MSI GE76 - Does it have G-Sync?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DRevan, Feb 13, 2021.

1. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The new MSI GE76 with 150W RTX 3080 is packing some really nice features:

1) It has a MUX switch so users can switch between Optimus or Discrete graphics and it also has the feature to disable LCD panel overdrive, so MSI is doing the same as ASUS and they are not forcing users to accept inverse ghosting like Clevo does:
    [​IMG]

2) I do not know about the 240 Hz panel, however for the 300 Hz panel MSI is using the same G-Sync capable AUO B173HAN05.1 as Clevo is using for their X170SM-G.

[​IMG]

So the question is: Since MSI allows Optimus to be disabled+they use a G-Sync certified screen, does this mean that this laptop supports G-Sync with the built in panel? Or did MSI actually cheap out and not implement the G-Sync license in the BIOS and despite having G-Sync capable hardware, the laptop does not support G-Sync with the built in screen due to software limitations?

Can someone with this laptop please confirm which one is it? No use looking up MSI website, they never state which of their laptops is G-Sync capable and which one is not.

2. NicodemusBlasko

NicodemusBlasko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got mine yesterday and no, the 300Hz panel does not appear to support G-Sync. On the upside, with VSync off, I haven't seen any tearing so far on Forza 4, Minecraft, or Cyberpunk.

3. iTzZent

iTzZent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course it has no G-Sync.
    1. it is a GE series device that has never had G-Sync
    2. it is an Optimus device, since G-Sync is not possible either. G-Sync only works if the Nvidia GPU is the only one in the device manager, apart from the certified hardware that is required for G-Sync.

4. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know it's a GE device but do far the GE was not the main flagship gaming laptop of MSI, but now it is.

I know that as of now the lack of Gsync was explained with optimus, however as I said optimus can be disabled with a MUX switch.

I have also written that it is using s Gsync certified screen.

So on the hardware level everything is given for Gsync to work the only question is was MSI and idiot and did they cheap out and did they not enable it in the bios level ?

5. cuneyt1984

cuneyt1984 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you choose discrete gpu with Gpu Switch? The laptop restarts when I select the discrete gpu. However, there is no image on the laptop screen.

6. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It has a MUX Switch. You can put it in Discrete Mode, which should make G-Sync perfectly possible. I have a Clevo with Optimus, it can use G-Sync when in discrete mode. Optimus does not mean no G-Sync.

That said, this laptop does not seem to have G-Sync. I bought it a few days ago, and haven't noticed any tearing, but in NVIDIA Control Panel there is no option to turn on G-Sync, but it might be using Freesync, which would explain the lack of tearing I have noticed.

7. johnmr531

johnmr531 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the ge76 raider have gsync going out to an external monitor?

8. Destinatus

Destinatus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes