*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What my F5 becomes when I'm tired and not paying enough attention at midnight :)

2. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, I will give it a try and report back on it in a few hours. Will try it with the cooling pad.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For the GPU leave the voltage curve alone. That feature is garbage and makes my GPUs in the Clevo and 16L13 run like crap. Undervolting a Pascal GPU has never been a good idea if you like stability and performance. Pascal voltage is already on the edge of being too low to work correctly, and they start acting spastic when you lower the voltage curve. I really hate what NVIDIA has done to Pascal. Powerful, yes... only because of higher core and memory clocks. Unless you want to run everything stock like a sissy boy, Pascal is a screwed up product in terms of functionality and cancer firmware. It seems it was designed primarily for gamer noob's that never overclock. Even though they are less powerful, due to lower clock speeds, Maxwell and Kepler were better products in many respects.

You need to overclock the GPU and keep it as cool as possible to break 20k. Otherwise, it will throttle to near stock clocks long before it actually gets hot enough that it needs to throttle to avoid overheating.

Jon Webb, Robbo99999, Talon and 2 others like this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mostly positive it is a case per case basis. I run several afterburner profiles. Not doing anything demanding, and playing older AAA and indie games right now. So I have undervolted to 0.800v @ 1733MHz and sitting comfortable and quiet @ 66C after hours of Dragon Age Inquisition maxed out.

@Papusan @Mr. Fox It is fine to change voltage curve, no problems here. Epic facepalm for those who bought into 1080 Max-Quids. @ 0.800v @ 1733MHz I am sittng well below 40 DB and score 1000 more Time Spy GPU (MAx-Q ~5600 notebookcheck). Poeple simply didn't realize they could play with the the voltage curve themselves, and bought Ngredia's lies.

upload_2017-9-13_10-25-30.png

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you are striving for overclocking stability, messing with the voltage curve causes me nothing but grief in terms of stability. Lowering voltage to run stock might be OK, but I haven't needed to do that.

Are you only seeing a maximum of 1733 after undervolting? My GPU runs at 1850 with boost clocks.

Here is the same run on mine. Stock CPU and GPU clocks, no U3 cooler, just sitting on a flat surface with max fans.

upload_2017-9-13_8-50-58.png

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I think he running Max-Qrippled default voltage and clocks:D And same time score higher than Ngreedia/OEMs overpriced Scam:p

7. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Yes, I undervolted as far as I can go and Underclocked (not overclocked). No longer a curve, but a strait line 1733MHz was sweet spot for 0.800v and stability.

Original purpose was to prove to someone that Max-Q was pointless, as you can do similar thing with normal GTX 1080 (underclock and undervolt). I decided to keep the profile for general use (where games use 100% GPU, but don't need 1000% power to get over 120FPS). Temps stay really low, and fans stay quiet.

Best part is I still get better firestrike and Time Spy scores than Max-Trash:p, and run cooler

Like you said, undervolting and Overclocking does nothing within my testing, temps remain the same for gaming purposes. However, for benchmarking, I found small Undervolt + Overclock helps take longer before throttling for slight increase in score... but this is pointless too as you get better score with stock voltage + higher overclock.

Mr. Fox, Papusan, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    As expected:D
    Remember Pascal performing better the lower temp you can go. AC bench next:)

9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Exactly, and I can overclock +200/200 when I'd like, through t on a laptop cooler; and blow their BGA laptops out of the water with desktops scores.

All simple with a click of a button in MSI Afterburner (or any other OC software that saves profiles)

10. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some good progress here with undervolt to CPU @1250Mv static 4.9GHz (I wonder why previously it didn't accept it to run, will try 5.0GHz now), Same as previous GPU clocks +201 Core but increased MEM to +300.
    New self best score of 19115. No undervolt to GPU. Using a standard air pad cooler plus in an A/C room ambient of around 22c. Max fans.
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13615444
    FS19115.jpg

Attached Files:

hmscott, syscrusher, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.