*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You can now see everything in real time. Put up Hwinfo as you want and follow exactly what you want monitoring.
    upload_2017-10-12_18-7-6.png

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice new feature. Another option to using RTSS and OSD.

Huniken, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't remember exactly but 4.8 was around 82-85 without air pad and 4.9 around 89c-92c without air pad.

Used HWinfo, no power limit I believe but will check on 5.0Ghz as the Physics scores were horrendous compared to the recent 4.8/4.9Ghz.

Argh, nothing is perfect in this world! But I still like this little beast, really enjoying daily driving it at home and at work 24/7. Money well spent I'd say :D

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  4. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies regarding the EVOC 16l-g-1080. How is the screen in terms of color accuracy?? And should i be concerned that it doesnt come with gsync?? Just for reference i want to get the 1080p 120hz monitor. At home i will most likely get a different monitor to play on but i do travel alot for work so i will be using the laotop screen quite often. Thanks again.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All 16L-13 display choices include G-Sync.

6. menko

menko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use the laptop normal, straight. But I notice that lifting it up changes the temps like 4°C. A lot!

7. menko

menko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow what a change in my laptop...

I remove the low cover completely to simulate how it will be with the holes where the fans are and the temps went down around 8°C in CPU and 11°C in GPU. I hope the temps with only the holes will stay the same as without any bottom-cover. Also the fact of being lifted with the cover helped so I'll get a Coolpad with fans.

I could overclock the GPU 150mhz and memory 350mhz and I got this score. IMG_20171012_140103-1587x896.jpg

Slowly is getting better and temps as well.

8. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 1080p 120hz monitor does not support G-sync. I have had no issues with the screen but not gotten as much time to game on my machine as others may have. I have not used a G-sync monitor so I cannot speak from experience but I always thought G-sync was a little unnecessary and waste of money if you have a high refresh rate monitor, especially if you have a PC that can keep the frames up for it. I have a 144hz screen for my desktop and 120hz on my laptop and I feel like I get the same experience when using both monitors (one does not feel smoother or anything per say being 24hz different) especially since this laptop can keep 120fps in most games, especially if you lower some settings. Maybe people who have used G-sync displays and have used this 120hz screen without it can shed some other input but to be honest, I do not feel like I am missing out in the slightest. This is better than any other 60hz laptop screen I have ever used in the past and I love how smooth it is and being able to get similar (the same) performance out of it as I get on my desktop computer.

As far as color accuracy. I do not have a tool to measure it or adjust it using some of the tools that people have out there, but I have no issues with color accuracy (but I am not doing serious color/image work, just basic desktop work and gaming). I mean, it is a TN panel vs IPS so it's not the best display ever made, but in terms of how the screen looks and with color accuracy, I would definitely say it has better colors than my Asus VG248QE which seems to have very bland colors and requires me using a icc profile and setting digital vibrance to 85% or higher in nvidia control panel to get decent looking colors. This screen looks better out of the box and there is a icc profile to download for it as well which may help if needed.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There you go! Very nice! Your temps will be very similar with the holes as with the bottom cover removed. Check with @Donald@HIDevolution if they are selling the bottom covers modded still or if they ran out. Then you can keep your stock one as a spare. The fans are almost touching the bottom cover. I don't know what the morons that designed that were thinking. I always use the word "choke" to describe it, because that is exactly what it does.

Be really careful on the cooling pad. Most of them are worthless garbage. It will cost more, but do yourself a favor and get a U3 and forget about anything else. If you cannot afford to buy all of the parts for modding at once, just get the U3 for now and buy the modding parts in stages as you can afford it. The stock fans are extra crappy, but still a better product than any other cooling pad. If you cannot afford a U3 right now, don't waste your money on anything else. Just use a couple of plastic Coke bottle caps under the rubber feet in back or a short stick of 1"x 2" lumber to raise the back of it until you can buy a U3.

I have modded three of them, and remodded them again. @Papusan and many others have followed suit. Below are several albums of photos you can look at.

Notepal U3 Fan Mod | MrFox - Imgur
    Notepal U3 Plus Fan Mod | MrFox - Imgur
    Another U3 Mod | MrFox - Imgur

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see the U3 PLUS on Amazon for $41.99 is this the same as a "u3"? Is there a "normal U3" VS a "PLUS"? I have some iteration of a U2 or U3 at home (believe it is 3 but I gave it to my brother to use as he uses a BGA crap book as his primary PC and did not head my advice a year or 2 ago when he bought it and build a new desktop or get a different laptop, at least he went with a Clevo though) but I have not looked or checked it in a while and I'm not sure if there is a difference between them? Either way, it worked great just using it as a standard cooling pad without modding, I guess I didn't realize how lucky I got when I just happened to see and buy that one vs other junk that was out there years ago when I got my AW17.

Mr. Fox and Donald@HIDevolution like this.