1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

MSI GE 60 or $1200 Laptops

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mana_Less, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mana_Less

Mana_Less Newbie

<span style="color:#646060">What is your budget?</span>
    $1000 - $1300

<span style="color:#646060">What country will you be buying this in?</span>
    US

<span style="color:#646060">What size notebook do you prefer?</span>
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

<span style="color:#646060">What brands do you like or dislike?</span>
    Like: MSI, Sager, Asus<br />Dislike: Alienware, Apple

<span style="color:#646060">Would you consider a refurbished laptop?</span>
    No

<span style="color:#646060">What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?</span>
    Web Surfing, Listening to Music, Video Editing

Watching Youtube Videos in 720p. Planning to use Sony Vegas 12 for gameplay Video Editing. Playing games like Left 4 Dead 2, Combat Arms, Bioshock Series, Borderlands, and maybe MOAB games like Smite or Dota 2.

<span style="color:#646060">Where will you be using this laptop?</span>
    Will be used different places and Will stay on desk

<span style="color:#646060">How many hours of battery life do you need?</span>
    3+

<span style="color:#646060">Will you be buying online or in store?</span>

<span style="color:#646060">Which OS do you prefer?</span>
    Windows 7

<span style="color:#646060">List the screen resolutions that interest you:</span>
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

<span style="color:#646060">Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?</span>
    Matte is fine

<span style="color:#646060">Is the laptops design important to you?</span>
    Yes

<span style="color:#646060">Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?</span>
    Around 07/01/2013

<span style="color:#646060">How long do you want this laptop to last?</span>
    4 years

<span style="color:#646060">How much storage capacity do you need?</span>
    750 GB

<span style="color:#646060">Are you interested in SSD for storage?</span>
    Yes

<span style="color:#646060">Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?</span>
    DVD Burner

Alright so I wanted a great gaming 15.6" laptop for my budget and came across the MSI GE60 2OE ($1200):
    MSI GE60 2OE-003US - XOTIC PC - MSI Gaming Laptop. I wanted faster load times and performance for the OS and other programs, so I added an ADATA 128 GB SSD ($165). It went over my budget, but I guess I have the money for it. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Windows 8, but I guess I have to suck it up and learn to use it. End of customization cost $1365.

But originally I wanted the MSI GE ONC ($900): XOTIC PC | MSI GE60 0NC-498US because of it's great reviews and it has Windows 7. Was going to add an ADATA 128GB SSD and change the 750GB 5400 RPM HDD to an 750GB 7200 RPM HDD and the total customization cost was $1200.

So should I got for the GE60 2OE ($1365) because of it has the new Haswell, better graphics card, and black lit keyboard or the GE60 ONC ($1200) because of Windows 7 and an alright gaming laptop.

If not the MSI GE60's any other laptops?

Note: Also with the customization for the laptops, should I change the Network Card? I've been having bad experiences with wireless internet. So will changing the built-in Single Band Wireless 802.11B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card to a Bigfoot Networks Killer&#8482; Dual Band Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module | Up to 450Mbps (3x3) help?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Mana_Less

Mana_Less Newbie

Bumped, because I need help deciding o_o

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

If you're looking for a stable, reliable connection, I'd instead go with either Intel's 6205 (2x2) or 6300 (3x3) instead of the Bigfoots cards (they're based on generic Atheros cards, but with custom firmware). If you're router isn't a very high-end one with three antennae, I'd go for 6205.

And personally, I'd go for a Crucial, Plextor, Samsung, or Intel SSD and nothing else, for reliability reasons (everyone else mostly uses generic SandForce controllers and firmware).

If you're looking for other laptops to consider, maybe you could take a look at the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 or Y510p or HP Envy dv6t?

4. Mana_Less

Mana_Less Newbie

This is a late reply, but thank you for the reply! After a few weeks, I'm having second thoughts on an SSD. I took your suggestion and decided to get a Crucial SSD. But I saw some posts about SSD's; in those posts, people said its lifespan is between a few weeks to 2 years. Those answers alone made me somewhat question if I should get a SSD or not.

So should I add an SSD to the MSI GE60-003US?

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Some people just get lemons... That's all I can say about "a few weeks". Some users are very I/O intensive, so the two years statement is somewhat accurate (for people like them), but inaccurate for average users. For example, I've had the Intel 320 for a little over two years and I've barely made a dent in it, so to speak. SMART data shows that I've only written about 4TB of data to it in that time, and in endurance testing on various SSDs 80TB is about the threshold for SSDs before they start losing performance. Most SSD makers go by a metric of 5GB of writes per day (more than I do) and rate their SSDs for around 10-20 years at the least (except for TLC-based SSDs, which are probably going to last about 7-16. Only one so far is the Samsung 840, non-Pro version though). So I wouldn't be too worried about that sort of thing. By the time the SSD will start dying (average time), you'd probably be on a new computer, or the one after that.

I'd still go with a SSD for sure. The benefits far outweigh the cons. And as with *any* storage medium (be it SSDs, HDDs, whatever), always keep backups and you'll be fine.

6. Mana_Less

Mana_Less Newbie

Alright thank you. I'm back on board with SSD's. Oh forgot to mention I took your Intel 6205 Network Card suggestion as well. Now my final question is should I go with the MSI GE60 or the Sager 8250? I've recently considered the 8250 because of it's graphics cards only (GTX 770m). Basically GTX 765m vs GTX 770m. I've looked at a benchmark for the 765m (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - NotebookCheck.net Tech) and I see the 765m can play any game with 60+ FPS fine at low and medium settings. So should I get a laptop with a 770m just for at least 10 more FPS or would the GE60 be fine for me?

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

GPUs are one of the few things in the world that truly follow the "you get what you pay for" saying. GPU performance vs cost is roughly linear (except for very expensive GPUs like the x80M cards). So if you think it's worth it, go for it. Personally, if I were buying a gaming laptop today then I'd be fine with the 765M, but yet again I'm not really much of a gamer...

8. Mana_Less

Mana_Less Newbie

Many thanks Jarhead! I'll stick with the MSI GE60 because I'm not a big gamer as well. I just have a lot of back-logged games in my Steam Library because I have an Intel Express Family Chip for my GPU and 70GB HDD. Want to try out those back-logged games and game series like Skyrim, Borderlands, Mass Effect, and Dark Souls. Anyway, you've been a big help!