MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured out that I was right-clicking to route the Drive location in the wrong place. It is running in D.

I am now onto the stuttering problem, as it has reared its ugly head once again.

This computer is a Freezy McFreezerson. Its father was Mr. Freeze.

More like "MicroStutterInternational", amirite.

K enough, but the point still stands. Open a program? 2 second freeze. Want to browse the internet? One second freeze. Freeze, freeze, freeze. I've clean installed the OS to remove the crap that MSI forces onto the machine, updated the BIOS and reinstalled all drivers. No change. If the trajectory for this machine is the same as the first, it'll be running the fans like mid-range machines ran Crysis back in 2007, with CPU spikes up to 100% for no reason at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I know there's another thread dedicated to this problem, and I'm over there too. I've had it up to here with this thing.

I will be going through the device manager and manually updating all the drivers for these devices. After that, I'm going to take the "Lower-Tier brand name PCIe drive is to blame" investigative route, wipe the drive altogether and installing the OS on my 860 EVO to see if that helps.

Sigh.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    Looking like its all Pascal Dual GPU laptops that suffer this. Why I spent 1500 dollars on a stuttering machine is beyond me. There's an excellent thread on both Microsoft.com and Intel confirming this.

I will ponder waiting for a promised driver update from these companies (LOL) for a week or two, but I'm probably returning it and getting my money back.

My terrible 350-dollar-in-2013 Toshiba i3 laptop may be slow as all hell, but one thing it doesn't do is stutter all the damn time.

What an incredible waste of money.

3. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Instead of nagging and being a crybaby, read the previous pages because many solutions have been posted over and over again. Some work and some don't, depending on the programs installed.

The stuttering has NOTHING to do with the laptop or its price but rather the Nvidia Optimus technology being imperfect in Windows 10. This problem is present in ALL non G-Sync laptops with Windows 10 installed (no issues in windows 7).

The best solution I've found after using my MSI GE63VR for 7 months is by opening the Nvidia Control Panel and leaving the "Adjust Image Settings with Preview" opened. This will keep the Nvodia GPU always on (in idle mode), it'll work perfectly in all cases and you'll never see those microstutters again, but you'd rather have the stutters when on battery, since this method will literally divide your battery life by 2 or more.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

4. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, let's try and avoid the name-calling. It doesn't really work well with pseudo-intellectualism and condescension.

If I haven't been clear enough, I've tried most to all of the fixes listed on the lounge (TrayPw3r, Intel drivers, replacing the wireless card, etc.) and most of them are only temporary fixes. The stuttering still occasionally occurs with the Nvidia GPU activated. It's a very temperamental solution.

Considering your sig, I'm assuming that you have quite the bent for MSI and its products. Sorry if I offended you and your loyalty to a multi-million dollar corporation. Sheesh. The first PC I received was a lemon, and this is doing no better in the performance department. TrayPw3r drains the battery, and I still have tons of hitching in games. Day-to-day tasks should be rudimentary for such a powerful machine, and MSI has a hand in that. They are fully aware of the performance issues and have no problem with selling us these machines for an insane amount of money. Opening the Nvidia Control Panel tray (essentially the same as TrayPw3r) is not a solution. Period. Apparently, I'm a "crybaby" for expecting a 1700 dollar PC to work as advertised, and perform to the standard of the components inside.

If there's any news on the drivers from Windows, that would be nice. But it looks like I'll be returning this flawed piece of machinery.

Prototime likes this.
  5. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    You're free to switch to Razer, AW or Gigabyte if you don't like what you see. But I can almost guarantee you you'll find the same issues (if not worse) no matter which laptop you go with. It just merely depends on your luck and the gravity of the errors. Those seen in the MSI GS43VR are not even that critical compared to the MOSFET issue seen in the Blade or the PCH overheating in the AW13 for instance.

I've never owned an MSI product before, your argument about ine being too loyal and devoted according to a single sig is way too flawed, I'm not even near offended. I can't speak for the MSI community but my laptop works flawlessly, which I may say it's both luck and just myself doing proper researches and solving issues instead of nagging about a broken company making broken laptops. ;)

P.S: Jokes and calling names aside, TrayPw3r solves 99.99% of the miscrostutters in my laptop and it's also been tested in the MSI Reddit sub by many GS63VR users and it has worked for them as well. I can only assume your laptop has a broken driver causing latency issues. You'll probably need to find that out using Latencymon (Although I doubt it'll show the culprit since the stutters are rarely a memory issue). If nothing works, try rolling your drivers back and use the ones which came with the laptop (those are usually tested and validated by MSI, I use a few of them right now and they've been flawless since September), and test O&O ShutUp10 (I apply all settings but you can start with the recommended ones. Windows 10 is the main cause of the stutters and disabling some services can get rid of the stutters).

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    The fact that research on specific pages of an obscure Notebook forum is required for a 1700 dollar machine to run properly is, within itself, startlingly silly. My only point, and an irrefutable one. End of discussion.

7. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Go on, cry me a river. :D

8. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    That's what I thought.

You, along with many others who inhabit the internet, are a child. What a shock.

Don't bother replying. I haven't turned email notifications off.

9. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Says who? The guy coming to the "obscure notebook forum" pleading for help. :rolleyes:

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: