MSI GE75 Raider v/ full 2080

Discussion in 'MSI' started by ubelai, Jan 29, 2019.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you are not in a hurry, I definitely recommend you wait for users to test out their machines so you can get a better idea of the products. There will be no shortage of tests, benches and reviews once these units ship.

2. hydro94530

hydro94530 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! I was thinking about the cooling too given the smaller size but as long they’re basically the same power-wise that’s good for me. I’m currently an owner of those GT83 VR Titans and I just have to get something smaller lol. The GT83 still kicks ass today but I think it’s time for an upgrade and to something smaller lol. Thanks again

3. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Hey don't mention it. I was one, if not the first GT80 titan owner ;) and I know what you mean. I am also looking to "sidegreade" myself into a more portable machine, which is why I am thinking about the GS75. It has nearly the same power as my GT73 but considerable thinner and smaller/portable, plus better screen.

I would go for the GS65 if it wasn't for the lack of numpad which I do use, and because 15 inch screen on these eyes is not as pleasant as before :p hahaha

4. hydro94530

Reputations:
    Oh that makes sense haha. I’m strictly using a monitor or TV and wireless keyboard so that won’t be a bother. Do you think, in your opinion, the 63’s and 73’s with 2080’s will perform better than the GT83 titans? Or at least on par?

5. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Which version do you have, SLI 1070s or SLI 1080?

The 2080 is a small upgrade overall, but is going to give you around 20 and up to 30% more performance at high resolution (1440p and 4K) over a single GTX1080. Games that have SLI support, you will loose some performance, but games that don't support SLI you will have more performance. at 1080p it will be like 10% faster on average.

Nvidia is slowly changing/killing SLI and sadly that's no longer an option, so the best route is going the strongest GPU you can.

6. hydro94530

Reputations:
    Yeah it’s the one with dual desktop 1080’s in SLI. Honestly I’ve never seen a game recognize, let alone use, both 1080’s and the same goes for SLI, it’s always just been the one card recognized. Of the games I've played at least. Neither seem to ever be supported so it does sound like this upgrade (sidegrade ) is going to be worth it! Not to mention knocking off 10 or so pounds of weight lol. Thanks again though, this feedback is immensely helpful and reassuring. I’ve always been nervous to part with titan but I think it’s time!

ryzeki likes this.
  7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Oh, not taking SLI into account its definitley an upgrade, dont worry. Looking forward to read your impressions once you get your new machine ;)

8. hydro94530

Reputations:
    That’s great to hear! I shall definitely report back soon as I can. Thank you again!

ryzeki likes this.
  9. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i just ordered from B&H Photo the GE63 8SG. I guess it's the smallest full RTX 2080 available right now. Having said that, it's only within a half inch basically in depth of the GE75 and a 1/4 inch in width. I suppose they weren't able to slim those bezels and still fit a 2080 in there.
    I would have gone with the 17" for sure except that 1080P just looks that much worse on 17". I've seen that exact type of screen on my old Aorus X9 DT and the 15" is noticably sharper. At least on the Razer Blade 15. ( my only comparision)

I think in the fall/late summer there may be power efficient 1440P high refresh screens available and then i'm going slim bezel 17" from now on.

ryzeki likes this.
  10. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe to you but some people actually find that a bit too much, here’s the thing the reviewer got his with Hidevolution”s extra thermal upgrade solution with more pads and thermal paste so stock GE75’s May run hotter and louder. I hope I’m wrong .