release a new generation within a year, maybe a year and a bit. It might be worth it to buy a great value cheap (maybe 2nd hand) GPU to tide you over until the next generations of GPUs are released. But, by all means buy a fantastic CPU for your needs, because I would imagine you would want that to last for years & years through a couple of GPU upgrades. If you don't do high refresh rate gaming (120Hz/144Hz), then I recommend buying one of the new AMD CPUs that have come out - more cores for the money, less security vulnerabilities, and probably better future proofing due to the extra cores, although I hear the latest motherboards for the new generation of AMD CPUs are expensive (PCIe 4.0) so you might want to weigh that in. If you've not done high refresh rate gaming before, and you like to play online multiplayer first person shooters, then I recommend you choose 144Hz+ and buy an Intel CPU (minimum 9700K, but probably 9900K). 144Hz is just sooo much better than 60fps, it's the main draw for me when it comes to PC gaming. Oh, and on the subject of monitors, invest in a good monitor, it should last you a long time, and you look at it everyday, so don't scrimp on that! (Read around VA/IPS/TN and their positives and negatives before you make a decision!) (Oh, and read/look at videos from Gamers Nexus on different cases - they do great case reviews, and these have MAJOR impact on thermals of CPUs and GPUs).

Prototime likes this.
  10. Prototime

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice! Building a desktop is a completely new venture for me, so I'll be looking for lots of it. I'm sure I'll start frequenting the NBR Desktop Hardware forum quite a bit. I'm already eyeing a Ryzen 5 3600X with a new gen board, and maybe a GTX 1660TI or something similar to tide me over until Ampere GPUs come out next year-ish. I'm bummed about losing my GS43VR, but also excited about what comes next. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Robbo99999 likes this.