** MSI GE62 Apache (and Pro) Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by anethema, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Vyor

Vyor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You do not need to nuke the HDD.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Clean install will require extra time to load drivers and applications and this may take long time. You can do this with a clean MS Win10 image, which is downloadable from MS. Latest drivers & utilities can be obtained from MSI's product support page.
    Since you have the ISO of recovery discs you will need to use DVD drive to restore the OS to your SSD. It's do-able with USB flash drive but this requires the use of Microsoft deployment tools to merge image files as well as time/efforts to achieve this goal.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. asm1

asm1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @AkshayRao27

I would build W10 stock and then add back in the things you need, get the downloads from "your MSI Support Page". By all means have a copy of the backup (I do, as a "Just in case") I've got the images but don't plan on using them. When I ripped all the unnecessary things out my 7RF Apache Pro, the machine became much snappier. Turning off a lot of windows 10 things help too.

I followed some of the instructions in this video with my laptop "nearly new" at 2 weeks old.

- First things to do on a new W10 laptop. It caught my attention because this guy has an MSI.

Then do this to save yourself grief.

How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10

This video gave me some more tips.

How to Optimize Windows 10 For GAMING & Performance The Ultimate GUIDE - YouTube

Not mine at all but there is plenty of handy stuff.

Make sure your bios and EC firmware is up to date. If you open the machine, clear dust from fans. This can be a real killer for the fans and performance as it can cause heat increases which will slow the machine down, lower performance and generally not be a fun time and make it feel sluggish as you describe.

[​IMG]

^^ This was my gigabyte P34 after 2 years on the stock 'factory' thermal paste.
    It was getting so hot I could not type. Repasting the CPU and GPU made a huge difference to temperature levels. Your thermal Paste will probably have deteriorated like mine did. It got much cooler once I did the paste again and performance improved dramatically (and I was using an msata ssd)

Lastly, there is a thread here you should subscribe to : MSI GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO Drivers | NotebookReview

Not the same machine, but the poster helpfully updates when MSI/Nvidia or whoever release newer versions of the driver. - these might be newer than what is on your support page, that's ok!

The fresh build and with a new lean set up you will notice the difference - I did and can't recommend it more highly. Dump things you don't REALLY need from your build. Whether MSI or W10.

AkshayRao27 likes this.
  4. AkshayRao27

AkshayRao27 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you mean? I'm trying to say I'll format the HDD and start off with a clean Win10 install on my SSD. Why would I keep the Windows on my HDD intact?

Yes, I understand this. I'm planning to download all the drivers and stuff from MSI (the links in the first post are super helpful). I don't mind that it will take time and / effort to do this. I've done it before and I know what a colossal pain it can be haha! Thanks for the advice :)

asm1 likes this.
  5. AkshayRao27

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this! It was EXACTLY what I was looking for! I will do some research now and order some thermal paste as well :)

It sucks that there isn't some sort of a utility that scans all your drivers for updates. My ancient Dell N4110 had one and it was super convenient!

asm1 likes this.
  6. asm1

asm1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You're welcome :)
    There was such an utility On My Gigabyte too, but MSI is a bit more complicated. Only install what you NEED.

If you want to go really squeezy hardcore optimised W10 install see this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nbr-windows-10-clean-installation-guide.781178/

If you need help shout, either here or PM's I'll do what I can - advice etc. With a bit of work you can make a significant improvement.

7. AkshayRao27

Reputations:
    Perfect. I'll have a look there. I'm planning to order some thermal paste tomorrow. Thinking of going for the Arctic MX4 as people seem to be saying good things about it. Got any experience with the stuff?

asm1 likes this.
  8. asm1

asm1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No sorry, although Arctic Silver 5 was my go-to paste. Along with just about everyone :D MX4 should be fine for you, I've seen the reviews too.

For fixing the paste aberration on my previous Gigabyte laptop above, I decided to try IC 7 Diamond.
    It worked quite well and I've still got some left over, so when I feel the urge to repaste this MSI I will use that again. :)

9. AkshayRao27

Reputations:
    All right. I just ordered the MX-4 and their cleaning kit. Will post back once I've set everything up!

Where should I get the latest BIOS and EC versions from? The MSI support page for my machine (GE62 2QE Apache Pro) has BIOS version E16J1IMS.113 from 2016-05-09 and Firmware version
    16J1EMS1.506 from 2015-05-15. Is it possible that the last update was from over a year ago? Hard to believe really...

10. asm1

asm1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It gets like that, I'm afraid. Less support as your laptop ages. Best to compare with what you have installed. Easiest way is through the MSI Helpdesk in your Dragon Center app - that will tell you what you have.