*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey thanks! These HWinfo listed entries are hidden and disabled by me, but gpu's wattage is not present anywhere . (also in gpu-z is missing)
    I always use dd in safemode for get rid off my drivers.
    Now downloading driver and stuff from j95 post

Thanks to you too man!
    going to try in a moment.

Edit:
    cleaning .ini files doesn't works (as resetting from start page, or changing my driver, has no effect) I also have the fck ìg dimm thermal sensors but not gpu watt!

2nd Edit:
    I'd try with these drivers(downloaded from nvidia), no luck for me :(
    378.78 no no brightness ctrl
    378.92 no no brightness ctrl, no watt
    381.89 ok no watt
    382.53 ok no watt, no nvcplui
    384.94 ok no watt
    385.12 ok no watt, desktop drv j95 mod
    385.12 ok no watt, desktop drv
    385.12 ok no watt, laptop drv

3rd Edit:
    1080 gtx Vbios ver is 86.04.5b.00.47

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM
  2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea I noticed pressing EC reset disconnects the battery. Do you press it for 30 secs? I always test by pressing the power button to be sure.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's really smart to press the power button to be sure. I don't think you have to hold it for 30 seconds. If you disconnect the AC adapter with it running and press the EC reset switch it will shut off immediately, just like yanking the power cord to your TV set from the wall outlet. But, holding it for 30 seconds certainly doesn't hurt anything. We all need to slow down sometimes and take time to smell the roses.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    Donald@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope, no problems of any kind. Micro$lop would like you to believe you need Windows OS X for SKL and KBL, but that is a blatant lie. Windows 7 works stupendously on it. I have it on mine, dual booting with Windoze OS X Creators Abortion. You will have to use a Windows 7 ISO that has been modded to include USB 3.0 drivers or you may run into snags installing it. See the instructions posted here [Guide] Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive) - excellent guide by @bfishman

For Windows 7 updates, use the Simplix pack. Much faster and easier. Just does them all in one massive batch and leaves out all of the Windows 10 backdoor filth.

And, you're absolutely correct that Windows 10 sucks. I have lost all hope that it will ever be worth a darn, too. Micro$loth sucks at what they do now and stupid is very difficult to cure.

While some GeForce driver versions do goofy things with the power sensors disappearing, I think the vBIOS version has more to do with it. Some do not have the code for power monitoring sensors. I used to run into the same with different vBIOS version for 980M and 780M. There are no BIOS settings for this.

The best was to confirm this would be if someone else that has 1080 vBIOS version 86.04.5b.00.47 (sames as yours) if they have GPU power settings in HWiNFO64. If they do, then it is not the vBIOS. If they do not have the sensor readings, that will confirm it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    aaronne and Papusan like this.
  5. syscrusher

syscrusher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've noticed one small oddity since installing the @Prema BIOS. Although I turned on the XTU interface option in BIOS, and I am able to control overclocking and voltage from XTU, the XTU data display no longer shows my CPU core utilization and temperatures. Is this a setting issue of something I need to change in BIOS? HWinfo64 *does* read out all the data as usual, so I know the sensors are working.

There are a lot of fascinating options in Prema BIOS, and I'm eager to understand them better. Could someone recommend an online documentation source where I can learn what these mean? Some of them are, at least partially, meaningful to me because of my hardware design background, but to be honest it's been 20+ years since I did circuit design. Things have changed just a bit since then. :)

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Or I can back a few page ago and flash your signed vbios after backupping mine!

Thanks for suggestion Mr. Fox, in the meanwhile I made a post on hwinfo forum

edit:
    tried to flash standard Prema vbios 86.04.2B.00.1B from Mr. Fox's post but still no gpu wattage on hwiinfo

2nd edit:
    here the link to hwinfo forum with MArtin's talk about this.
    https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Hwinfo64-gpu-power-sensor-not-show

TL,dR!
    Fact is: working on win10 because the same nvidia driver (382.53) miss some components (NVML and NVSMI) when installing on Windows 7
    so I would gently ask to @j95 to investigate a bit on this
    (on win10 is section152 and on win 7 is section177) if is a driver or os or "user" issue ^_^

3rd and final Edit!
    got it working after ddu again and importing hwinfo64 5.55-3220 .reg and .ini, on 382.53 notebook driver and Mr. Fox/Prema's vbios on gpu, now I'll try later if changing driver result in showing wattage

upload_2017-8-14_12-18-1.png

Argh! The Prema's vbios pull 203 Watt from 1080 also on mine! going to reflash the stock one, maybe, just for chek them wattage limit.

..And yes, msi 1080 gtx vbios 86.04.5b.00.47 version is 150W limited instead of magic'sPremas one of 200W

..at the end the issue seems to be me ^_^ nor my software, thanks all for your effort and sorry for my english

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 6:41 AM
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, you can give that a shot. Let us know if it takes care of it.

Donald@HIDevolution and aaronne like this.
  8. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My EVOC was delayed last week due to laser engraving and the last minute before it leaves HIDEVOLUTION they found out that they still forgot to swap out the 4K screen to the FHD 120Hz screen so that took extra time and then they shipped it by FedEx to be stuck in transit in Memphis, now it just departed after a 24 hours layover. Still I expect my machine to arrive in my hands by Monday next week. Right now I'm stuck on the go with my Android Wacom cintiq companion Hybrid 32GB and iPhone 6.....work is going to be a pain.

Papusan and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  9. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Before you dump Windows 10, reach out to @Phoenix and let him do his magic. When he is finished, all the cockroaches will be gone, and it will look like Windows 7. If that still doesn't satisfy you, then proceed with the dual boot.

Phoenix, syscrusher, aaronne and 2 others like this.
  10. Mohamed Rabah

Mohamed Rabah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am thinking of buying the EVOC 16L-G-1080, but i have couple of questions.I am going to buy it from HIDevolution so they will upgrade and do all repasting stuff.
    1- Is there any overheat issues with the gtx 1080 ??
    2- is the GPU overclocked ?
    3- what is the refresh rate of both 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) IPS Antiglare Matte and the 4K as i want a 120hz ??
    4- Do i get a MSI warranty too ?
    5- Would i be able to upgrade this laptop later (e.g nvidia volta) ?
    6- do u advice me with this laptop or is there a better one ? because i like the 15" but if it has a lot of disadvantage i wont get it.