MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5) Fan Modifications

Discussion in 'MSI' started by alaskajoel, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will this void warranty in any way if we destroy the fan mounts? Not sure how @Eurocom Support would take to us if we returned them these laptops in this condition for service.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭ค ̷̧̟̭̺͕̜̦̔̏̊̍ͧ͊́̚̕͞ עٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    Oh damn I didn't notice this!

If you want the fans I have them ready and can ship from US. I'll get an FS thread running on the trade section soon.

aaronne likes this.
  3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice mod! I was noticing how my F5 fan's seem to be louder over a year later at idle.. They just sound kind of grindy on idle now, still quiet in most situations but I feel like I notice them a lot more than I used to.

4. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:

Very nice write up, thank you for sharing ! + rep for you good sir !

syscrusher likes this.
  6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Yes and No.

as a whole laptop yes it voids the warranty, in case you are wondering.
    Physical modifications would allow the manufacturer to refuse any warranty offered previously because they can say it was user error and physical damage.
    Have to be careful and smart with how you proceed.
    In worst case get permission or ask them for help, have your seller do the mods for you and guarantee it.

7. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Worst case, if anyone is coming here because they have broken fans, these can be replaced, me and others have them (anyone who sells the F5 pretty sure, AND maybe even directly with MSI).

Now what I have done for my F5 that I have lying around was not fan mods, but rather a targus fan cooler, I modified that to step the 5V from the USB to 12V ran 2 of them to a rectifier and a little controller to run 3 x NFA9X14 (very thin Noctua fans, but they run good and silent)

I'd show pictures, but it's buried under some junk at the moment from rearranging office, will try and remember when I dig it out eventually.

Gonna test one of these F5's running as an Ethminer.

hmscott, aaronne and saturnotaku like this.
  8. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, great advice on PWM and cables! I tried this mod with my MSI 16L3 for GPU only and I have to say that ADDA fan has great potential and has a nice sound profile, but it's so thick it can't take in fresh air with bottom cover on. In my case shaving edge of stock fan mount supposedly isn't enough as I can't close bottom cover perfectly without pushing it strongly. I did some simple test with furmark, with bottom cover on GPU reached 78-80 °C. When I left 0.5 cm space temp fell down to 65-67 °C, so fan hold pretty well when given enough air - amazing!. I think shaving more plastic or bottom cover mod is necessary to make full use of this fan.

alaskajoel likes this.
  9. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you record a video of Eurocom F5 running with modded fans, just to get an idea of how much is it noisy and which kind of noise it makes?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update:
    I've drilled a hole in the bottom cover using a hole saw, then covered it with fine-grained mesh. Hole size is same as size of hole on the fan. I decided to keep it small since bottom cover touches fan very tightly and it wouldn't much air suck in with larger hole. Results are phenomenal:

Furmark test with auto fans, GTX 1070:
    AAVID Fan (stock one) + NO hole (stock)
    75-76 °C, ~3000 RPM

ADDA Fan (thick one) + NO hole
    78-80 °C, ~3200 RPM

ADDA Fan (thick one) + Hole
    65-67 °C, ~2500 RPM

I haven't tested stock fan + hole yet. I wouldn't expect improvement anywhere near to ADDA, because stock fan makes use of that giant hole in bottom cover already. Difference may be 2-4 °C I guess. Maybe... only maybe ADDA fan is not only more quiet, but it also simply outperforms stock one? Idle temps are better as well (33 °C vs 38 °C) .This requires further investigation.

When it comes to noise, difference is HUGE for me. I have tried several AAVID fans and even the best one was still unbearably growling even under light load. ADDA sounds "clean" and "smooth".
    Thing I'm wondering about now is how this mod affects temperature of other components (memory, disk, wifi) ? Now there is no opportunity to cool down other components with air that passes through main hole to the fan since air goes directly to the fan.

Now only stock CPU fan is annoying me with it's noise :) I've ordered second ADDA fan and will install it when it arrives. I will also check temperature of other components.

@Skylake_
    I don't have capable mic right now and of course to make it fairly comparable stock fan should be recorded under similar conditions. If I manage to find some time I will try to record that for you.

alaskajoel likes this.