MSI GP63 8RE vs GE63 8RE

Discussion in 'MSI' started by damole, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are various models that could be using different screen, list a full model number here that you are really interested in and we can confirm it for you.

2. sush33king

sush33king Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GP63 has a plastic palmrest while GE63 Raider RGB's palmrest is made of metal (Aluminium i think)

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Syns

Syns Newbie

Reputations:
    help guys, my laptop (GP63) wont save configuration such as backlight always on after restart or shutdown and power option always comeback to best performance instead of balanced, i have to chance it everytime I restart the laptop. anyone knows how to fix it?

4. sush33king

Reputations:
    Are you using Dragon Center? Make sure there are no programs running at the background or startup that my be clashing, trying to control the power options.

If you are having problems with Dragon Center, you can try reinstalling it or updating it to the latest version. If you don't like Dragon Center, you can try SteelSeries Keyboard drivers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Syns

Syns Newbie

Reputations:
    yes, I am using dragon center, I heard some reviews say that dragon center can cause problems tho. is it fine to uninstall it? do you know where to download steeseries driver?

6. sush33king

Reputations:
  7. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All steelseries drivers do is controlling the keyboard lights. That should be preinstalled. By removing dragon center you will be missing fan control - there is an app for that but it is not intended for 8th gen laptops and there are some annoyances with it (i.e. the percentage doesn't correspond to actual percentage). It's called silent option.
    Anyway, dragon center will apply high performance if sport mode is selected at boot. Select comfort and balanced should be applied (and also applied at startup). As for the keyboard lights, you should be able to switch off dragon center's ability to control those and just use steelseries engine for it.Most likely if you are experiencing keyboard light difficulties now, its due to steelseries engine and not dragon center anyway. So update that one.
    The problems that are talked about in relation to dragon center on these forums relate to it changing bios options back to default - which is only relevant for people who OC their laptops and obviously you cannot do that with a locked chip, so it doesnt even apply to you.
    Good luck!

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you are not comfortable using the software, you can remove it. So without the software, the fan will still go by its pre-programmed behavior in the EC firmware anyway.

9. wizardbrony

wizardbrony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but has it been confirmed that the GE63's bottom cover is the same as the GP63's?