MSI ga65 vs RAZER blade 15 from outside of the US

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Saif Selati, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Saif Selati

Saif Selati Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone
    this is my 1st post here, kindly excuse my bad English.
    I would like to buy a new laptop which would serve me for both productivity and gaming.

I’m basically torn apart between the GS65 and Razer Blade 15.
    I’m from out side the US and we don’t have warranty for Razer here and I’m concerned with QC that the Razer have, I’m concerned that I buy it, ship it here and then find out it has an issue.

Any thoughts ?

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Fill the form first so we can give you a proper recommendation:

### What Should I Buy FORM (Must Read Before Posting!) ###

I live in Dubai so I order all my laptops from HIDevolution because they have superb build quality so you are sure to receive a laptop that works 100% out of the box and they have the best customer service I've ever experienced. In addition, they have a global warranty option which covers shipping costs if you had to ever send the laptop to them for repairs.

If it's just a small part that needs changing and you are comfortable to do so yourself (example: a keyboard or RAM, etc) then they will send you the part and even pay for shipping as part of the global warranty

HIDevolution does a lot of quality checks on the laptops they build and they have the best thermal upgrades which ensures your CPU doesn't over heat like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for the liquid paste along with the Fujipoly Thermal Pads which you can choose when configuring your laptop on their site.

the man to talk to is Donald you can email him on donald@hidevolution.com so you can get the Notebook Review Forum discount as well when you decide what laptop you want.

b_fizzle likes this.
  3. Saif Selati

Saif Selati Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply it was really helpful , I will post another post there

4. Saif Selati

Saif Selati Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    Up to 3000 over all

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Saudi Arabia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: anothing works for me
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    I’d rather not

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Primary for Productivity
    Secondary for gaming
    And I need them to be effective in both xD

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Not much, but I like having the option to do so

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    WOW
    LOL
    CUPHEAD
    ASSASSIN CREED
    Witcher 3

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 4

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I’m buying the laptop on line

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    2K screen with good refresh rate

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    No preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I like it to have nice looks

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Althis month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5-7 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I don’t want it to fail

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I don’t have a problem with that

Extra info:
    My mind is on the msi gs65 and the Razer Blade 15
    I like the Razer Blade more , but the price tag is very high and I’m afraid of its QC issue and the screen light bleed

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I recommend you this one:

Custom Built MSI GS65 8RF Stealth THIN-053 15.6" w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

When configuring it, I recommend you choose the following options:

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE – installed by HIDevolution

Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0 - installed by HIDevolution {I would choose this over the Killer 1550 because the Killer Driver support and software are horrible in my opinion, like if you had the Killer 1550, the moment you go online Windows automatically download and installs the Killer Software from the Windows Store which sets a limit on how programs use the internet which I don't like, I want all my programs to have the full speed at all times as we are in a day and age where Internet speeds are blistering fast and there's no need for throttling/capping some programs so that others have enough bandwidth}

I recommend you email donald@hidevolution.com before ordering to get the NBR Forum Discount and also ask him about the global warranty since you are in Saudi

If you do end up joining the HIDevolution Gaming Team, then feel free to tag me by placing an @ sign before my username (example: @ Ultra Male) without the space after the @ sign if you want me to help you tweak your laptop. Here are the Ultra Male Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Disabling Microsoft Edge from starting up automatically in the background upon reboot.
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    14- Preventing Microsoft Edge from running on startup in the background
    15- Creating a system restoration image using Macrium Reflect

[​IMG]

b_fizzle and Saif Selati like this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think these are all 15-inch laptops with good graphics and good battery life: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

We can easily rule out the Clevos from the list, the Aero 15X and also the Alienware.
    Which leaves you with the Razer Blade (note that there are two versions), MSI GS65 or its Prestige version and the Asus GM501GS, which, unfortunately, barely gets to the 3-hour battery life mark.
    There is also the Gigabyte Aorus X5 V8 which I think comes with a 2-year international warranty.

If you are not going to move it that much, do you really need that many hours of battery life? Most gaming laptops have trouble providing good battery life.

Either way, I think both the Razer and MSI are great laptops. There are horror stories for both of the models you listed, but there are also many many happy buyers. It's all about chance, and no one can guarantee everything will be smooth with your laptop. If you are concerned about this aspect, buy from someone who you know will give you good aftersales support.

Whatever you buy, I highly recommend you thermal mod it. If you do go with the Razer or MSI and buy from abroad, I do recommend you get it from somewhere like HidEvolution or XoticPC to get the best after sales customer support and maybe even opt for their thermal improvement mod.

b_fizzle, Saif Selati and Ultra Male like this.
  7. b_fizzle

b_fizzle Newbie

Reputations:
    I find myself in very much a similar situation as the OP, with the only difference being that I'm in the US. I heard the MSI has great battery life but found the Xotic site estimating 3+ hrs vs the Aorus at more than twice as much (which seemed absurdly high).

So while I weigh the Razer, Aorus, and MSI (leaning a bit towards MSI) I just want to say thank you to you all here as this thread is incredibly helpful!

Saif Selati likes this.
  8. Saif Selati

Saif Selati Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you everyone for your help

Blacky likes this.
  9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Backlight Bleeding on Blade 15 seems already addressed, I saw several users reported free of it and saw windows display unit here in Germany was also free of it. First batch Blade is always comes with issues, mine has also BLB but very minimum. You can check it through 3rd party like Hidevolution to make more sure though.
    If you’re looking to gaming a lot on Assassin Creed Franchises, Witcher and want your laptop last long like that, get base model any gaming laptops you want and pair it with eGPU setting high end card, cpu temperature on default would be around 20 degrees lower than playing on dGPU unless you got your machine well Liquid Metal repasted. Those thin light categorie laptops has not good cooling room inside for keeping cpu temperatures on 70ish. New AC Odyssey even pushed cpu to 80ish, first time on my eGPU setting with 2080. Other games is fine on max low 80ish factory paste.
    Performance isn’t as good as it should be on desktop but you can play on 2K or even 4K on some titles and keep your cpu cooler for longer lifespan. My old Blade 14 paired with eGPU can hold its mint condition almost 2 years gaming usage and sold with also not bad for reduced value to get current Blade 15. I was using it almost over 50% paired with eGPU (Razer Core v2 plus 1080ti) for 1440p and 4K games on external 4K monitor mostly.

Ultra Male, Saif Selati and Blacky like this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They released a new Blade 15 last week I think with Per Key RGB Lighting and Innovative Vapor Chamber Cooling System. It's in the Razer Blade link I posted above.

Ultra Male, Saif Selati and Joikansai like this.