MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MSI is a chinese company.
    They don't care about US laws. Nor do they care about US aircraft blowing up because of their faulty batteries.
    @Papusan @Mr. Fox

Papusan, Mr. Fox and JLANM like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BTW this issue can ONLY happen for one of two reasons:

1) MSI lied to you and didn't replace the battery. I wouldn't hold them past that, because this is the exact same thing that happened when people had the revision 1.0 GTX 1070 MXM crashing cards and wanted 1.2 cards, and MSI simply sent the laptops back with a castrated vbios with boost clocks disabled. (After a LOT of major outcry, they finally started replacing them with 1.2 cards for those who asked in a very stern way).

2) faulty motherboard or battery connector pins possibly causing an incorrect battery voltage reading.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Definitely don't ship air. UPS recommends defective batteries be sent via UPS Ground only (didn't check FedEx). You're not in AK, HI, PR, Guam etc right?

Falkentyne likes this.
  4. JLANM

JLANM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Eric,

I would rather work this issue through Xotic if possible. I am comfortable changing the battery myself if we can work it one can be sent to me. I will properly dispose of the the faulty one.

Falkentyne likes this.
  5. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'll update the rep working with them. Though if it's one of the issues @Falkentyne mentioned and not just the battery, it would need to go in anyway. I'll let them handle it from here though, and you can always DM me.

Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  6. JLANM

JLANM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, no resolution here. After Xotic telling me that MSI agreed to cross-ship a new battery to me, and me agreeing and asking for the price, apparently MSI decided they didn't want to do that, and not cover the battery at all. Makes sense that it is consumable and it is over a year since I purchased the laptop, but the battery didn't just die.

So off to ebay I go to buy a battery, ah well.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wait, did I miss something, some change not posted here?

They owe you the battery, they insist on shipping it, so ask them to send you a "burn bag" for the laptop or the battery, and ship the darned laptop+battery (together or apart) back to them via ground / sea. Make sure to alert the carrier what you are shipping - they likely have hazardous shipping considerations to follow.

You shouldn't need to replace the battery yourself.

Also, I think it a good idea for them to check the charging parts - charger too - to make sure there isn't something else going on as well.

You could buy the battery and end up in the same position after a few months, although it is likely it is only the battery you won't know for sure until it's too late - how much longer is your warranty coverage?

8. JLANM

JLANM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Apparently batteries are consumable and not covered after 1 year. I will likely not purchase another MSI product.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They are actually a Taiwanese company with factories in Taiwan and China.

Battery warranty is 1-year and stated on MSI's warranty page.
    https://us.msi.com/page/warranty
    In accordance with original manufacturer's products serial number/barcode, it is warranted for 12 months repair service from its manufacture or purchase date after registering online.

AC adapter is 6-month. These terms are the same as DELL, and others.
    The unfortunate part is this issue happened outside of battery warranty while the system is still within warranty, so if the system is damaged from the swollen battery then MSI will need to cover everything else (chassis, keyboard, etc) for free except the battery (customer charged).
    You should not send the system in with battery in such condition because it can be a liability so if you really have to send it then it's best to remove the battery and send the system without it. Also, you aren't alone with this kind of issue, see below for Apple customer reviews on swollen battery.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7943668
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2338549

It's the better option to just buy the replacement battery and change it yourself if the system is not damaged at all.

10. JPSG

JPSG Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone replaced the 128GB SDD with a larger capacity ? if so How did it go ?