** MSI GE62 Apache (and Pro) Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by anethema, Feb 23, 2015.

1. laoe

laoe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,
    I just recently upgraded my system with 2 new ssd and a 8GB ram. And I followed the this video and i did exactly what the video says.
    In Recovery Mode (F11), I select system partition recovery and luckily i backup'd all files on my hdd before hand since that option every time only recover and reformat my HDD. And in BIOS, while under UEFI mode, system couldnt identify my SSD
    Could anyone help id the problem? How do I use my recovery USB to install OS on my SSD?
    System: Win 10 Home
    Laptop: GE62 2QD, 960M, 5700HQ, 1TB HDD, *2x Sandisk X400 128GB M.2 2280 SATA 3* + 1 stock ram + *1 G Skill F3 1600C11S 8GSL 1x8GB ram*
    USB: 32GB Kingston

Double check:
    1. In CTRL+I, Volume 1 status showing normal, ID0: Sandisk SSD, ID1: Sandisk SSD, ID4 HDD
    2. Legacy mode for entering CTRL+I, then change back to UEFI

2. tomasoncz

tomasoncz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, how are your Apaches doing? :)

i am having a weird, problem lately. Technically, it is not a problem, yet, but it is weird. When i launch a game, i hear a weird noise coming from beneath the right side of the keyboard. It is probably the GPU. I thought it could be the fan, but when i press the dedicated fan button, the sound isn't there. It sounds a bit like electricity flowing thru partially shorted circuit or like when you connect a cable to a power outlet and the current skips and makes a spark. Sometimes i even noticed halved performance, but it is probably software related, because restart usually solves it. Any idea, what could be the cause? @Kevin@GenTechPC

Other thing, that could have something to do with it is crash on boot since W10 upgrade. Sometimes when i hibernate my PC, it boots to MSI logo and then silently turns itself off. I have to manually boot to the UEFI and from there restart, but i always loose all the data. The problem seems similar to what @Charles Malolo experienced, but i can boot to Windows after entering and exiting UEFI and all my disks seem to be working fine.

3. Leezarts

Leezarts Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Kevin@GenTechPC,

Thanks I found something similar at the local Best Buy and it worked great. Thanks for the suggestion now it all works.

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's good to know, enjoy it! :)

5. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is no official name for it, but any electrical noise/buzzing/squealing is a very common issue most often referred to as coil whine.

I was just at Best Buy and Fry's today seeing if other models produced the same coil whine my GS73VR does. I tried two GE62's and a GE72. All three produced the most coil whine of any of the laptops I looked at except for the XPS 15. The XPS 15 sounded like sizzling bacon when I tried to play a 4K video. The display on the Apaches also showed a lot of flex. Honestly, this laptop should be the same price or cheaper than the generic Clevo systems, and I would still choose a Clevo.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Top Clevo models should be compared with MSI GT series since GE should be out of question. :)

7. StevePCTech

StevePCTech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did consider a Sager/Clevo before getting my GE62 but it wasn't hard to find many dissatisfied customers with horror stories, thus the BBB rating of D-. I'm glad I stayed away.

8. StevePCTech

Reputations:
    Do you have it on a cooler? Have you repasted the CPU yet? My 6700hq (no cooling mods) does run several deg C cooler than my 4700hq at idle and max and so it should. You have a 4720hq correct? What are your max temps?

9. StevePCTech

Reputations:
    Even after repaste my Haswell my would run at 90c before doing any other cooling mods but the GE60 only has 1 fan and has poor ventilation underneath. I had to add copper shims & heatsinks, cut a 80mm whole and put in a wire mesh fan grill in the back cover and drill holes around the intake fan so it could suck in more air. After all that it will max out at low 80's (stock V and O/C'd) which is still a little higher than my Skylake. That's why I went with the Skylake, cooler, faster and more energy efficient.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Haswell tend to run a bit hotter than Skylake for sure, there's only that much you can do.