Msi GE76 3080 or Asus Strix G733Q

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Matten1987, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Matten1987

Matten1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello which notebook should i buy?

Important is the 3080, but the asus has the faster 5900hx and the msi "only" the i9 10980hk. Also the Display brightness.

andross77 likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The AMD laptop has no Thunderbolt, meaning no eGPU option (which is even more important.ow, given how underpowered the mobile Ampere GPUs are).

3. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    GE76, it has the full power 150w+ 3080M and much better cooling.

The Scar 17 only has a 115w+15w 3080M and a reused cooling system from the scar 15.

4. andross77

andross77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These are my current top two as well and I think I have time to decide since the SCAR won't ship for a couple months.

Look on YouTube for some reviews as one for the MSI Raider just went up yesterday (search Techniqualities) and it has significantly higher fps on games because of it's 150w GPU compared to the SCAR 17 with 115w GPU.

This surprised the reviewer because of the significantly worse CPU.

My problem with the Raider is that it has a 300mhz 1080p screen compared to the SCARs 165mhz 1440p screen. I also think the SCAR will have a much better refresh rate though I'm not 100% certain. I don't care about 300mhz and a 3080 is considered by most to be overkill for 1080p. The SCAR screen seems to be perfect.

Another issue is according to this reviewer the keyboard on the MSI is just a rehash of old MSI keyboards like the one I have on my 4 year old MSI whereas the SCAR is an optomechanical using the latest keyboard advancements and one of the best keyboards you can get on any laptop.

The battery life on the SCAR is also better which may or may not matter to someone selling a desktop replacement.

So yeah. I'm about to blow $3k on a gaming laptop so I'm gonna wait a bit to see if anyone else gets AMD CPUs or anyone else besides MSI and Alienware put in a 150w GPU. I'm not spending $3k on a 1080p screen, old keyboard, and old Intel processor. Even though I could pick up the Raider right now in my Georgia Micro Centers for $2,800.

5. andross77

Reputations:
    Also if you look at the SCAR review from that YouTuber, he was majorly impressed with the thermals of the ASUS. The laptop never really got hot even with gaming. And sure it's partially because it's a 115w GPU but it's also thinner than the MSI.

I've been laptop gaming for 4.5 years now and it would be nice to get a laptop that doesn't burn my thigh and doesn't require a laptop cooling pad. I always game with the laptop on my lap, not on a desk. Seems like the ASUS might do that while sacrificing framerates to the MSI.

6. Matten1987

Reputations:
    At first, sorry for my bad english.

now i have the ge76 and the strix 733. both have 1080p and 300hz . i can say that:

the strix has a brighter and a significantly better display. Better colors an brighter.

the ryzen 5900hx cpu is faster

the trackpad is a dream, its very great and smooth for a windows notebook

the sound from the strix is significantly volominous as the ge76

The battery time is significantly better

but the ge76 has a better barebone quality

and a 5-10% better gpu Performance

7. andross77

Reputations:
    Yeah, personally I would take the ASUS for all the quality of life improvements and advantages and sacrifice 10% GPU. But I'll wait a few months to see if anyone offers what the SCAR does and are a 150w GPU. Then I would pull the trigger immediately.

8. Matten1987

Reputations:
    Yes you can wait, but esch year, i wait for THE perfect Notebook.
    now I think that there is no such thing

9. Matten1987

Reputations:
    And in this year i have a big problem to buy a old CPU (intel10th)

10. Matten1987

Reputations:
    And other notebooks are fu....

Acer.... omg no.
    Lenovo legion only 16“
    Clevo and their thermal problems.