MSI GE63VR / GE73VR Raider Laptops

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by hmscott, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Ultimate Power Plan. Not default power plan in Win 10 Pro/Home.

Ashtrix likes this.
  2. Donie Ray Samba-an

Donie Ray Samba-an Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am planning to add additional 8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram to make it 16GB. What ram is suggested? Is Kingston Value RAM ok?

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
  4. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anything is fine. If possible get something with timing specifications close to or the same as what you have. OR buy a matched pair of 2x8gb for 16GB and sell your 8gb stick.

5. Donie Ray Samba-an

Reputations:
    Im afraid I will void my warranty if I modify the original parts

6. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, you are allowed to open the case and clean/upgrade parts and still be in warranty, I specifically asked MSI about this and they have said it is fine as long as you are careful not to break anything.

7. slambanna

slambanna Newbie

Reputations:
    Previous post about my broken left hinge:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-raider-laptops.806824/page-143#post-10715436

This is my follow up on my previous post about the piss poor hinges in MSI gaming laptops.

I called MSI support and was basically told that I couldn't talk to anybody with any power to do anything.

I was beyond hesitant to send my laptop in for repair. The MSI warranty rep was really forthcoming despite his hands being tied. Ultimately he told me that he personally receives 2 to 3 calls a week about broken hinges. That seemed low to me, so I thought maybe I'm just an unlucky outlier.

I asked to be able to contact the techs doing the repair. He told me this was impossible.

I asked if I could get my message sent to the laptop engineers. Impossible. They're in Taiwan and we have no way of contacting them.

I was told that complaints and repairs are logged in the system.

This design has been failing for years with no change. MSI has great cooling design while having an archaic hinge design. IT'S BEYOND ****ING STUPID!

Anyway, regrettably I spent 70-80 CAD for a 2 day shipment of my laptop to the Canadian warranty center.

I was lucky enough to get my laptop back in 10 days total including weekends. The paperwork stated that they had replaced the entire lid and cover. I can confirm this ,because I had removed the red racing decals which were back in place on the lid.

I still cringed every time I opened or closed the lid knowing the plastic would break again sooner or later.

So I gently removed the display bezel and removed the screws from the hinges on the screen side. This allowed me to use and 7mm socket to loosen the hinges. It only took a small turn (less than 1/4).

I don't necessarily recommend this but I decided to add some JB Quick weld under and around the screen side hinge. If you do this: definitely don't use quick weld which sets up in under 6 minutes like I did, regular JB weld or a similar epoxy which should be much easier to deal with. Also make absolutely sure that the epoxy doesn't set up near the exterior slots of the lid in which the bezel needs to be re-installed.

Again I'll say... loosening the hinges may be enough on its own.

Here are some photos of the laptop in it's repaired state and my ugly JB quik weld job.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. nyrl

nyrl Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a gx63vr (same as ge63vr) with pm961 512gb nvme drive. Is there a consensus on what settings allow best performance?
    1) Should BIOS be set to AHCI or Intel RST Premium?
    2) Should I use IRST (driver-only or whole package) for AHCI controller or use default driver?
    3) Should I use Samsung's NVMe drivers or rely on default ones?
    4) What to do with SSD thermal throttling?

Some background. When I bought laptop it came with AHCI settings in BIOS and IRST installed (but not Samsung drivers). I noticed that IRST UI doesn't see NVMe ssd in that mode. So, when I reinstalled system I decided to give Intel RST Premium BIOS setting a try, and as a result IRST UI started to recognize the drive. One day I decided to run some benchmarks to compare SSD throughput with my older laptop with RAID-1 mSATA ssds. While sequential throughput was much higher (3Gb vs 0.9Gb read for Q32T1 seq, crystaldiskmark 6.0 everywhere), random 4k read for Q32T1 was lower at 250Mb vs 290Mb for older raid. Oops.

So I tried to understand what could be a problem. First, you can't install Samsung NVMe drivers with Intel RST Premium BIOS setting - so I did a trick to boot Windows with AHCI BIOS setting and 4k Q32T1 reads went to 300Mb. After a series of reinstalls of Samsung NVMe driver and IRST drivers (without UI) I managed to reach 340Mb for 4k Q32T1 reads. At the same time sequential throughput actually dropped to 2.8Gb from 3Gb originally. Well, I believe random access is more important, but I still wonder why Intel RST Premium mode appears to be slower than AHCI and if I missed something important there.

Another weird behavior was with 4k Q8T8. I don't remember exact numbers, but it mostly stayed around 1Gb (240k IOPS) for all benchmarks. Usually I run all 4 tests and 4k Q8T8 gets executed after seq Q32T1 test, but one day I ran it alone and got 1.5Gb with around 350k IOPS. Oops again. I ran some more tests and it appears that once NVMe controller reaches ~63C it drops throughput, at least for random reads. It actually looks like controller warms up from ~50C with regular load to 63C at stress test in under 10 seconds and then throttles.

9. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

1) ACHI - if you are running a samsung SSD, not raid.
    2) IRST - whole package
    3) Yes - verion 3.0 of Samsung NVMe offers a significant boost in performance.
    4) Never had issues. If you've got everything installed correctly then shouldnt be a problem. You could always put a heatsink on it.

10. Donie Ray Samba-an

Reputations:
    1.) GE63VR is running RAID 4, right?
    2.) Is IRST really necessary to be installed? I uninstalled it completely when I did a clean reset.