MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5) Fan Modifications

Discussion in 'MSI' started by alaskajoel, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, have some pics:

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Smile :)
    [​IMG]

It's by no means perfect, but so far I'm pretty satisfied with it

2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Will it fit my msi ms-1762?

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My GPU fan died a while back, got a replacement for that and bought this recommended pair of ADDA fans back then but never installed them.

Fast forward to now, the CPU fan died. Decided to switch the working fan to the CPU and install the ADDA GPU fan. It's working fantastically!

One thing I will say is if you cut the connector and wire length off the old stock fan you don't have to worry about reversing the wires for the plug when you solder since the wire colors match up with the stock fan connector wires. Plus it gives you a decent wire length extension since you can cut the wire as long as possible.

I bought the G750 pair (cpu + gpu fan) so I have the smaller ADDA CPU fan from the G750. I've decided not to use that and ordered two more ADDA GPU fans for good measure and I'll install one of those when they arrive on the CPU side.

Awesome stuff. Thanks @alaskajoel

EDIT: I did notice my heatpipe configuration on my EVOC looks different from some other people's heat pipe config. Did this change along the way on this model? Is it 1070 vs 1080?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm finding that the new ADDA fan is much louder under full 4K gaming load. GPU is sitting at throttled 90C while doing this.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That doesn't seem normal for the GTX 1080 in this model because I know they used the lower TDP 150W version.

6. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it's louder it is faulty. My GPU fan doesn't make my GTX 1080 throttling...

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could be the TIM needs to be reapplied. Shrug. It was running at 5K rpm and the GPU was at 90C. I was playing Skyrim SE on ultra at 4K. I think the same with Divinity Original Sin 2 at 4K. It didn't seem like the airflow was incorrect. Plenty of air was moving though the rear vent. I taped the top of the fan near the edge where the fins the pipes connect to are to reduce air leakage to force it all out the vent with aluminum tape. It's seems sensible that the fan would be loud spinning at 5K. The stock fans top out at 3.5k rpm I think.

I ratcheted the game down to 1080p and it's nearly silent now.

8. David Parushev

David Parushev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I added m.2 adapter to usb 3.0 mini B and I attached to it 2x5V fans to cooldown my ssd, but they didn't start.
    Probably m.2 slot have some device authentication before it can run power through the power pins ?
    Could some one help ? Can this work with some small modification ?
    (I use the adda g20 fans and there is no air flow to the motherboard and SSD -bpx mydigitalssd-temp=75-85C// PCH temp-75-88C)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So your idea is interesting, but the M.2 NGFF standard does not include a 5v source, only 3.3v. What it looks like you have there is a PCIe extender board, commonly used for GPU mining. Even though a USB port is present, there is no USB functionality whatsoever and no power is sent across the cable. You can read more about them here.

What you are trying to do is possible with another NGFF adapter made for this purpose. IIRC, USB D+ and D- are provided on the M.2 bus in this laptop, just not 5v. The two cards I have had success with in the past look like the ones below. (I did this to permanently install a wireless USB mouse adapter for my Logitech G700)

One card adds its own controller for 2 USB ports and uses PCIe, the other is just a USB port directly from the D+ and D- in the NGFF interface. Note that both require additional 5v power. The easiest way to get 5v power is from the 2.5" SATA...which since you are just running fans and not using USB data, I would skip the USB headache and just tap the 2.5" SATA power adapter for a 5v source and run your fan off it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  10. David Parushev

David Parushev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's possible to power 5v fan with 3.3V.(tried on 3.3V of a raspberry board) But I need the right adapter :/
    I solder wire to the 3.3V and ground (see photos) is connected to the usb to all ground pins.
    Is it safe to try it out ? (I isolated the wire after the picture)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    hmscott likes this.