MSI GE63VR / GE73VR Raider Laptops

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by hmscott, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kooltilldend

kooltilldend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes there is, hence why it doesn't have G-Sync (the two don't play nice with each other)

2. Newgoodday

Newgoodday Newbie

Reputations:
    At anyone seeking to buy an msi GE63vr/73vr or any other laptop.

I have seen a lot of people in this forum talking about undervolting and that it decreases your temps significantly, and I just wanna make sure that you guys know that undervolting has its (dis)advantages.

Yes, you are getting lower temps as you reduce the power usage, but keep in mind that in theory you are making your processor slower of worse.

You are better of with a cooling pad (definitly the case with the Ge63/73vr (open underneath) than actually undervolting your laptop.

I use a cooling pad myself and I haven''t gotten any higher temps than 63 degrees under very heavy load.

Cheers :)

3. bbot3k

bbot3k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you link a product page for what you use?

hmscott likes this.
  4. kooltilldend

kooltilldend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Define "very heavy load"

hmscott and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Anyone want to comment on this? @Mr. Fox @hmscott @Rage Set @TBoneSan @bloodhawk @Papusan @ThatOldGuy @Falkentyne

6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yees Sir, I can... See my older post here.
    A short excerpt from my mentioned post... "I have take of my time, google numbers for yoo..."6700hq and power consumtion in benchmarks" The more he shrink on the voltage, the worse became the score."

If Yoo shrink the voltage all too much aka massive undervolt, you will in the end reach stability issues and the performance may suffer (right before freezes). But You have to be on the Voltage edge before you can see the processor start run a notch slower in benchmarks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Newgoodday

Newgoodday Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Newgoodday

Newgoodday Newbie

Reputations:
    That is true indeed, I just want to make sure people know this before they start undervolting. Some people think undervolting is without any disadvantages or offers an easy solution for temp problems, but when they find out their comp crashes because they undervolted to much they sometimes panic :)

Cheers :)

9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    On my F5, I have TS profiles for overclocks of 4.9 and 5.0. For work, I have a profile for 4.6 that is undervolted and I suffer no performance loss whatsoever. Lowering your voltage for stock speeds can help with temps and unless you go too far with your undervolt, you are not making your processor slower/worse.

This is quite the opposite of OC'ing. You want to give your CPU the optimum voltage per the clock you are using, which can be more than Intel's factory voltage.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No performance loss, you are tuning for the optimal voltage to run at that particular multiplier / frequency - the same CPU performance settings.

Undervolting is needed, and so primary to setting up a new laptop due to the CPU overvolt setting in the BIOS for the CPU voltage. It's set high to be stable on all CPU's, but most CPU's don't need that much voltage to function so the extra voltage is burned off as heat.

You undervolt for stable 100% load operation and then for a stable 0% idle operation. Save that value in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and so at each boot it sets the undervolt and the CPU runs cooler. :)