MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup. It was super easy.
    Went with a 1TB 960 Evo.
    I used clonezilla and a M.2 enclosure to move everything over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JPSG

JPSG Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice ok will give that a go... I love this laptop but after 2 years continually using disk clean up and moving everything to the HDD to save space I'vre realized i just gotta go bigger as it were..can you clarify the M.@ enclosure part i am assuming that was to clone the existing OS etc..as there is only the one slot in the laptop ? If that is not possible ill resort to a fresh OS install

3. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is similar to what I used. Just made sure you get one that supports NVME
    https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-US...-spons&keywords=m.2+pcie+nvme+enclosure&psc=1

4. JPSG

JPSG Newbie

Reputations:
    JRey likes this.
  5. zhangirhan

zhangirhan Newbie

Reputations:
    What is you ssd temp? I installed it few days ago and my avg temp is 55-60 degrees and i have problems with the system (I cloned win 10, system become hotter both gpu and cpu fans working all the time and discrete gpu always uses 100-300 mhz even when system uses intels graphic.

6. JPSG

JPSG Newbie

Reputations:
    Update tried the cloning with the enclosure and Acronis software and a Samsung evo 500Gb all seemed to go well from a cloning point of view however the laptop wouldn't boot after the replacement swap.. (I may have messed up the cloning ) tried a few more times then just did a fresh install of windows and now all is working with the extra space a real boon not to mention faster boot times with less clutter

by the way No issues with temperature everything seems normal

regards
    John

7. all9everything

all9everything Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    were drive temps an issue on this model?

i never noticed anything out of the ordinary outside of CPU temps getting toasty before doing some changes after the initial month of ownership...

speaking of ownership... 100 posts to use the marketplace? I'd rather my gs43vr go to someone I know will use it correctly on these forums, but at this rate I should have 100 posts by 2034 lol

8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's been a while, but I thought I'd drop a note to say that I'm still pleased with the performance of my GS43VR nearly 3 years later. It can still handle most new games admirably, especially at 1080p. On some new games, it's no longer possible to max out all/most graphics settings (minus ray-tracing and RTSS) on 1080p and consistently achieve 60fps - Metro Exodus comes to mind as a (rather extreme) example - but it's still more than enough for practically all games. (I've played Metro Exodus on High settings on 1080p, and although I didn't get 60fps consistently, it was thoroughly playable and enjoyable.)

Temps are still good. I repasted a while back, replacing the IC Diamond Thermal Compound on the GPU and CPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I haven't really noticed much difference between the pastes.

Despite my earlier hopes, I never did mess around with an eGPU. The latency that comes with Thunderbolt 3 eGPU setups, combined with the lack of commercial eGPUs available and the high cost of the Razer Core, has dissuaded me from going down that path.

And despite the name of the laptop, I've never actually used it with a VR setup. I suspect that I'll jump on that eventually, but only after VR prices come down and the hardware and software options mature more. Whether that happens during the lifespan of my GS43VR remains an open question, but if I do end up getting a VR setup at some point and use it with my GS43VR, I'll try to post some impressions here.

Speaking of the GS43VR's likespan - MSI hasn't released a Turing-equipped successor to the GS43VR yet, despite having released Turing-equipped successors to other GS-series laptops. If MSI ever does release a successor, it'll likely be called the GS45, which follows the nomenclature of its bigger siblings (GS63 > GS65, etc.). For now, the GS43VR remains MSI's king of 14" gaming laptops.

I plan to skip the Turing generation of GPUs and stick with my GS43VR until the next generation. That was always my plan because having bleeding-edge gaming hardware isn't a necessity for me, and because the next GPU generation will likely coincide with the next new "true" console generation (making the leap more worth it). And seeing the poor performance gains of Turing over Pascal, the high cost of Turing-equipped computers, and the utter lack of 14" notebooks with Turing GPUs, I now have even further confidence in my decision.

I also see little reason to upgrade the components of the GS43VR. My plan is to simply increase the storage space; a 1TB SSD is probably a near-future purchase. Another repaste will probably happen eventually too. But 16GB RAM is still plenty, and there's little need to upgrade the wifi card. (Despite the early fears that the heat pipes are too close to the wifi card--fears that are quite reasonable--I haven't had any problems with the card.) My plan is to only replace something if it fails. Fingers crossed that won't happen anytime soon!

If anything big happens with my laptop, I'll be sure to post any future impressions or thoughts here. Otherwise, I'm hoping for another few good years with my GS43VR. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    mat89 and hmscott like this.
  9. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So this didn't take long. I'm going to have to make an addendum to my cheery post from last month. Over the past week or two, I noticed that the bottom cover wouldn't quite snap into place beneath the mouse pad. At first, I chalked this up to a missing screw, thinking that maybe the cover's clips were broken too. But then today, after a long gaming session, the rest of the bottom cover started coming apart all around the screws. I unscrewed and took the bottom cover off. Lo and behold, the battery is badly swollen.

I managed to delicately unscrew and remove the battery pack without puncturing it, and I put it in a shoe box. I'll be taking it down to a hazardous waste center for proper disposal. I'm using the laptop right now without the battery.

I'll be calling MSI soon, and maybe my reseller Prostar, to see what can be done. The laptop warranty ended last November, of course. I really hope MSI won't insist that I mail the laptop to them to be serviced, and I really hope they won't want to charge me an arm and a leg for a new battery. :vbfrown:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    When did you purchase the unit? Because MSI's battery warranty is 1-year so it may be possible if it's close to the expiration date or if it's still within 1-year of your purchase date.

Prototime likes this.