MSI GS30 Revealed

Discussion in 'MSI' started by HSN21, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamJB123

SamJB123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm so divided on this idea. I love the concept - standalone the computer is perfect for day to day portable computer needs (web browsing, note taking etc.), however when you're somewhere you can settle down, out comes the upgrade box. I love the idea to that extent.

What I'm not so sure about is the actual design of the box itself. I'm not keen on having the laptop sit on top of it - unless you're happy having the keyboard awkwardly high off the desk, wouldn't that pretty much necessitate having an external keyboard? If that's the case, it's too much for me. I use my gaming laptop to play on the couch, or at the dining table. I just can't see having an external keyboard in addition to a mouse being a very feasible setup.

If I want to sit at a standard desk at home and play games, I'd just use my desktop. If I'm on the couch, the set-up seemingly needed here is too much. If I'm out and about, I don't want to have to convert my computer into a monolith with more than a mouse attached to play games.

Great idea, but I don't think I'm the target audience.

2. deathnotedej

deathnotedej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How would it look like if you scaled that resolution to 1080p for gaming (so you've a better performance) and kept it for other applications native?

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    You will need a monitor as well the mouse is due course to gaming

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wireless devices work wonders :) I already use my laptop similarly to this setup, but without the external graphics of course. I use a gamepad, wireless mouse and keyboard and I set the computer near my TV and launch my games easily. Then I just move my laptop to my desk and hook up another keyboard/mouse I have there.

I got the keyboards/mouse over the years so it wasn't that big of an investment at the moment. But I get what you are saying.

It is definitely targetted to users like me :D

5. Hellmanjk

Hellmanjk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This looks awesome but having to get a monitor, keyboard... I'll have limited space because I will be on a ship and that docking station was a fine size. Getting a monitor or extra keyboard is not doable. Hopefully they will change the need of external peripherals when they release it.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If space is an issue a more regular desktop replacement may be a better option.

7. Hellmanjk

Hellmanjk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah you are right. A laptop is the only option. The only time I will be available to download anything is at port. Carrying a desktop, a monitor, keyboard mouse, my extra bags to port everytime is too much. This looks great but the new maxwell cards are not going to have any problems with games.

8. Scriptabit

Scriptabit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am intrigued by the idea behind this system, but...

1.) In a LAN party scenario it really doesn't do you any good. You basically have the same limitations of having a desktop rig. Heck, the desktop rig might even be more portable than trying to bring a gaming laptop, docking station with video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...

2.) It really needs to be compared against the option of purchasing a separate ultrabook / desktop pc. It doesn't make sense unless it costs significantly less.
    When comparing this to a split ultrabook / desktop option you should also factor in:​
    a.) Desktop components are cheaper and easier to upgrade.​
    b.) You can reuse / easily swap many desktop components between upgrades (power supplies, chassis, drives, RAM, etc...)​
    c.) It is also nice to be able to have a true standalone system as your secondary. If you have an issue with your primary system you can use the other system in the meantime (ex: to download driver updates, troubleshooting software, delay the need to fix the machine until after you finish that project, etc...)​

The idea makes sense if you don't plan on using it as a mobile gaming platform, and it is cheaper than getting an ultrabook+desktop, but otherwise I'm having trouble seeing the value.

9. M1keILL

M1keILL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    980 on the go. Let's talk MSI

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's for those who work on the go with a light distraction and game at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.