MSI GP63 8RE vs GE63 8RE

Discussion in 'MSI' started by damole, Jun 9, 2018.

1. damole

damole Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there a difference between the build quality of these two laptops? I see one has more colours, is that the only difference?

2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I believe they're pretty much the same chassis, so build quality shouldn't be noticeably different.

3. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They appear to be exactly the same chassis. Same cooling. Probably the same motherboard (or very slightly different). The only difference I see is that the ge series can have a higher gpu and has per-key rgb keyboard. I think the gp series only has 3 zone backlight. Also the gp series have the option to go with lower budget 60Hz 1080p screen while all ge63 8re will always either have 120Hz 1080p screen or a 4k 60Hz one. The gp63 series also seems to come with 120Hz screen in SOME models. So I'd be careful. Overall the gp is just slightly shaved off in features.

Support.2@XOTIC PC likes this.
  4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you considering either model? With build quality aside, what features would sway you to one or the other?

5. damole

damole Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The GP63, the GE doesn't have anything extra I need. I just wondered whether the bottom panel might be metal not plastic.

All the video reviews I've watched say it's difficult to remove the bottom panel of the GP63 without damaging the case.

I don't understand why access to M.2, HDD and RAM is not part of the design.

I'm also waiting to see reviews of the Gigabyte Sabre 15-W8.

I'm really just looking for an 8750H and GTX1060 in a 15" chassis. A backlit keyboard is desirable but not RGB. A bigger battery is always a win. Under 2.5KG. Easy access for upgrading and repasting. My last two laptops have been Clevos so it's definitely function over form.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. heliada

Reputations:
    My bf damaged the plastic clips holding the gt75 bottom cover in place when removing it, now there is a gap of like 0.5mm over most of the front side. At least it adds some air intake :D Gotta look at it positively. I think all of these are easy to damage if you are not the most careful person in the world. Most of the disassembly videos I have seen were rougher than the bf so all those laptops must have the clips broken off too unless the people were lucky as hell.
    I would not worry about it as even with few broken clips and some imperfect fit as a result there is not much more to go wrong.

7. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you have a plastic prying tool, that could help prevent breaking the clips.

heliada likes this.
  8. heliada

Reputations:
    Too late for my laptop with that ^^ once broken there is no fixing it. The clips are so tiny, it's less than half mm what broke off... it's sad. Only shot is to send it to MSI and pay them for replacing it. Last time I got quoted around 70 euro. Since the gap is not even visible when it sits on the desk, I will not bother most likely. But good tip for next time.

Support.4@XOTIC PC likes this.
  9. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you foresee any additional tinkering in the future, I highly recommend getting the Syntus Precision toolkit. I've been using this for a while. It's only like $23!

10. damole

damole Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Some of the video reviews used the iFixIt toolkit and still had problems.

My current Clevo has three screws to remove and then the panel slides off.

The other laptop I'm considering is the TongFang GK5CN5Z also being discussed on the forums. That laptop has very easy access to the whole machine and I can purchase it with the exact configuration I want.

All the configurations of the GP63 I've seen have a M.2 128 GB SATA SSD and a 1 TB 7200rpm HD. I want a M.2 250 GB NVMe SSD and a 2 TB SSHD so access to the internals are a necessity.

I'm from the UK but live in Thailand and India too so these are the places where I'd purchase it from.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018