MSI GE63VR / GE73VR Raider Laptops

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by hmscott, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    not sure if that applies to your build, but keep in mind that the upper area above the cpu and the upper area (not the memory) they use thicker thermal pads (1 mm) at least on my laptop i noticed that when was re applying them.

Bubbasqueeze likes this.
  2. Bubbasqueeze

Bubbasqueeze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On mine I found out 1mm are too high around Gpu area, i only left them just where you said and removed them elsewhere and applied mx4 instead (spread) Cuz the GPU didn't make contact at all

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Crazy deal at the Microsoft store for this model going on now, not the latest edition but $650 dollars off MSRP.
    If I didn’t recently buy a laptop in the last couple of months this would be to hard to pass up. Don’t know how long it’s going to last so grab them while you can.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/m...top/93kmch482r9d?activetab=pivot:techspecstab

Tech specs

Screen size 15.6 in Full HD LCD display (1920 x 1080)
    Processor Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz
    Memory 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz
    Hard drive size 512GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
    Operating system Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
    PC type Laptop
    Optical drive None
    Media drive SD (XC/HC) card reader
    Audio Giant speakers 3W x 2, subwoofer 3W x 2
    Video NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
    Ports 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 • 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 • 1 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 • 1 HDMI • 1 headphone/microphone combo jack
    Battery 65WHr 6-cell lithium-ion*
    Camera HD webcam
    Wireless Killer N1550i combo (2x2 ac)
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 5.0
    Dimensions 19.02 x 12.32 x 3.78 in (483.10 x 312.93 x 96.01 mm)
    Weight 9.08 lbs (4.12 kgs)
    Color Black
    Other Model number: GE63 Raider RGB-012 • Steel series RGB-backlit keyboard

4. Pohmell

Pohmell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How are everyone's laptops holding on?

Using ThrottleStop to undervolt & disable turbo boost keep temps in 70's which is awesome.

Hinges seem to hold on great with daily usage thou they are quite stiff.

I did manage to spill some beer on the left side of keyboard. Quickly flipped laptop to that side and didn't turn it off out of panic. Found some soft tissues to remove most of beer, when it was dry enough flipped it back and continued playing. Some days later left side of buttons were quite sticky but couldn't bother to clean individual keys as it is quite a task to remove/place back them. Week later keys are not sticking anymore and wow, amazing keyboard.

Had optimus issues with older windows revisions but version 1809 Build 17763.107 seemes to have solved most of them and is very usable. Disabled bunch of telometry and other unnecessary services including windows update using O&O Shutup10 software. Quite impressive how fast windows is now.

M2 SSD install was tricky task. Peeling warranty sticker in a way that it would not get damaged was cumbersome but doable. Opted for Sata3 based mainly for it's stable read/write performance.

5. bbot3k

bbot3k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my GE73VR 7RF from GenTechPC in 2017-09. Upgraded to 1TB Samsung NVMe SSD, 32GB RAM, re-pasted and undervolted -0.120mV using ThrottleStop running automatically on boot.

I've had only one significant hardware issue which was the hinge. As many MSI owners have pointed out in several other forums, this particular hinge design has no extended support throughout the display edges, so all the force are at the bottom corners of the plastic. The top flange of one hinge broke through the lid and I got it fixed, just had to pay shipping. It's evident to me that the repair process was to bondo the hinge back into place, but it looks fine and it works.

Two of the key caps came off and became loose, so I ordered spare key caps and that was very minor. One of my USB ports on the right side is a little lose, but I usually keep something permanent like wireless mouse receiver in there so doesn't matter.

Nvidia Optimus-related micro stuttering was present for quite a long time, maybe a year or more. I setup a Task to run TrayPwrD3 which kept dedicated GPU (dGPU) on, but idle to prevent the stuttering. At some point all of my micro stuttering issues disappeared after some unknown Windows update, so I don't need that anymore.

I've taken care of my machine and operate it wisely and efficiently, and it could last a few more years easily.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. MrBeer

MrBeer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know the thermal pad size you would use for
    GE63 RAIDER RGB 8SF
    I replace it my CPU thermal paste but I see that the vram doesn't have any thermal pads only some white sticky paste that I left on it.dont know if I can use thermal paste.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can use 0.5mm thermal pads for VRAM.

MrBeer likes this.
  8. maveeeee

maveeeee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just finished repasting my GE63VR, unfortunately I couldn't re-screw this part: (the screw won't turn in since the other part came loose as well)
    Is this concerning? I hope it's only function was/is securing the base?
    Laptop won't move much so if it's only securing the base I'll just leave it like this.

Can anyone please confirm that this is "okay"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bbot3k

bbot3k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL That screw base broke off mine a long time ago. MIne is doing fine, heatsink is still secure. Is that the only almost in the center?

10. Pohmell

Pohmell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Screen hinge broke couple weeks ago on GE73VR 7RF.

I decided to fix it myself as warranty is tedious and pretty certain new cover will break sooner or later as it points more to bad design.

The hinge assembly is very stiff and there is some cheap grease that dries over time causing it to become even more tight. Unfortunately i think most Ge73 7rf laptops screen back covers will eventually broke under the stress. MSI warranty probably just replaces screen back cover which is not a solution. So i ordered parts from Ebay.

I loosened the bolts slightly that adjust hinge stiffness so that i can finally open laptop with one hand and applied some copper grease between the two metal plates moving.

Opening lid is much more fluid now and don't have to worry about it breaking ever again.

It's rather simple process, only need to remove screen front/bottom cover along with the cover under it used 7mm spanner to loose the bolt.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019