MSI GE75 Raider v/ full 2080

Discussion in 'MSI' started by ubelai, Jan 29, 2019.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You should downclock it and run a conservative fan curve instead. Once you tweak it you will have acceptable noise levels. I know what you mean about noise.

Back when I had my GT80 I was very happy to go full overclocks and play 4K making my 980ms cry, but I almost always used 100% fan speed and that was insanely loud. At first I didn't mind but over time it got very annoying.

Even with my Gt73 I often tweak it to max efficiency by lowering clocks, voltage and fan curve so I can play without a jet taking off. Depends on what I want to do. If I am going to play a not very demanding game at 1080P, I use it. but for 4K 60fps? I will need to endure the jet.

Dannemand likes this.
  2. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The touchpad looks similar to the old GE75 pad but has no drivers beyond the Intel IO drivers listed at the MSI site. Apparently its Windows Precision..

The GE63 pad looks the same but has synaptics drivers. I wonder if i just download the modded precision drivers for synaptics if the GE63 RTX laptop will respond similarly to the GE75?
    Sorry, i guess nobody cares much about the updated GE63 when the 17" is almost the same size.

3. ryzeki

Reputations:
    It's the transition to slim bezels that makes people go for 17 in the size of a 15 inch body.

You can certainly try to see if the drivers would behave the same, I am not very versed with the touchpad, but I noticed a lot of people are wanting windows precision drivers. I am not sure what they do, as I rarely use the touchpad myself.

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was mesmerized by this sentence. :p

5. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I assure you it's all made in the literal sense and should not be interpreted as anything else! :D

Lurker Below and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  6. Scramble74

Scramble74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered mine today. My previous laptop was 4.5kg monster with 1070. This looked lightweight and powerful enough. What bothers me a little about GE75 is that according to store pages 16gb version has one memory stick. This in my understanding hinders gaming performance quite a bit due to memory being one channel only.

I don't see any sense in hindering performance of otherwise powerful 2080 laptop having one 16gb stick instead of two 8gb in dual channel. When I upgrade the memory I want to play it safe and get two matching sticks and get rid of the original anyway.

7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    It will depend on the game. Single Channel memory affects considerable more when using a unified architecture such as integrated graphics that share the memory subsystem. When you have a dedicated GPU, it will depend on how much the game uses the RAM to notice the bottleneck.

I prefer having a single 16GB as I can just open it, check the model and get another dimm for 32GB, or customizing it before buying to 32GB from the get go. When i buy 8x2 modules or 4x2 for 8GB systems I feel limited, like I will waste the dimms later on to upgrade. I have some 4GB x 2 dimms around at work due to this, that will never get used aside from "test" systems, because it is much better to get high capacity per dimm from the get go.

Dannemand likes this.
  8. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    While it used to be important to match ram stick, this is no longer necessary. Since the computer will match the ram itself. For example if you get a 2nd 16gb stick that’s only 2400mhz, the first stick will be slowed down to match it. All that really matters nowadays is that you get the same speed and the same size to get the most out of them.

9. Scramble74

Scramble74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I checked several comparisons of 2x8gb vs 1x16gb and at least every test I saw had a large effect on fps if they ran single channel only even with dedicated GPU. To me the difference was almost comparable to having 2080maxq instead of 2080.

I had stability issues using different manufacturer brand memory (and where I live some brands are more difficult to get) on my bit older laptop with 970m even if they had same speed. I'd have bought 32gb Raider but it wasn't available here as it seems it's sold only in US.

For raider this brand seemed to be available in my area. If I were to upgrade, 2 of these should hopefully work?
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-HX426S15IB2-16/dp/B01N7K4DV4

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. hydro94530

hydro94530 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright I went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N2Z6GK4

Pricier but comes with a 2 TB SSD plus a 1 TB HDD and then also 32 gigs of ram instead of 16. Should be a beast! I’ll report back once I have it!

IKAS V and Arondel like this.