*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @menko Is the back of the laptop elevated using a stand or a cooling stand?

menko and hmscott like this.
  2. menko

menko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. I managed to get the CPU at 80°C undervolt with core voltaje offset -110 at 4,39Ghz.
    That's ok for me.

Now I'm going with the GPU which I get this:
    IMG_20171012_124017-1587x896.jpg

I get 90°C with stock everything in GPU and fans at full max.

Any idea of how can I lower this temp?

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You are welcome. Nice job improving the CPU. Re-read the information above, as that answers your question about improving the GPU temps. You can also lower the GPU voltage curve as @ThatOldGuy has explained.

4. menko

menko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't find the message about how to lower the voltage curve.

Do you have the link or post that explain it?

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tested at 4.9Ghz, holds clocks nicely with a static 1210Mv but had less points, 14500ish compared to 4.8Ghz and that is probably due to more heat as I didn't have a cooler pad at that moment.

Now back at 4.4 with a 1050Mv doing AIDA stress test, after 7 minutes all 4 cores are overheating...no air pad.

So the question is, why on 5.0Ghz the clocks don't hold? Heat can be managed with an air pad nicely in an A/C room.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So couple questions about the EVOC 16l-g-1080. Im petty sure im going to order this laptop from HID In the very near future. I want this laptop for gaming only so do you think this is a good option since it nost definitely the most powerful option around especially in 15 inch form factor?? How is it built?? Is the build good quality? And most importantly how does it handle heat while doing some intensive gaming for hours at a time?? Like i said this is going to be for gaming only. I want something in 15 inch so i can travel with it easier through airports and what not. I was originally thinking alienware but this is actually cheaper and is obv wayyy more powerful. Is it a low maintenance machine for the most part? Im new to pc gaming so how much am i going to have to tweak the cpu and gpu to get it gaming nicely?? Im just trying go figure out whats best for me. I think this is a good option i just wanted your guys honest opinions. Thanks guys.

Huniken and Vasudev like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Most likely due MSI engineers has put in some nasty tveaks(in firmware level who can't be removed).
    Nice job with trying to increase FS physics score. +rep
    From your older post.
    What cpu temp you get in Firestrike with 4.8 vs. 4.9GHz?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Huniken and Vasudev like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you open Throttlestop and check Limit Reasons to be sure those clocks are actually holding at 4.9 ghz? Make sure the CPU goes over 91W when you do a CPU test.

Check the same thing at 5 ghz also though. Most likely Power Limit 2 throttling (Cancer firmware).

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I only remember seeing it, and since I do not do that I will let @ThatOldGuy old guy explain what he does and how to do it.

MSI engineered it with functional limitations that cannot be corrected by firmware mods.

This is the only good 15-inch notebook made as far as I am concerned. Everything else blows in comparison to it, so good and wise choice. Getting it from HIDevolution is excellent. It will have most of the thermal management tweaks already done for you, along with the CMOS battery access mod, and it will have @Prema BIOS by default. Here is my review of it as the Eurocom Tornado F5. This was before any kind of tweaks (brand new, stock BIOS) and will give you a good look at it in an unpolished state. It is well made and easy to work on.

Also, subscribe and check out the other videos in my YouTube channel.

For most people the limitations will never be relevant or apparent. Most won't want to overclock that high, and most don't know how. For guys like us the limitations are a problem.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If HWiNFO64 is running, that gives a lot more detailed information than ThrottleStop does. If ThrottleStop Limit Reasons light up, those errors will also show in HWiNFO64. Both are excellent programs for different reasons, but you have to either watch ThrottleStop or use the log feature. Not sure if the Limit Reasons are in the log file or not... I have not checked for that.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.