*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Use a soft creamy thermal paste, cream or toothpaste for checking the heatsink fit on IHS. Same for GPU die.

Edit. Don’t forget checking thermal pads. Could be they should be thinner. Too thick and the heatsink won’t sit even on IHS/die.
    No, the Coffee die is bigger.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. menko

menko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of returning the laptop. Im worried to be playing at this temps.

Mr Fox,

1) what are the average temps of CPU and GPU for this laptop without the modded back with holes?

Will be good to know how much I'm getting comparing to the other owners.
    2) Is it safe to be playing with 90°C of more in GPU and 95°C in CPU?

Thanks a lot

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well...
    1. This is a loaded question. Too many variables. Ambient temps, whether you have the fans running full blast, whether you are using the notebook on a cooler, flat on a desk, in your lap. The next question is easier to answer.
    2. Safe... yes. Good for performance... nope. CPU and GPU will both suffer from thermal throttling and performance will suffer because of it.
    Objectively, all newer laptops run way too hot as shipped from the manufacturer and that is no exaggeration. Anything you buy is going to require special attention if you want good temps. Nothing in a high-performance notebook ships in proper working order unless you buy from a boutique (HIDevolution) or small reseller (woodzstacks) that painstakingly takes a number of extra steps (those you would take yourself) to improve the situation. Consider that the castrated turdbooks with half the CPU TDP run just as hot or hotter from the factory, and can't hold a candle to it in terms of performance. It is a matter of lackluster engineering and crappy QC. If you want something that has excellent temps, you will either take the necessary steps to address the issues on a laptop, or just totally forget about laptops and build a liquid cooled desktop.

Have you already tried undervolting the CPU? Even with a delid, perfect paste job, and lapping the CPU you will need to think about doing the mod open up the bottom cover to allow the fans to work correctly because the stock bottom cover chokes it and reduces fan effectiveness.

Also, bear in mind that each change adds up to a big difference in the aggregate. Delid with liquid metal will knock anywhere from 10-20°C off the CPU temps. Opening the bottom cover above the fans where it can breathe will knock another 3-5°C off the temps. Using it on a good cooler or elevating it so there are no restrictions to air intake, figure another 3-5°C... before you know it, you're overclocking at 4.7GHz (instead of stock 4.2GHz) at 10-15°C less than when you first got it and everything was stock. And, if you do not overclock, it's running cooler than you might have thought possible.

The one fault that the 16L13 has, which happens to be one of the reasons many people want it, is the fact that it is a 15-inch form factor. There is no room in the chassis for larger radiators, more heat pipes, etc. The smaller and thinner a notebook is, the less likely it is to have an effective thermal management system. It's like trying to put 10 pounds of sand in a 5 pound sack. There are some huge laptops that totally suck at cooling as well, but those are without a legitimate excuse... they're just made like garbage. I'd say the 16L13 can claim that excuse because it is small and space is limited. It is an excellent product overall.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  4. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I would give you a +Rep for your response above, but I have to spread the love around before I can. Informative as always, sir. Thanks.

syscrusher, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. menko

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the help. Well needed. Tomorrow I'll decide about returning.

1) Ambient temps is 23°C. Running in my desk table. I tried at full fan and lowered 1°C the temps only. So 89°C GPU and 95°C CPU. This goes into what you consider normal? Specially the GPU as I left the game just 10min and had to stop it as the GPU kept getting hotter.

2) I also delided the CPU and there is no changes in the temps at all. Used CLU. Someone reliable did it for me.
    The lapping I did it myself and took me quite some time to polish to the max. But no changes either.

3) About undervolt I have no idea how to do it. I don't have the unlocked BIOS so I'm a bit lost here. How can I do it? Any value somewhere to put?

4) For last I can leave the bottom cover completely open to see. I guess will be similar than making the holes before I decide to return it.

I have done so much to the laptop and I'm stuck as in the beggining. I payed a lot for something that will throttle...not the best.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Can you please take a picture of HWinfo window with your CPU at full load please? I need cpu vcore and temps, especially CPU vcore. Thank you!

menko likes this.
  7. menko

Reputations:
    Is this what you need?

IMG_20171012_042225-1466x1120.jpg

Someone told me to put in power options, advanced, the max processor state from 100% to 95%. It does reduce the temps of CPU by 7-8°C. Benchmark also dropped.

The screenshot I post is with 100% full load with PRIME95 running.

The GPU i can't find a was to cool it. 90°C+ is too much.

Do you see anything strange?

Thank you

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Please show HWinfo "Sensors only" screenshots.
    That page doesn't clearly show what the current active CPU speed actually is. It could be anywhere from 4200 mhz to 4500 mhz in that screenshot. It isn't clear.

When you run hwinfo next time, just press "sensors only".

If it's showing up as 1.18v for 4.2 ghz, that's way too high voltage. Even 4.5 ghz shouldn't be using much more than 1.1v

menko likes this.
  9. menko

Reputations:
    IMG_20171012_044503-920x1632.jpg IMG_20171012_044523-920x1632.jpg IMG_20171012_044503-920x1632.jpg IMG_20171012_044534-920x1632.jpg IMG_20171012_044549-920x1632.jpg IMG_20171012_044602-920x1632.jpg
    Here it is. Please let me know what to do and if you see something in the GPU which is worst temps than CPU. Thank you

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Learn how to undevolt with Throttlestop.
    Why use P95 ? You don't have a desktop. Rather Download and istall AIDA64 v5.99 for your stress testing.

How to use AIDA64...

1. Fire up Aida64 + Hwinfo64. In Aida64 Click Tools. Then click System Stability Test.
    [​IMG]
    2. . Click the boxes.
    upload_2017-10-12_4-57-7.png
    3. Click the start button and let the show begin:D

For more heat put up Aida64 like this setup!!

Run HWINFO in the background as the pict in the spoiler.
    upload_2017-10-12_5-1-9.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Vasudev, Ashtrix and menko like this.