MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use Throttlestop to undervolt the CPU. YMMV, but a good starting point may be -100mV for CPU, Cache, and iGPU.
    For overclocking the GPU, I actually set mine to a desktop default speeds and cap my framerate at 60FPS. Temps remain in the high 70s under full load for both the CPU and GPU. I see no reason to raise GPU clock speeds higher than desktop defaults.

2. Netroxen

Netroxen Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you cap the fps in the games, do you use the default Nvidia control panel or something else like EVGA Precision. Also something I've noticed which is a little strange, the GPU (when inactive) doesn't read properly in Precision X or Nvidia Inspector - it's like it goes into some strange loop where the temp is displayed for a second and then disappears. I guess this is because of the iGPU and 1060 switching..?

Thanks for the reply :)

3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I suggest using Throttlestop to undervolt, MSI Afterburner to overclock, and Rivatuner (which comes with Afterburner) to cap FPS. I recommend capping at 59fps, as that should lower input lag (compared to a 60fps cap) when Vysnc is on. If you overclock, be sure to uninstall the MSI Dragon Gaming Center, as it auto-overclocks and conflicts with manual overclocks. You can download MSI SilentOption to control fan speeds.

Also uninstall any bloatware--especially Norton, but also Magix, etc.

Here's a guide on undervolting with Throttlestop, in case it helps: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

4. Netroxen

Netroxen Newbie

Reputations:
    So after using the laptop for some days, I've come to realise that without a cooling pad, this thing gets... very hot. You can literally feel the heat radiating out from underneath the keyboard when gaming. Something that makes me uneasy, is that I've used the laptop to game over at a friends place, for sure I can't create my own cooling setup, so I had to just prop the laptop up a little with a book and let it dissipate the heat normally. I keep thinking this thing is going to damage itself, at-least it gets hot enough that it severely throttles. Is this normal for this laptop.

I mean, I suppose there's not much in the way of cooling for such a slim laptop... Just wondering if this is expected..?

5. tom03

tom03 Newbie

Reputations:
    i was really considering buying this laptop. i like the keyboard and the size of it. my problem is the trackpad. i need to have the w10 gestures for multitasking. has anyone confirmed getting this working?

i need to have desktop switching gestures on my laptop.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It comes with Elantech touchpad which should provide multi-touch capability.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Prototime likes this.
  7. tobylaptop

tobylaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Curious if anyone has tried removing the thermal paste and applying liquid metal paste instead? Are the heatsinks in this laptop solely made out of copper? If anyone has done it, what kind of reduction of CPU and GPU temperature did you experience? I'm still loving this laptop, but get concerned seeing the CPU consistently floating above 80'C when doing video editing (even with it propped up on blocks for maximum airflow).

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Many sellers and forum members had done this mod and received several degrees of Celsius in reduction. However, undervolting helps more in reducing temperature and if combined with efficient thermal compound one would get the best cooling result.

all9everything and tobylaptop like this.
  9. XAGMNINETY

XAGMNINETY Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone.

Now on my second MSI Phantom Pro 069, and it has been nothing but a nightmare from the start.

The first model worked beautifully for about 3 hours, and the whole thing went to ****. Microstutters, freezes, crashes, failure to load the OS, the works. You name the problem, it happened. I returned it to MicroCenter a mere 4 days after purchase. It was a disaster, and I recently received my replacement.

Already, the nightmare has begun anew. Before I even booted Windows, I installed a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB to replace the ****-tier 7200 drive that came with the laptop. Nothing fancy, just a simple pull, remount and plug back in, absolutely nothing I haven't done before. I boot the computer for the first time, and lo and behold, would you look at that, the computer doesn't recognize the SSD. Not in explorer, not in the BIOS, nowhere. Just like the previous version.

Is Samsung's new SSD not compatible with this computer? Has MSI not updated the drivers necessary to accommodate it? I wanted to do a clean install with the OS placed onto the EVO, but I can't even get past the first stage.

Super frustrating, and if the issues continue, I'll be turning this one in too and be switching to another laptop. The hassle factor has been through the roof for this thing.

X

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Did you check in the BIOS to see if the SSD can be seen by it? If yes, then you should be able to see it in the disk management as well.