MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. tobylaptop

tobylaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone install the latest bios with the spectre and meltdown patches? It came out Feb 23.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's fine to update to it but if you encounter any issues then please let us know here.

3. tobylaptop

Reputations:
    Seems okay so far...

Prototime and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  4. all9everything

all9everything Newbie

Reputations:
    I removed the factory paste & applied Kryonaut around fall of 2017... as I too had the issue of CPU temps over 80 (which even on full load didn't sit well with me).

I also use risers in the back for safe measure (just 2 coiled up velcro straps lol)... my temps decreased to low 70's at most while gaming (but pretty consistently staying in the 60's range which is far more ideal).

however keep in mind, I also reverted back to windows 7 pro (instead of 10 home that the laptop shipped with) which helped temps slightly but at the cost of a little less frames during game play (mainly I did the win7 change because of early performance issues myself & others were experiencing). also Early on I did mess with processor power management settings & changed the default max from 100 to 95% & it helped knock a few degrees Celsius off CPU temps as well so that might be something you want to try too

all in all the changes I've made have now allow me to game without hiccups (temps or performance)... I mainly play steam & uplay games & am able to get adequate performance (capping at 60 fps regularly & maintaining healthy temps)

the only knock after a year & a half of gs43vr ownership is that the 14" screen is pretty small & my eyes arent as good with smaller detail as they used to be so in hindsight I probably should've gotten the 15" version (I also use a separate mechanical gaming keyboard cause the integrated one on the laptop is trash, but also cause the laptop used to get so hot that it would become uncomfortable gaming longer stretches with my hand resting on the keyboard)

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nicely done sir. :cool:

6. tobylaptop

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing! Did you apply the Kryonaut to both the CPU and GPU? Is the process kind of scary / did you find it easy to do? I heard it's kind of risky as it could lead to electrical shorts somewhat easily.

7. all9everything

all9everything Newbie

Reputations:
    yes, I applied it to both & its a pretty easy process... remove the bottom cover/panel & its like 4 or 6 small screws that hold the heatsink/pipes on, just slowly wiggle/rotate & pry up & the heatsink will remove as a larger unit (nothing else needs to be unplugged)

I used a microfiber with some remover/compound to clean the old stuff off.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    tobylaptop likes this.
  8. tobylaptop

Reputations:
    Ah sorry - I confused that for their conductonaut...the liquid metal one, which is the risky one. I'm going to apply kryonaut soon and see how it goes. Thanks!

9. all9everything

all9everything Newbie

Reputations:
    No problem... in the past I've used Arctic 5 paste for builds, but was in the market for more & couldn't pass up trying Kryonaut this time around after digging. its some of the priciest thermal paste out there but so far its been rock solid on the MSI... mx4 is also pretty highly touted as well. I think at this point any reputable aftermarket paste is better then the factory stuff that often gets used

10. JRey

JRey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey peeps,
    Does anyone know the exact model number of the SABRE Dac in our notebook? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer. Some say 9016k, others 9018m.

Thanks.
    -JRey