MSI GP63 8RE vs GE63 8RE

Discussion in 'MSI' started by damole, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Prime95 is a torture test, not a "what will this computer do if I game with it a lot" test. 80-85 is normal, if that's what it does under user load it's fine.

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hmm, no, it is not sign of bad cooling engineering necessarily. But I am not sure if it's advertised to even run at any temp which would be dumb in my opinion (considering different ambient temps). Almost any new machine with 6 core intel CPUs runs hot from the get go, and we have users all over the place undervolting+fixing heatsink issues+ repasting just to keep temps in the 80s range. These CPUs simply run way too hot and most laptops without any optimization will easily run at 90+ celsius.

I always use as an example my lenovo P51 which can barely cool down an i7 7700HQ, and this same chasis with the P52 you can pack new 6 core 8th gen CPUs. I bet it throttles like crazy.

Just typing this while having a VM open doing nothing, with around 50% utilization on my CPU, I am on 88 celsius. And sounds like I am about to take off and fly. I love this laptop for work, but the cooling is one area of improvement they need to work on.

Bad cooling engineering would be that despite undervolting, repasting etc, you would still have those high temps AND the CPU throttled way below turbo. That would entirely be terrible engineering. Which sadly some laptops do have that.

3. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The clips that break in the back are a non issue in my experience. The laptop case stays tight together even without screws. If anything it makes it much easier to open it. When the plastic clips were there, it was annoying to open.

kimiraikkonen likes this.
  4. sush33king

sush33king Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get it from hidevolution.com with liquid metal cooling... the cooling soln is good... but the thermal paste application is another story all together. I have a GP 63, and i find the cooling soln sufficient to game non stop for a day. I know for a fact if i replaced the thermal paste, my laptop will be running much cooler. - I did undervolt it though.

kimiraikkonen likes this.
  5. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please do not only think from the perspective of syntheticly stressing the Cpu with a specific tool. There are many games which are notably Cpu intensive. Some of them are listed on the link below:

https://techguided.com/most-cpu-intensive-games/

A normal user would want to play them without having to putting hands off from the laptop surface due to overheating and it must not be considered "normal" gaming behavior. 8750H is running badly hot and MSI apparently have stayed there helpless cooling down it. No factory optimization though. Many Youtube reviews and online resources tell that it would easily go beyond 90-95 degrees during gaming with Cpu intensive games which is totally unacceptable, forum posts do proove it though.

You are very true. What I see is 8750H is very hot on any gaming laptop even with light usage, and with gaming it is burning like hell. The question is, why do users still require to find solutions using their own methods such as undervolting, repasting since ages? Isn't it the job of engineers/designers as they are paid to project and preview the consequences of overheating as it is extremely obvious that 8750H can't live long with stock temps, without challenging with it to cool it down? I was about to buy GP63 which is a great budget laptop, sleek design with its decent specs, but as far as it has 8750H with no factory optimization, I totally gave up buying it, as many other brands have this hell with 8750H ranging from HP Omen to Dell variants, Asus models are hot, too. I still can't accept that MSI has made a difference at cooling as much as it is advertised and praised, no.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ryzeki likes this.
  6. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is bad design. I love Acer's design when it comes to easily disassembling hard drive and memory units as they are more frequently replaced parts, each unit have seperate covers with dedicated screws. Older Acer models were allowing direct access to Cpu fan either to clean. Asus is horrible/even nightmare with Rog models, and MSI is just like other normal brands, wanting you to remove whole back cover VERY CAREFULLY even after loosening all the screws and applying extra counter-pressure to make it come off.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They all break, and the lid should be opened from the middle to prolong life expectancy of hinges.
    Acer does have systems that are difficult to work on. This all comes down to how thin/compact the machine is, especially ultrabooks.

8. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem is not really the cooling capacity but rather the fact that these chips come unnecessarily overvolted, generating loads of extra heat... for example, my gt75 reached 91C under prime95 and up to 80C running cpu demanding games (ac: origins). After being undervolted, it ran about 10C cooler even on stock paste.... so I assume the same will happen to other laptops despite the 8750H being power limited in those (gt75 is not tdp limited and does not power throttle under load hence the insane temps as the cpu draws double the watts it would in any other laptop). The ge or gp series are power limited hence the temps are still somewhat under control despite lesser cooling capacity and the overvolt situation... but I agree that over 90C is not good, especially if you plan to render videos on it or sth at some point.
    Anyway, with proper paste and an undervolt the temps will be a non-issue even with prime95. Does not even need to be liquid metal.

ryzeki and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.