*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. leftsenseless

leftsenseless Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't have my book yet, so I'm not the best to answer. I've heard NVME doesn't provide much of an increase in performance so they may not be worth the extra cash though. Who are you purchasing through?

Aroc likes this.
  2. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK thanks for info though, I will buy it from HID, when will you get yours?

3. leftsenseless

leftsenseless Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Talk to Donald or Ted. They'll give you all the info you need. If you're not sure how something works or why just tell them your intended use and they'll make recommendations without trying to blindly dig into your pockets. Once you decide, post your build in your signature. You've made a great choice with supplier and machine.

TyroG likes this.
  4. madeinholt

madeinholt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bit of tinkering, no delid yet...
    Screenshot (37).png

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Playing with Linux on the Tornado F5. This SSD used to be in the Alienkiller II and I did not change the hostname. It's now 'Linux-Beast' so I can move it around without causing name conflicts on my home network.

I wish @unclewebb had a Linux version of ThrottleStop, but I probably won't be doing this for long. Only temporarily while I am getting the BPX NVMe SSD replaced on RMA. I'm running Linux on my "portable" Kingston M.2 SSD.

Screenshot from 2017-04-21 12-08-48.png
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot from 2017-04-21 10-46-51.png Heaven.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Aroc, Huniken, UsmanKhan and 7 others like this.
  6. KasperA

KasperA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What did you repaste with? Did you do any other mods? How's the gaming performance (especially temperature-wise?)

I repasted my Fangbook with Kryonaut - and at first it didn't seem to make any difference compared to the stock thermal pad on the GPU and the stock paste on the CPU. But the next day, the temperatures seemed much better; low 80s on both the CPU and GPU in Ghost Recon Wildlands, which is 5-10 degrees C better than before.

This is with a -100 mV undervolt and the CPU multiplier at 42x.

Huniken and UsmanKhan like this.
  7. syscrusher

syscrusher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How about, "I have no idea whether my HIDevolution EVOC has one of the heatsinks, because I haven't taken torn it down beyond opening the bottom cover to install an extra SSD, because.....my system Just Works the way it's supposed to work." :)

UsmanKhan likes this.
  8. syscrusher

Reputations:
    I finally will get a day off Sunday, and I'm thinking perhaps to retry my Linux dual-boot installation then. Thanks for pointing the way.

Aroc and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. syscrusher

Reputations:
    Don't do RAID 0. Just...don't. It places all of your data at risk if either drive fails. You don't need the performance of striping RAID 0 on top of an NVMe SSD. Here's what I'm getting on this machine, with just one Samsung 960 Pro (2.0 TB):

CrystalDiskMark-20170421.png

If you want RAID 1, that will give you a lot of reliability, fully-performant read, but a penalty on write performance.

Don't think an SSD can never fail. I had a different laptop model before I bought this one, and that unit came factory-configured with RAID 0. After two weeks of use, just as I had started migrating my real data onto the machine, one of the two SSDs failed, and my data was lost (fortunately, I had full backups).

RAID 0, in my opinion as a sysadmin, makes sense only in two situations:
    1. You are using it for high-speed scratch storage (such as for the /tmp or /var/tmp filesystem on a Linux server, or temporary database tables that are created and destroyed during a batch job, or for swap space on large servers).
    2. You are running RAID 0 on top of, or underneath, one of the fault-tolerant RAID levels to mitigate the other level's performance penalty. For example, RAID 10, RAID 50, or RAID 60 involve making multiple RAID 1, 5, or 6 volumes and then spanning those with RAID 0.
    Given that you only have two NVMe sockets in this laptop, you can't implement RAID 5, 6, 10, 50, or 60. Stick with RAID 1 if you want best reliability, or just treat the SSDs as JBOD (just a box of disks) and simply have a C: drive and a D: drive. FWIW, if you're doing a lot of gaming, I can tell you that Steam Client does a pretty good job of letting you split games across more than one disk. My gaming tower has Steam games installed onto more than one disk, no issues.

TyroG and UsmanKhan like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Linux Mint is awesome. The only true issue with Linux is the serious lack of awesome stuff for it in a Windows-dominated world. We take very ordinary things like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWiNFO64, ThrottleStop, XTU, MSI Afterburner, Precision X, RivaTuner Statistic Server, etc., etc. for granted. There is almost none of this basic necessity stuff available, and what little is available runs in a terminal window or has a Windows 3.1 VGA quality GUI.

And, that is a real shame because I do think it is a better OS than Windows... especially better than Windows 10.

Here are Shadow of Mordor and Tomb Raider Linux benchmarks with Ultra graphics presets.

Mordor_Bench.jpeg TombRaider_Bench.jpeg

Attached Files: