*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. azatos612

azatos612 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! I’ll try to flash it tomorrow

2. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your display must support G-sync to be compatible with this v-bios

3. azatos612

Reputations:
    I tried it, but it doesn't work either (maybe Tornado f5 doesn't support this type of video cards.

4. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hard to tell. Your problem is not easy. May be you may need professional help and laptop diagnostics.

5. azatos612

Reputations:
    Before I buy gtx 1060, I gived laptop to laptop repair center, but they could not anithing, just said need to cange graphic card.

6. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was able to fit Zotac GTX 1080, now have to deal with the Error 43 problem ... Installing drivers is pain in the @ss with modifying .inf files .
    My dremel just came so I will be modding the water-cooling loop this weekend :)
    I broke a choke from the motherboard... trying to remove the heatsink I put on them few years ago but fixed it and the laptop works. Damn this beast has taken so much dmg over the years.

Interesting enough AMD FirePro 6100 (HD8950) was plug and play and works as a charm. No need to install drivers, all automatic.

Can someone send me the original MSI 1080 vBIOS? I am collecting and testing vBios-es although I think this quest is doomed and will have to try another strategy.

Update1: MSI vBios (86.04.2B.00.1B) 200W seems to work and installs drivers without inf modification, even G-Sync works. It changed the device code from 1BA0 to 1BE0. I think this one is modified.
    However it artifacts even in windows under moderate load. The colors become distorted as well. It recovers after a few seconds I suppose when it drops the voltages or loads. I suppose the power stages are the problem. Tested the Prema mod BIOS ... same issues.

Update2: Small victory. Returned back the Zotac bios (86.04.3D.00.0D) and installed latest drivers 461.40...
    First Firestrike run ... however card draws just 60W
    With the MSI bios successfully benched Aida at 160+

Update3: BIG WIN ... finally got it to run on the Zotac official bios but modded to 200/200 W.
    Problem is ... it works only on external monitor.

First Firestrike Run ~21000 Graphis score

Update4: Still looking for a good working bios
    MSI vBIOS that works in Alienware M18x R1 86.04.80.00.43 (1BA0)
    However cannot find it to test it. Can someone help?

@Prema can you please help with a bios for the Zotac card that works trouble-free in the Tornado?
    I have the Terrans Force bios by dsanke
    EC: 16L1ED61.113

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Semmy likes this.
  7. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You may never get it to work since your GPU sends its display signa via optimus, since tornado f5 does not have one, you can only use display port.
    Maybe i am wrong, i will dump my msi 1080 GTX bios once my motherboard arrives, and ill dump the EC bios as well, you can give it a go and let us know if it works.

8. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Papusan, Mr. Fox and Semmy like this.
  9. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there,
    my F5 is running a modded version of the beta bios 3.12 with the Coffee Lake microcodes integrated and the settings being unlocked.
    I have recently switched my 6700K to a 9700F (can be had for rather decent 180€ if you're lucky) and since that am encountering some funny things.

1. My battery will vanish during gaming sessions, i.e. Windows and HWInfo will no longer show a battery, as if it had been physically detached.
    However, the battery will come back after a few minutes.
    My previous guess had been that it is related to the 9700F's and 1080 GTX's (running a 200W vBIOS) power draw.
    But the same thing happens when I flash the 150W vBIOS and my GPU is never exceeding 160W on that vBIOS (acc. to HWInfo, set to 200ms interval).
    Is this typical for aging batteries (even though I have not encountered it on any other laptop) or is something else going on?
    UPDATE: Turns out, it was due to a stupid idea I tried...
    I had previously struggled to disconnect the battery connector from the motherboard, as it sits quite tightly on mine.
    To avoid the hassle, I had only inserted the connector about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way.
    Since then, I have fully plugged in the connector and the battery stays connected and identified 100% of the time now.
    While I can't quite understand why this had lead to the battery to disappearing under load and reappearing after about 1 minute, in quite regular intervals, the problem has completely vanished.

2. My device has recently started ignoring my VCore settings in BIOS.
    I.e. regardless of the values I set in BIOS (override / positive offset / negative offset), it will boot with offset being 0mV. (acc. to Throttlestop and HWInfo)
    I have read about some bugs with AVX Offset and AC / DC Loadline not being configurable, but nothing related to the CPU's VCore.
    Funnily enough, this behaviour has only started yesterday, more than 1 week after switching to my 9700F.
    I was enjoying Valheim when my device started freezing - reboot - Valheim - freeze again (after a few minutes) - repeat.
    (I now assume that the freezes were caused by the missing VCore settings)
    What is strange to me: I was playing Warzone and Counter Strike GO only a few hours before that without any issues and am not aware of any changes I made.
    Now, I can set Core and Cache voltages just fine via Throttlestop and see them accepted, but setting them in BIOS is not taking effect.
    Is there any specific variable / value I should look into? (I have enabled Overclocking, XTU Interface and set AC / DC Loadline)
    Or has anyone encountered similar behaviour before?

Thank you very much for any insights or ideas! :)

Short update:
    After trying several variables at random, I still can't make my VCore Offset or VCore Override in BIOS stick - i.e. it is stored and reentering the BIOS loads up what I have set up.
    But opening HWInfo or Throttlestop in Windows does not show the selected offset and when Override is set, the voltage will still jump up and down significantly (> Loadline).
    I did try reflashing the BIOS as well and did the -greset part, but no dice.
    For some reason, the Uncore Offset still works as expected, being effective in Windows when set in BIOS.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  10. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Regarding issue 2, i have the same issue, its a bios related issue and coffee lake cpu's since you cover two pins it does not transfer this information from the bios and just uses the microcode which includes the intel default power, there is no communication between the CPU microcode and bios microcode and what changes to ignore and read from the bios.
    Also i might be wrong and its a CPU related issue which is locked, i have the same CPU and i cannot tweak it from throttlestop or bios itself no matter what i set, it will just use default microcode settings.

FrozenLord likes this.