*** MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)/EVOC 16L-G-1080 15.6" Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Yevgeny Stalinsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if you want you can buy some cheap second hand mxm that fits the laptop, mod drivers inf if its not supported and fix error 43 if may occur and buy desktop gpu and ADT-link TB or M.2 and use it that way.
    You will need to change in the bios under system agent -> primary display -> SG
    Clean install nvidia drivers and fix error 43, notice that this will work only with external display as far as i tested.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51862980?
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51864343?
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51864425?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    deathwingbg likes this.
  2. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you!!!

This is exactly what I did. However I am still waiting (10+ days) for my 30+5Euro FirePro M4000 from Germany. Apparently DHL lost the package, that was supposed to be delivered to one of their post offices in Germany.
    Before I burned my 1070 I tested the cheap 7$ PCI-e x1 m.2 NGFF adapter. However could not get it to detect the card. I think I tried that option (SG) but it did not help.
    Had luck connecting a PCI-e sata adapter and it worked as a charm the HDD got detected and worked perfectly normal.
    Few days ago I ordered the R43SG adapter. Reading the egpu.io forums and some videos... Linus mentioned (after not being able to hook the eGPU to the laptop in his video) that in order to get the eGPU work -- RAID should be disabled and PCI-E hot swap should be enabled. Haven't tested that one yet. Will test and share a guide on how exactly to get the m.2 eGPU solution working. Damn I did few eGPU setups 4-5 years ago with mPCIe and it wasn't that hard.

I had **** tons of bad luck with hardware/software for the past month.

Meanwhile I got lucky and got a super deal on MSI GE75 with RTX2080 (for the price of RTX2060 super MXM). However the laptop does not have its original PSU and supposedly has issues with the power delivery due to usage of underpowered PSU 19V/180W, but it works perfectly on battery. Anyway I consider this masterpiece of hardware non-working (as well) for now.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Reputations:

buy a psu, the 330w one from eurocom, it will work with the laptop, or use the one you have for the tornado f5.
    ignore this "RAID should be disabled and PCI-E hot swap"
    If you didnt set up raid there is no reason for it to be enabled, regarding hot swap its not supported on this laptop.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  4. deathwingbg

Reputations:

I am out of ideas about the eGPU setup. Most people out there just plug and play. Me... lost hours ... bricked the laptop 1-2 times fiddling the settings :)
    The Tornado one is 19.5V with 4 pin DC jack, the MSI GE75 uses 20V round jack (7.4x5mm). Is there some kind of adapter I could use (I was thinking about it)? I already ordered a PSU from China 20V 14A, same as the original one.

5. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Reputations:
    not sure if there is an adapter, i thought the input socket is the same, looks like MSI loves to screw with their laptops.
    the method i posted for the egpu setup seems to be working pretty well
    however you'll need to populate that mxm slot otherwise it will not boot.

6. deathwingbg

Reputations:
    It is not only MSI... Why do they all bring that underpowered, overpriced BGA crap in the first place.

At least the performance looks decent compared to the other brands. But it is all on one board CPU+GP+RAM. One goes out and you end up with a 3000 Euro cutting board :)
    My EC chip + some more burned a couple of years ago ... 100 Euro fix and it was working as a charm ever since, until I burned the GPU.

9700K and eGPU or MXM to PCIe adapter and the Tornado F5 easily outperforms this joke of a laptop.

7. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Reputations:
    I've installed the 9700F non-K as the laptop gets so hot under load there is no point overclocking beyond 4.7ghz
    90c on GPU under load and 80~ on CPU.
    Thermal solution for this laptop is at its knees while gaming.
    I've got 2060 super benchmark tests from perfectron and i currently avoid publishing it since something is not right there, the results are so bad its embarrassing to show them.
    I've told them to look into it as something doesnt look right.

8. deathwingbg

Reputations:
    90c on GPU or CPU? GTX1080?

Wow mine 1070 fried at 84 not even 85... I did not put any paste and no fans :)

9. Yevgeny Stalinsky

Reputations:
    GPU gets to 90c under load
    CPU 7700k gets to 90+c under load as well but in games its not getting to that level since its not being utilized 100% all of the time, i was running it at 4.7ghz
    Now I've installed 9700F 65w it still gets to 90c under avx load but usually under normal stress tests its about 75-80 tops.
    I did that to keep the temps down and GPU temps also went down since the CPU heat output is lower.

your 1070 went over 85 for sure, the chip dies at about 110c.
    If you ran it no paste no fans it could crack the die, the temperature node is not accurate so it probably died at 100+c while not updated yet in the monitoring software.

10. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 7700k and GTX 1070 hit 90c when gaming (Hitman 2016, Hitman 2 2018, Far Cry 5) with power settings on High Performance and Fans on 100% max (I only game with fans on max). I would say the sustained high numbers I notice most often are 90c and 86c. It dips lower at times, for sure, but I don't keep track of those numbers in my head as I more concerned with is the heat within limits and under control. To me that answer is yes.

deathwingbg likes this.