MSI GE63VR / GE73VR Raider Laptops

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by hmscott, Jul 11, 2017.

1. poby

poby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My hinges began to crack the plastic within a few months of purchase but I ignored it as I didn't want the hassle of a warranty return. Over the course of 2 years the cracking extended to the point where the plastic bottom base cover was cracked (including a vent disintegrating and breaking off), the red plastic bit which I think the motherboard attaches to was broken, the plastic screen covers were cracked (front and back) and the right hinge was entirely detached. So the screen was only hanging by one hinge and unable to open unsupported. Over the course of that time I had tried various repairs like epoxy, drilling holes and adding nuts and bolts which temporarily fixed it but I'd run out of fixes.

So I had no choice but to send it away to MSI for repair. Technically it was still under warranty (2 years + 3 months) but I was expecting to pay the full cost as my repair attempts were incredibly obvious and the plastic damage so extensive. But I was very surprised to have it returned to me within 6 days with no cost whatsoever. Courier picked it up on a Tuesday and Courier delivered it back the following Monday (no cost to me). All the broken plastic bits had been replaced. My warranty expired 2 days later.

The hinge mounting is a design fault and destined to fail. I had decided never to buy an MSI again however their amazing warranty service has to some extent changed my mind. Perhaps while not officially acknowledging the design fault, they nonetheless are very willing to accept it exists and thusly more generous about repairing damage which otherwise they could put down to user carelessness.

I have loosened the hinges now as much as possible (while still keeping the screen upright when open) but l suspect the cracking will start again in a year or 2 as the problematic design remains. However if it will last another 2 or 3 years, that will be enough and time for a new laptop anyway.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    FYI. The hinge failure happens to many brands as it's caused by wear and tear. The proper way to open the LCD screen is from the middle so the force can distribute evenly to both hinges. Some older models may have common issue with hinges but happens less on the newer models.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. poby

poby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Before buying the MSI I had always bought DELL and never had a problem with hinges. In fact my 8 year old DELL is still working without issues. The MSI hinges began to fail within 4 months of purchase. I have subsequently researched and discovered this appears to be a common issue with some of the MSI models.

Everything wears out eventually. However, the mounting of the hinges in my MSI is poorly designed as it places too much stress on too little plastic to sustain long term usage. (Not that 4 months constitutes long term).

Anyway, the above whinge notwithstanding, I am impressed with the MSI service department.

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    This issue was with your GE73VR?

5. Donie Ray Samba-an

Donie Ray Samba-an Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all. Its been a year and 7 months since I purchased my GE63VR 7RE. I am still using the original gpu driver from MSI website. Is there anything to gain if I update with the latest driver from Nvidia? MSI support doesn’t update their drivers anymore

6. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does it have 388.16? My findings are that 430.97 is about 6% faster. The latest ones tend to be optimized for 2.xxx RTX cards and are a little slower.

Donie Ray Samba-an likes this.
  7. Donie Ray Samba-an

Reputations:
    Mine came with 388.16. I think its MSI only version since I cant see it in Nvidia website.

8. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    bbot3k likes this.
  10. Donie Ray Samba-an

Reputations:
    Hi guys, is there any useful benefit of having modded/custom bios? I asked Svet from MSI forums and he said the bios can be modded. However, Optimus cant be disabled completely to allow nvidia gpu to directly render to the laptop screen instead of the igpu.

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.