MSI GE76 - Does it have G-Sync?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DRevan, Feb 13, 2021.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Trust me, I have bad ocd about tearing and stutter. This 300hz panel feels very smooth even with frames as low as 40fps in games. It feels like gsync is enabled. I have external monitors with gsync and the 300hz internal still feels more fluid than those

2. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just noticed in your signature that your 3080 is at 165w now. Did you shunt mod it or did I miss something? :p

3. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    It's 150w with 165w turbo boost, so I just listed the max tgp I see when benching. I don't ever see 165w in gaming though since any load on the CPU keeps the GPU TGP at 150 to 155w max

JRE84 and Keith like this.
  4. liteon6x

liteon6x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

There is a guy on here @mikolaj612 is his username. His Lenovo 7i has a Gsync capable screen and a mux switch but Gsync was not enabled by Lenovo. What he did was mod his bios to enable gsync and even made a tool that works for all Lenovo 7i models.

So I am guessing a simple bios mod for our MSI ge76 will do the trick.

Also, he said if we ran Linux with the Nvidia drivers install we should get Gsync, even without a modded bios.

On Linux, the Nvidia drivers doesn't sig check the bios for gsync certification, as long as the screen is gsync certified and the gpu is connected directly, ie mux switch.

5. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Using an external gsync monitor and flipping back and forth between screens, I was able to trick the laptop and enabled gsync on the panel. Only issue is it stops working as soon as I disconnect the external display. So the screen definitely works well with it. But like I said, it makes no difference in terms of smoothness as the 300hz 3ms response time eliminates tearing and stutter even with frames below 100. See attached

Most monitors don't support gsync at all but you can force it on in the Nvidia control panel and hope it works with no issues. Not sure why we don't have this option for notebooks when all conditions are met. VA panels don't support gsync, but can still use gsync even though they flicker and sometimes black out from it. All non gsync IPS panels that don't support gsync can use it with no issue based off my testing on many monitors. So it can't be just a licensing thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  6. tijgert

tijgert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is interesting, how do you flip back and forth again? I'm using the UHD panel, I'd like to try and get that to work.

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I wonder if svet on the MSI forum could create a similar BIOS mod.

8. tijgert

tijgert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are MSI bioses locked?