*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    well, your describing EPROM versus EEPROM... no ?

2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You should read more about the TRIPOD WORLD!!

I'm sure you are familiar with the Alienware brand, Woodz:D

The Tripod heatsink is the main ingredient in all latest AWbook's!! Birth late 2016!! AWbook 13 up to Dellienware's new flagship Aw 17R4.

UsmanKhan likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sort of, but technically not. Some EEPROM cannot be in-line programmed due to interference on the motherboard. In those cases the chip is still EEPROM, but it has to be de-soldered to program it. That's only because of the interference present only when it soldered to the motherboard. I think the only way to find out is to try it. Thankfully, the 16L13 and the P870 system BIOS and vBIOS chips can be programmed with in-line flashing. No soldering is required. Be sure to use a 1.8V adapter for the vBIOS to avoid frying the chip on the GPU with excessive voltage.

4. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    Alienware ? Who pays attention that stuff anymore... I saw a BGA lineup coming out a few years back. Never looked back again. All I have are memories of flagships like M18X-R2 /AW18 and M17X-R4 and AW17 and M15X.

Huniken, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  5. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does any one have the vbios for the 1080 for higher TDP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. linkhyrule5

linkhyrule5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

I'm new to the custom laptop world, currently seriously considering building my own laptop from a whitebook and parts. I came here because it's literally the only details on a barebones brand I could find, though I only spent an hour or two on looking so I probably missed some.

I have some questions, if there's anyone willing to answer?

First - what are the options on the table? Again, this seems to be the only laptop whitebook I can find - what's the competition like? Even if I end up choosing the MSI in the end I'd like to make an informed choice. (Especially since it's not clear that we can get a version of the BIOS compatible with Kaby Lake...)

Second - I notice that the 16L13 boasts desktop CPU support, but I'm more than a little concerned about heat. Someone who's owned one of these - could you tell me how hot it gets running on your lap, assuming casual use? I don't mind breaking out the cooler pads for the gaming and rendering if necessary. Also, how hard would it be to swap in a desktop-standard liquid cooling setup? (Total newb here, so I don't really have a good sense for what's difficult yet.)

Lastly - Where can you actually buy it? Eurocom only seems to sell the post-customized version - I really want the "blank" version with just the chassis/monitor/motherboard and maybe a CPU attached. MSI's website doesn't seem to advertise their whitebooks at all, too.

7. leftsenseless

leftsenseless Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depending on how you build it, this laptop can either be really hot or have manageable temps. The 7700K needs to be delidded to keep temps down or you can go with the 6700K delidded with slightly better temps. The GTX 1080 can get pretty hot also. Your temps will be easier managed with the 1070. My build is the 7700K/1080 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm really strict with my own temperature guidelines. I never run my system above 80 C. So it definitely is manageable. I never run this laptop directly on my lap either though. I don't think you are going to be able to do too many desktop cooling tricks on this guy. Get creative and prove me wrong. What seems to help the most is delidding, proper application of a high quality TIM, cutting holes in the bottom panel beneath the cpu and gpu, and a decent cooling pad. This is only really necessary when running very demanding applications. You can max the internal fans for most other things and forget about your temperatures.

Other things to consider. This is the only 15 inch book that will run the GTX 1080. It runs at 150 watts with the standard vBIOS. HID offers a fix for that and for many of the other restrictions in the BIOS. A few other retailers do as well. In my opinion, this option will greatly extend what you'll get from this book.

Hope this helps. Good luck. You're looking in the right place so you're off to a great start.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Rage Set, syscrusher, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  8. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can find them on ebay as a barebone. But it is much cheaper to get it with the GPU than to buy them separate.
    Clevo is another custom laptop brand also.

linkhyrule5 likes this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can get the chassis on ebay

@woodzstack is one of the only people to sell new MXM video cards. Otherwise you have to source a MXM video card from MSI or 2nd hand for a big markup.

I think @woodzstack and most everyone here would agree, that buying the system pre-built from him, HID evolution, or Eurocom will be a much less expensive choice.

Most importantly, all 3 of those re-sellers offer unlocked BIOS (Eurocom charges for it though), which would otherwise be impossible without a hardware flashing kit and some advanced know how.

10. TJC38

TJC38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. It's been a while since I've checked in on this forum. I tried searching but there are 700+ pages atm, but is it possible to overclock the standard 60Hz g-sync 1080p display (Eurocom model)? Is there any word on if/when the 120Hz 1080p display will get g-sync certification/compatibility?

Another legit question. Is this scenario normal? I tried running Battlefield 1 unplugged on battery power and was only able to hold 12 fps. I plug the power supply back in and boom right back to capped at 60fps. Is there a way to hold max performance while on battery power? (I tried downloading Geforce experience but it no longer has the battery saver options to be toggled on/off)

Thanks guys!