MSI 1763(GT70 barebones) vs Alienware 17 vs Asus G750JX-DB71

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by deltazx, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltazx

deltazx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been looking at laptops for quite a while now, and I have not found any thread similar to the thread I am making, so this will decide what laptop I will next purchase.

MSI GT70:
    FORCE / MSI 1763 (22-002) 770M (MSI GT70 Barebones) | XOTIC PC
    Upgraded to have Windows 8.1, 120GB Samsung EVO(1TB 5400 as 2nd drive). Total price just shy of $1600

ASUS G750JX-DB71:
    Asus G750JX DB71 Core i7 4700HQ GTX 770M 1TB HDD 256GB SSD 17 3" Notebook | eBay
    Specs are there, but as of 1/17/2014, the price is $1610

Alienware 17:
    Alienware 17 R1 4th Generation Core i7 4700MQ 16GB 750GB 1080p 3GB GTX770M Wty | eBay
    Counterproductive to people who say Alienware is overpriced, this laptop is at $1450.

Now, with all the features taken care of, I will give my criterias etc.

1) What is your budget?
    $1800, but would prefer to keep it less(want to get a phone too).

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    'Murica

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Anything with a good large keyboard and good fans.
    b. Dislike: Lenovo(typing this on a Y480).
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Would prefer, with the lower price, honestly.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Video editing, sound editing, and gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Leaves my desk every 1-2 weeks and goes to India with me once a year.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Racing, adventure, and open-world.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 2 hours of surfing.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Describe it good and give me good pictures: I've seen the Asus in real life, but yet to see the AW and MSI.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    The only os.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    1080P

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Don't care; whichever has better quality, as I sit in a room where I can "Turn the lights of, then turn them back on".

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Late February-early March.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years.

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Don't need more than 500GB. An ssd would be nice, but is not needed.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Don't care.

Those were my options so far. If anyone could give me dissassembly and pics for all the parts of the laptops and reviews of the keyboard, it would save me from having to go places. If there are any other suggestions, please tell me. Oh, and Sager is out: Loud fans, terrible keyboard, little weaker build.

Thanks to anyone who helps,
    Joy

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
  3. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. deltazx

Reputations:
    Well, you see, from reviews I've seen, the MSI is just a little louder(not really perceptible). The Alienware is nice, but a little too colorful. No one seems to have said anything about the Asus?

5. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the ASUS uses an oddly shaped GPU, say either a dell, msi or a clevo has a GPU dying on them, they can get a replacement/upgrade GPU out of the 3 brands on ebay, but ASUS, you're locked to your own GPU, and you won't find the newest ones for repair

ASUS also has horrible ROG warranty IIRC, but don't trust me on this line, because that was just another "from what i've heard" and should not be taken seriously

i'd pick the alienware OR MSI before the asus simply due to the level of aftermarket hardware support, and well, you looked at a brand new, open box and refurbished laptop trying to compare their values under the speculation of nothing will break within some years of usage, i'd pick on the alienware for how good their quality are, or an MSI given its brand new and warranted by xoticPC for sure

deltazx likes this.
  6. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would go for the asus for the temps :)

7. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well in my experiences, ASUS's tech support is horrible. So i agree with you. Alienware is much better in that regard, i don't know about MSI i don't own any of their products.

I am only one person, don't take my word for it.

8. deltazx

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your opinions! Balancing the fact that the Alienware doesn't have an SSD(I could always upgrade it on Black Friday), and the fact that is is better build quality, is the MSI worth the $150 more? I guess it is a bit lighter, but what about the keyboard(don't like chiclet), and the PSU not being able to handle the GPU(people say it runs on battery for an extra boost). Need help to avoid a headache.

9. deltazx

Reputations:
    Well, after going through a bunch of lists and stuff, I''m counting the ASUS out. How about the others? Which would you guys prefer?

10. deltazx

Reputations:
    I have done some thinking, and both of them are at $1600.
    The Alienware:Alienware 17 R1 4th Generation Core i7 4700MQ 16GB 750GB 1080p 3GB GTX770M Win 8 884116047070 | eBay
    SSD:Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Internal Serial ATA Solid State Drive for Laptops MZ-7PD128BW - Best Buy

And you guys already the know the MSI upgrades.
    So, now, I just want to know which I should get, because both cost the same. It has been sandpapered into the MSI GT70 build and features VS Alienware 17 build and features. Can anyone please conclude this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.